Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Arrow - "The Huntress Returns" - 3/20/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-20-13, 06:22 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

With his nightclub set to open and a new romance brewing with McKenna, Oliver is as happy as he’s been since returning to Starling City. But when Oliver’s ex, The Huntress, suddenly returns to town, she threatens to destroy everything and everyone he cares about. Meanwhile, Laurel and her father struggle with the return of Dinah Lance who claims she has proof Sara is still alive. Thea gets Roy Harper a job at Oliver’s club, but he’s not too inclined to stop his life of crime. Oliver and Tommy are thrilled they were able to get Steve Aoki to play at the opening of their new nightclub, Verdant.

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...eason-2-430044

Manu Bennett (Slade Wilson/Deathstroke) has been promoted to series regular for season 2.
Old 03-20-13, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Re: Arrow - "The Huntress Returns" - 3/20/13

to Huntress' return.

Should be some interesting tension with Ollie, especially now that he's dating McKenna.

The actress playing Huntress Jessica De Gouw was just cast as a lead in Dracula for NBC. That is supposed to air sometime this year.
Old 03-21-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like that the show does not shy away from killing people. I found the Huntress killing the marshals, to get at her dad, reprehensible. I think it adds some dimension versus Ollie just zapping minimum wage thugs and creates some moral questions in my mind as to who is more wrong.

No matter how many purse snatching thugs Thea smooches, it will never distract her from her unnatural attraction to her brother.

Sad to see Det. Shiva, Raccoon City PD vamoose.
Old 03-21-13, 01:58 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

very happy that Crixus has been made a series regular.
Old 03-21-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Maybe they are adding too many people and have too many storylines to juggle.

Not a big fan of that channing tatum looking hood guy.
Old 03-21-13, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crixus needs to have survived the island and we need to see him present day, CW. The only thing that bugs me about this show is how many people already know his secret. They should have spaced that out more. Pretty soon his mother and Detective Dresden will be the only ones who don't know. I didn't really expect to like this as much as I do but the fact that he kills and is conflicted ethics wise really helps.

Last edited by danfindlay; 03-21-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm okay with the number knowing.

Felicity and Digg add to the team. Tommy is adding drama and unbalancing Oliver's home life. I'm sure that will eventually spill over to Laurel as well if/when Oliver and her get close again. And Huntress, as we saw added a whole new twist that saw his worlds collide!

Can't say I'm sorry to see the Detective go. The plot wasn't bad, but the actress didn't click for me, especially when paired with Amell.

I don't know if it was something I hadn't caught before or if it was something new in this episode. There were scenes when Huntress challenged Oliver that Amell seemed to be channeling original island Ollie, rather than new Arrow Ollie. It was like a lost bewilderment overcame him again. Good stuff.
Old 03-22-13, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i like that the show does not shy away from killing people.
In regards to Oliver the balance is right, when and if needed and how bad they are.

I found the Huntress killing the marshals, to get at her dad, reprehensible. I think it adds some dimension versus Ollie just zapping minimum wage thugs and creates some moral questions in my mind as to who is more wrong.
Completely reprehensible, one cannot kill innocents to go after the bad guy, that goes against the concept. However she is really just about revenge and not so much going after just the bad guys, was not thrilled with this turn, by killing a bunch of innocent people she is just as much a bad guy.

She talks about he would of killed her, well you are completely insane now.
Old 03-22-13, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She does do insane/crazy well.

Is odd how Ollie calls her out about the lawyer though. Isn't he basically a thug/henchman with a pen instead of a gun?
Old 03-22-13, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how Roy Harper was stabbed during the fight scene. He was doing all those crazy Parkour flips and the knife came nowhere near him. I couldn't make heads nor tales of the whole thing.
Old 03-22-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm still trying to figure out how Roy Harper was stabbed during the fight scene. He was doing all those crazy Parkour flips and the knife came nowhere near him. I couldn't make heads nor tales of the whole thing.
I think you were supposed to be impressed by all the flips and ignore the knife not coming anywhere near him.

This was what a great episode of Arrow should like look, it's only mistakes were the pointless flashbacks to the island. The brief flashbacks did not help the modern-day narrative at all and took time away from scenes that apparently got cut out, like Arrow breaking the Huntress out of jail. They show up together on a roof top and we are supposed to assume he broke her out.

And I will curse this show, the CW and its producers for refusing to call him Green Arrow on it, once again. The Huntress simply calls him "The Hood" during the police interrogation.

This is obviously going to be another dumb decision mandated on the show, like Smallville's refusal to ever use "Superman."
Old 03-22-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Damn, Helena was fucking psycho in this episode.

