The Good Wife -- "The Seven Day Rule" -- 1/27/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Good Wife -- "The Seven Day Rule" -- 1/27/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

"The Seven Day Rule" - Alicia is conflicted when she's presented with a career-changing offer which carries a large financial risk. Meanwhile, Will and Diane face off against their creditors, and Jordan and Eli disagree over a possible attack on Maddie Hayward's campaign, on THE GOOD WIFE, Sunday, Jan. 27 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Read more: Listings - GOOD WIFE, THE on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2JEcSf99O

Episode 13 of 22-24
Old 01-28-13, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: The Good Wife -- "The Seven Day Rule" -- 1/27/13

Take that, Canning

He was a real ass this episode, so that was a satisfying outcome. I also like the ChumHum plotline--not wild about the Maura Tierney one.

The partnership offer seemed pretty baldfaced from the start. Will be interesting to see what happens after that conclusion.
Old 01-28-13, 10:38 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Ugh - Hey look I'm Michael J Fox. I dislike his character intensely, I like MJF as a person, but how they write him into the show bugs.

Also no way Alicia wouldn't know that to become an equity partner she would have to kick in money.
Was a good episode, I always enjoy most of the show.
Old 01-31-13, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoyed this episode too.

And the numbers implied that 4th years can save $100,000 per year --- nice!!! That means they must make $300,000+ (assuming 50% taxes and $50,000 bills).

How the hell did the firm end up in 60 million debt?? They do not seem to be paying ridiculous bonuses, its not a ginormous office, where is the money going?????
Old 01-31-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
How the hell did the firm end up in 60 million debt?? They do not seem to be paying ridiculous bonuses, its not a ginormous office, where is the money going?????
Yeah, especially with them winning cases left & right. Not to mention, very little overhead.

I just chalk that up to a contrivance in order to create some conflict/plot for the show, rather that something they planned out beforehand.
Old 01-31-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't remember where the $60MM came from either, so I did some Googling.

Diane Lockhart: We are $60 million in debt, your honor. This is mostly due to unforeseen circumstances. The loss of a major client, late receivables, and an exponential increase in our lease. We believe if we are given immediate relief from our creditors, we will need five months to satisfy this debt.
We don't have intimate details, but sometimes you have to spend money to make money. And unfortunately, if you have more money, you spend more money. That's all well and good until your income dries up but you're still spending. It can get upside down quickly.

FYI, it actually is a pretty big law office, but we don't get the scale of it watching the show. Sometimes you can hear them make throwaway lines about different floors, and they once were going to expand with more floors.

Mr. Hayden: You’ll get 5 cents on the dollar, and you’ll get it last—after we pay off the lease, the furniture, the bottled water delivery. Then we’ll get to you.
That just an additional quote to consider because it points to making commitments for "incidental" expenditures based on one level of business that sometimes is difficult to immediately cut when business dries up. Sure smart firm managers are supposed to be on top of these things, but Hayden has already commented (early on) about the firm spending like there's no tomorrow despite their debt.
Old 01-31-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the feeling at the end of the show, she was going to make a big move and take up MJFox Cannings offer...

I liked her saying screw it I'm an athiest.. I don't think she appreciated being talked that way by Diane..

I think we might see some scorched Alicia earth in the next eps to come..

especially if the ratings continue to bubble.. they may just decide to rip it up on the way out...
Old 01-31-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never got the feeling Peter would win Governor, so for me it's just watching what happens on that front. But what Alicia did was not cool. She, of course, should not be forced to lie about who she is. But it'd been much better for her to just say that and stick to it. To allow Peter's campaign to build a strategy behind her being a Christian, then pull the rug out from under him... nah.

I get that she may have thought she could play along, but then at the last minute couldn't (or didn't want too -- especially after seeing how Peter's opponent handled it). And of course Peter has a lot to make up for after the way he has treated her (he's lucky she's even standing by him during his race all considered). But still. This was definitely an Alicia who was starting to feel a bit victimized after the events in the office (several new partners, not just her, for the buy-in dollars) and politics, pushing back against the universe just a bit.
Old 02-02-13, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I couldn't remember where the $60MM came from either, so I did some Googling.

We don't have intimate details, but sometimes you have to spend money to make money. And unfortunately, if you have more money, you spend more money. That's all well and good until your income dries up but you're still spending. It can get upside down quickly.

FYI, it actually is a pretty big law office, but we don't get the scale of it watching the show. Sometimes you can hear them make throwaway lines about different floors, and they once were going to expand with more floors.

That just an additional quote to consider because it points to making commitments for "incidental" expenditures based on one level of business that sometimes is difficult to immediately cut when business dries up. Sure smart firm managers are supposed to be on top of these things, but Hayden has already commented (early on) about the firm spending like there's no tomorrow despite their debt.

I get that money must be spent, but what the hell are they spending that money on? Loss of clients, and late rceivable is lack of money coming in, they are not expenditures.

Let us assume a wildly extravagant $4 million per year lease. Another $1M on parties, wine, hookers. That is still only $5M per year. Apparently the lawyers are not paid crazy amounts either. So What else?
Old 02-02-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

You're thinking too hard. Like I said, they're just making it up for some contrived drama - wouldn't be the first time.
Old 02-13-13, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just caught this tonight.

Solid episode as usual.

$600K as a buy-in to be an equity partner? Jesus! Would any 4th year associate be able to afford that? Surprised at Alicia's reaction at the price. I mean how much was she expecting to pay?

But, I was surprised that she didn't catch on right away that Will and Diane were really just using it as a ploy to pay off more the debt.