The Americans -- "Trust Me" -- 3/06/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Americans -- "Trust Me" -- 3/06/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Episode 6 -- "Trust Me" (Airs March 6, 10:00 pm e/p) - A mole hunt within the KGB causes suspicion amongst allies and shatters trust within the Jennings’ marriage. Meanwhile, Stan’s plan to keep his mole safe puts her at even greater risk of discovery.
Old 03-06-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Americans -- "Trust Me" -- 3/06/13

Knew the interrogation was the russians all along, didn't expect mags bennett to get the shit kicked out of her at the end though. That was nice.

The setup of the rezident was kind of predictable also, but effective. I would think he would at least take her down with him, but I think he kind of liked her. And since they were killing him by mistake, then he might just be saying screw you mother russia.
Old 03-07-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I thought the FBI setting up the Russian was pretty slick. I hope no one was fooled by the twist, it was obvious almost from the beginning it was the Russians checking out their own people. I did not expect them to go crazy and turn on their handlers.
Old 03-07-13, 07:15 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Is it wrong that I'm so turned on by this badass side of Keri Russell?
Old 03-07-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This show is so smart, that if the viewer is smart too, it's easy to know that they couldn't be the CIA or any American agency. Too hard for the show to continue after that. This is not that kind of show.

They still delivered it really well.

Keri Russell kicks so much ass in this. When the kids were in danger I was worrying about the guy who picked them up, I was like "poor guy, 'Felicity' is going to kick his ass really bad!".

And again, the Phillip character is so great. Matthew Rhys is doing a superb job there.
Old 03-07-13, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Most definitely not. I like it a lot. She seems like the man in the relationship anyway. Phillip whining all the time about Elizabeth ratting him out or Elizabeth not giving her attention or whatever.

Also I was glad to see the mole stick around. I hope she stays on the show I like that character.

Elizabeth beating the crap out of Claudia was brutal. I thought she was going to kill her.

I wonder if the creepy car guy will resurface at some point. I'm thinking he will.

Another good episode and I can't wait for what happens the rest of this season.
Old 03-07-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They made the car guy so creepy, loved it. Wasn't that creepy, but just enough to make it uncomfortable.
Old 03-07-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
I love Keri Russell but she wasn't a good fit for this very physical role. I guess she wanted a role that went against the type of character she usually plays, but there are scores of actresses that would make the fight scenes more convincing. I don't think people realize how small she is in real life, off the screen. She wouldn't pose much of a physical threat to a 13-year-old girl, much less trained KGB operatives.

I also don't think the character is very likable as one of the main protagonists.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 03-08-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I love Keri Russell but she wasn't a good fit for this very physical role. I guess she wanted a role that went against the type of her character she usually plays, but there are scores of actresses that would make the fight scenes more convincing. I don't think people realize how small she is in real life, off the screen. She wouldn't pose much of a physical threat to a 13-year-old girl, much less trained KGB operatives.
Yeah, rather than thinking this was "cool" I found it ridiculous. There's just no way on earth she gets the upper hand on that huge guy in her house. I can see her slapping around Mags after she freaked out in the torture room, but turning the tables on that monster dude was completely unbelievable.

That said, I'm loving the show overall. The sets & props are excellent, and they're doing a nice job of balancing the American/Russian story lines. Glad this show is sticking around.
Old 03-07-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

The set up job was great.

I agree on Keri Russell ridiculous, but I can live with it.
Old 03-08-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, she's small, it's hard to believe that. But then again Bruce Lee was small too. And let's no think of Keri Russell as Felicity, but as a Russian that was trained since childhood to be a killing machine. Anyone remembers Nikita?
Old 03-08-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I thought the FBI setting up the Russian was pretty slick. I hope no one was fooled by the twist, it was obvious almost from the beginning it was the Russians checking out their own people. I did not expect them to go crazy and turn on their handlers.
i was disappointed philip didn't beat his guy with a phonebook after he tied him to the chair. i was kinda hoping he would pummel him about the neck and shoulders while questioning him about HIS whereabouts, and really make it about "how do we know you all aren't the mole?"

that would have sold me on their selling their commitment to the cause to the handlers. nothing says loyalty like beating your accusers and accusing them.

i can buy felicity handling the guy at the house. she whacked him in the throat and used palm strikes to the face. i like whomever is the fight choreographer for the show.
Old 03-08-13, 10:16 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Plus she got the guy in the house in the nuts, too. Very effective!