In the grand scheme of the episode, the flashbacks with Ollie and Slade didn't really work. The episode was really about Helena wanting revenge.

Sucks about McKenna. I really liked her. She said to Ollie that her femur was shattered. It was really hard to tell where Helena shot her at, but I wouldn't think 1 bullet to the hip/thigh would do that kind of damage.

Looks like Ollie will continue to be unlucky when it comes to women.
Old 03-22-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
And I will curse this show, the CW and its producers for refusing to call him Green Arrow on it, once again. The Huntress simply calls him "The Hood" during the police interrogation.

This is obviously going to be another dumb decision mandated on the show, like Smallville's refusal to ever use "Superman."
I believe creators have said in interviews that at this juncture he is not meant to be Green Arrow. Oliver returned from he island and has taken on this mantle to put right his father's wrongs, but hasnt come to the realization that he can be a hero and not just have a narrow scope. He'll eventually get the point where he is Green Arrow.

By contrast Smallville stated "No Flight, no tights." from day 0.

Given how the producers have handled things to date I'd like to think there is merit and a plan behind their claims.
Old 03-22-13, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It was really hard to tell where Helena shot her at, but I wouldn't think 1 bullet to the hip/thigh would do that kind of damage.
I thought Helena used a shotgun on her? Even though McKenna was wearing a vest I would imagine she still took the brunt of the blast.
Old 03-22-13, 06:13 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Stephan Amell has a Facebook that he is regularly updating and answer questions with videos for anyone who is interested...
https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell
Old 03-23-13, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still wonder why Ollie can open a can of whupass on any number of male villains but can't defeat any hundred pound chick in tight clothing wearing six inch heels? For that matter, why does every hottie in every action show have the apparent strength of three full grown gorillas, martial art skills that would send Bruce Lee home crying to momma and a harder jaw than Joe Frazier in his prime?

Last edited by 45shooter; 03-23-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

looked like buckshot
she had multiple bleeding holes in her upper leg and a few hits to her armor, possibly a bleeder in her abdomen below the edge of her armor
Old 03-23-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 45shooter
I still wonder why Ollie can open a can of whupass on any number of male villains but can't defeat any hundred pound chick in tight clothing wearing six inch heels? For that matter, why does every hottie in every action show have the apparent strength of three full grown gorillas, martial art skills that would send Bruce Lee home crying to momma and a harder jaw than Joe Frazier in his prime?
A take on how capable women can be, which is of course true, however body weight and how strong you are will come into play, a 120lbs man could also have some major issues when strength alone is required. I recall when she was on last holding some guy with one hand, unless she is a body builder that is likely not going to work, a lot of men would also have a hard time doing that without the other person just getting out of it.

The fighting skills make sense, many movies do not require large amounts of strength. I know what you are talking about when people appear to have more strength then possible for their size.
Old 03-23-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 45shooter
It wouldn't bother me if they gave the women some sort of superpowers to fight, like they did with Buffy or any number of fantasy shows. Apparently superpowers have been banned from Arrow though in the latest word from the producers.

But the CW surely loves showing their 100-pound actresses doing physically impossible fighting on all of their shows. The stunts are barely believable when they have 240-pound men do them, but become ludicrous when they showcase their lead heroines doing them.
Old 03-24-13, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's all fantasy, man. I'm sure few real life detectives look like McKenna.
Old 03-24-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fantasy adventure works best when everything but a few key elements are grounded in our physical reality. It's pandering to certain attractive demos for the CW, plain and simple.

I never make the same complaint about The Vampire Diaries, in which they show the teen female characters doing all sorts of superpowered fighting. But that show has explicit internal logic and most of them have supernaturally-enhanced powers.
Old 03-24-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like shows or movies to have some type of logic as well, makes sense with the Vampire Diaries because they are supernatural, and am not TOO bothered by she being able to drop kick people three times her size. I take super powers just fine or if they go so far the other way that it makes sense in said universe. A show like Smallville bugged me at times because they did things that made no sense within their own shows logic or laws. He has powers, check! Yet they act like he is human without them, he is still an alien! They do not even have powers on their home planet, or even with the solar flares, increasing powers makes sense, having them go out does not sense he STORES said energy so more energy makes them go out? It was goofy writing that made no sense within the concept of that universe.

Then again so many stories with Superman act like it is a switch, like there is normal speed and super fast, there is no slow build up of speed etc.. which seems like a flawed concept as there is no reason it would work that way.

Funny how I do not care what the Charlie's Angels movies did because they went SO far the other way that it just no longer mattered, they were not even trying to be grounded in anything.
Old 03-24-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
very happy that Crixus has been made a series regular.
Hell yeah, that's fantastic news. Really enjoying this first season.