Dallas -- "Ewings Unite!" -- 3/18/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Dallas -- "Ewings Unite!" -- 3/18/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Work is done on J.R.'s masterpiece as the late oil baron's will impacts the family legacy. Elsewhere, Pamela shows her allegiance to John Ross; Christopher's machinations test his relationship with Elena; and Drew betrays the Ewings.

Episode 9 of 15
Old 03-18-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Dallas -- "Ewings Unite!" -- 3/18/13

"Once a bitch, always a bitch!" Loved the scene between Valene and Sue Ellen. I just wish they had used Valene and Lucy more. It was nice to see mother, daughter and father in the same scene, but Lucy had all of about 5 seconds of screen time. Sheesh! I suppose they'll all be gone by next week, but I hope not.

With one sentence, they killed off Katherine Wentworth, Cliff and Pam's half-sister. Bummer. She was a real bitch (and fun to watch). They changed things a little when they said Cliff's mother started Barnes Global. I believe it was her husband, Herbert Wentworth, who started Wentworth Tool & Dye. That company evolved into Barnes-Wentworth when she put Cliff in charge of it. Somewhere between the time the old show ended and the new show began it became Barnes Global.

I was disappointed that J.R. left nothing to Ray (not even an insulting gift), nor did he leave anything to his son, James, or Cally's kid. I found it hard to believe that part of Miss Ellie's will went into effect upon J.R.'s death, changing the ownership of Southfork. What if Bobby had sold Southfork last year like he had planned? Miss Ellie's wishes for John Ross would have been moot then.

I found it even harder to believe that Cliff was ok possibly killing his daughter and future grandkids, especially with his "son" Frank dying not too long ago. He even told Frank that he was going to leave his legacy to Pamela and Frank. If Pamela's dead, who would he leave it to then?

Glad to see a certain familiar face showing up next week in response to the events of tonight's episode.
Old 03-19-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad to see Gary and Val back on my TV screen again.
Old 03-19-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Loved the parking validation scene with John Ross. He was channeling his daddy right there.
Old 03-19-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So glad to see Gary and Val back on my TV screen again.
Me too. Now if only Abby would show up in town to stir things up, it would really feel like old times! Ok, wrong show, but same characters.
Old 03-19-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Me too. Now if only Abby would show up in town to stir things up, it would really feel like old times! Ok, wrong show, but same characters.
I was thinking the same thing. I would love it.
Old 03-20-13, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably not going to happen. I believe they said the reason those two could appear is because since they originated on Dallas before the actual spin off, they're allowed.

Anyone created for Knots Landing isn't at all.
Old 03-20-13, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That's a shame. It'd be great if they could get cast members from Knotts Landing and revive that show as well.

Is Don Lockwood still alive in series continuity? Maybe they can get Ian McShane to guest star.
Old 03-20-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Joan Van Ark is a monster who shouldn't show her face to children.
Old 03-20-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I was pretty sure I was going to be done with the show when JR was gone, but they have done a real solid job so far without him. Story wise, probably it's best work these past few episodes, but it's still not he same without those JR moments.
Old 03-22-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Probably not going to happen. I believe they said the reason those two could appear is because since they originated on Dallas before the actual spin off, they're allowed.

Anyone created for Knots Landing isn't at all.
I wonder how hard it would be to get the legal clearance. Both shows were created by David Jacobs and produced by Lorimar, and I think CBS/Warner Bros. distributes them both on DVD nowadays. I guess storywise there's really no reason for Abby or anyone else from Knots Landing to show up on Dallas except maybe Gary and Val's other kids.
Old 03-23-13, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder how hard it would be to get the legal clearance. Both shows were created by David Jacobs and produced by Lorimar, and I think CBS/Warner Bros. distributes them both on DVD nowadays. I guess storywise there's really no reason for Abby or anyone else from Knots Landing to show up on Dallas except maybe Gary and Val's other kids.
From what I've heard those who own Knots want nothing to do with Dallas.
Old 03-23-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Evan Meadow;11625492]From what I've heard those who own Knots want nothing to do with Dallas.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it's because the storylines on Knots got messed up when the Dallas writers decided Pam had dreamed Bobby's death. It ruined the continuity. I recall after that happened, there was no more interaction between the two shows (except for the Dallas finale).
Old 03-24-13, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=Evan Meadow;11625492]From what I've heard those who own Knots want nothing to do with Dallas.

I wonder if it's because the storylines on Knots got messed up when the Dallas writers decided Pam had dreamed Bobby's death. It ruined the continuity. I recall after that happened, there was no more interaction between the two shows (except for the Dallas finale).[/QUOTE]

That's it exactly. You just sparked my brain into remembering why.
Old 03-24-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I found it even harder to believe that Cliff was ok possibly killing his daughter and future grandkids, especially with his "son" Frank dying not too long ago. He even told Frank that he was going to leave his legacy to Pamela and Frank. If Pamela's dead, who would he leave it to then?
I agree with you 100 percent. Cliff Barnes has always been somewhat devilish, but this episode turned him into both an attempted murderer and a terrorist. Completely out of character for him. I'm surprised Ken K. didn't complain to the producers...then again, he might just be happy to be working.
Old 03-24-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I agree with you 100 percent. Cliff Barnes has always been somewhat devilish, but this episode turned him into both an attempted murderer and a terrorist. Completely out of character for him. I'm surprised Ken K. didn't complain to the producers...then again, he might just be happy to be working.
Maybe tomorrow night's guest star will whoop some sense into him.
Old 03-24-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Maybe tomorrow night's guest star will whoop some sense into him.
I read somewhere that they don't even share a scene together.
Old 03-24-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I read somewhere that they don't even share a scene together.
Seriously? Maybe in future episodes it will happen.