Agree it was obvious that the russians were behind the interrogation - but did not see the beat-down at the end. That was intense.

The hitch-hiking scenes were also effective. The guy wasn't attacking them, but was definitely creepy.

Also, has Cozymel's really been around that long???
Old 03-08-13, 10:31 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting note for me on the show:

I used to wear the EXACT jacket that the son wears in this episode. I kept wondering if they got it from goodwill and it was actually my jacket he was wearing. Cannot be too many of them around.

I think this show is better than Homeland. Except for the carport scene, I don't think I have rolled my eyes once. And it is refreshing to see a show where both sides are intelligent and behave like reasonable people.

I still think the difficulty will be keeping the main characters sympathetic enough to the point where we don't just want them caught. The most sympathetic character is probably the Russian mole who is in an impossible situation.
Old 03-08-13, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd

I think this show is better than Homeland. Except for the carport scene, I don't think I have rolled my eyes once. And it is refreshing to see a show where both sides are intelligent and behave like reasonable people.
I think the car repair scene would have worked MUCH better if the cars were facing the other way (ie - trunks facing the wall instead of the entrance to the shop). Would have still been a little crazy, but not as eye-rolling.

It's crazy how this show makes you sympathetic for the KGB. Very interesting dynamic.
Old 03-08-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Also, has Cozymel's really been around that long???
My wife and I spotted that as well. The answer is no. Cozymel's was founded in 1994. I surprised they let that slide given the show's attention to detail thus far.
Old 03-08-13, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
My wife and I spotted that as well. The answer is no. Cozymel's was founded in 1994. I surprised they let that slide given the show's attention to detail thus far.
Yeah i googled but couldn't find anything definitive on when it was founded. That is a BIG miss. It was glaring in the background.

Think I saw a Macaroni Grill, too, but the sign wasn't evident. But the building looked familiar.
Old 03-08-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Pretty much knew it was the Russians with the kidnapping, to test them, as soon as I saw it happen. That creepy guy was just to "American" to actually be a legitimate law enforcement member.
Old 03-08-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a little surprised by the Keri Russell criticisms. I find her much more believable as a badass than the guy playing Phillip.
Old 03-08-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dino88
I'm a little surprised by the Keri Russell criticisms. I find her much more believable as a badass than the guy playing Phillip.
That criticism also applies to him, but his character has been much easier to identify with and I think he's doing the best acting job on the show. Keri's character is a stone-cold KGB spy that apparently doesn't think too much of her own children or the man she has been living with for nearly two decades. It's as much about the character as it is Keri's performance.

Felicity has gone rogue...
Old 03-08-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm more afraid of Elizabeth than Phillip. I actually think I could be friends with him.
Old 03-08-13, 05:42 PM

Exactly - he's much more personable. we've seen him interact favorably with numerous people, and the only friend Elizabeth seems to have is Gregory (and it's not for her personality).

Philip even made a comment this episode that reflected this - "yes I like it here! I FIT IN!”
Old 03-08-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Can the writers for this show also take over The Following, please?
Old 03-08-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Such a great, clever show. Figured out the interrogation bit quickly, but the final beat down caught me off guard. Also Phillip figured out the bit about not questioning Elizabeth, and what that meant, before I did - that was clever too.
Old 03-08-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought the setup was pretty weak. If he really was a spy, there is no way his handler would be leaving such obvious messages at the front desk. The other Russians should have been able to see right through that. He should also have told them about the young woman that suddenly started sleeping with him.

If that is the end of the suspicion on her, it will be pretty bad. Hopefully it is just some long play that he is part of, to make her think that she's in the clear for now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.