Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited -- Starts 1-27-13 (BBC America)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited -- Starts 1-27-13 (BBC America)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited -- Starts 1-27-13 (BBC America)

The 4th Doctor Revisted Special will air April 28th, with the serial Pyramids of Mars airing afterwards.

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2013/03/...visited-story/
To celebrate the fourth Doctor’s era of Doctor Who, BBC America has chosen the four-part serial “The Pyramids of Mars.”

Starring Tom Baker as the Doctor and Elizabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, this story comes from what many consider one of the most consistent eras in Doctor Who history. Producer by Phillip Hinchcliffe and script edited by legendary Who writer Robert Holmes, the four part story features mummies and an ancient Egyptian god bent on escaping and unleashing his vengeance upon the universe.

In short, it’s about as close to perfect as a classic Who serial can get.

Fans can set their DVRs for Sunday, April 28th at 8 p.m.

Before the serial begins, we’ll get a look back at the seven year of the fourth Doctor with interviews with Tom Baker, Louise Jameson (who played Leela) and current producer Steven Moffat.
Air times according to the BBCA schedule:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule/

5:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE THIRD DOCTOR
8:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FOURTH DOCTOR
11:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FOURTH DOCTOR

It looks like they're repeating both the special and the serial for the 3rd Doctor.
Old 05-13-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 5th Doctor Special is airing on May 26th, paired with the serial Earthshock:
http://press.bbcamerica.com/program-....jsp?id=110405
BBC AMERICA celebrates the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison, in a new special of Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited. Davison became the Doctor in 1981 and played the character for three years. Twenty-nine at the time of his first appearance in the series, Davison was the youngest actor in the part until 2010 when Matt Smith became the eleventh incarnation of the Doctor. The special begins with Peter Davison, lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, Season Six guest star Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey), Fifth Doctor companions Sarah Sutton and Mark Strickson, among others, examining one of the most dramatic departures from the series to date and discussing the return of the two popular foes, the emotionless Cybermen and the ever-deceitful Master. Following the discussions is an airing of the Fifth Doctor story Earthshock, in which a conference to unite military powers against the Cybermen is about to take place, but the Cybermen plan to interrupt it and destroy the Earth. The Doctor must race against time to stop his enemies at any cost... Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited – The Fifth Doctor premieres Sunday, May 26, 8:00pm ET/PT.
Air times for 5/26 according to the BBCA schedule:
6:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FIRST DOCTOR
6:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE SECOND DOCTOR
7:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE THIRD DOCTOR
7:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FOURTH DOCTOR
8:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FIFTH DOCTOR
11:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FIFTH DOCTOR
Old 05-13-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I wonder if they're going to spoil the end of "Earthshock" right before they show it.

Kind of weird that they're showing a second Cybermen episode in the "Revisited" cycle. I think they probably should have gone with "Caves of Androzani" so they could get a regeneration episode in there.

I really wish that BBCA would start showing the classic Doctor Whos instead of fucking endless hours of Kitchen Nightmares and Star Trek the Next Generation.
Old 06-23-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 6th Doctor Special is airing on Saturday June 29th, paired with the serial "Vengeance on Varos":
http://press.bbcamerica.com/program.jsp?id=102366
BBC AMERICA celebrates the Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker, in a new special of Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited. Baker played the part from 1984 to 1986. Prior to being cast as the Doctor, Baker guest starred as Commander Maxil in the Peter Davison story Arc of Infinity, the only actor to have done so prior to taking the role. The special begins with Colin Baker, lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, Sixth Doctor companions Nicola Bryant (Peri Brown) and Bonnie Langford (Mel Bush), among others, examining the Sixth Doctor’s adventures and discussing his famous foes, including the universe’s most slippery business man, Sil.

The special also includes the Sixth Doctor story Vengeance on Varos, in which the Doctor visits the planet Varos to obtain the rare ore Zeiton-7, vital to the functioning of his TARDIS. But Varos is a dangerous place, where rebels are tortured on live television and executions are used to win votes from the public. Trapped in the dreaded Punishment Dome, the Doctor and his companion Peri must fight for their lives - and save the starving population from the machinations of the villainous reptilian Sil.
Air times for 6/29 according to the BBCA schedule:
6:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FIRST DOCTOR
6:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE SECOND DOCTOR
7:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE THIRD DOCTOR
7:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FOURTH DOCTOR
8:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FIFTH DOCTOR
8:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE SIXTH DOCTOR *NEW*
11:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE SIXTH DOCTOR
Old 06-23-13, 02:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Were these shown in HD or SD?
Old 06-23-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Were these shown in HD or SD?
The specials are shot and screened in HD, with show clips upconverted in OAR.

The serials shown after are SD, and have been stretched to fill an HD screen. What's worse, the SD channel shows the streched HD feed letterboxed.
Old 07-27-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops, forgot to post about the 7th Doctor Special, which aired tonight.

The repeat is at 11:15 PM EDT tonight.
Old 08-01-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 8th Doctor Special, along with the TV Movie, will air on August 31:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/08...813100617.html
BBC America is to show the Eighth Doctor's sole TV outing to date on Saturday 31st August.

The adventure, starring Paul McGann as the Doctor, is being aired as part of the network's ongoing series Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited marking the show's 50th anniversary, and will be broadcast following a documentary at 8pm ET/PT in which current showrunner Steven Moffat and Daphne Ashbrook, who played Dr Grace Holloway, and Yee Jee Tso, who was Chang Lee, are among those examining what made the Eighth Doctor unique. They also discuss a new take on the Doctor's old enemy the Master, played in this story by Eric Roberts.
Also, Specials 1-4, along with their paired serials, and Stephen Moffat intro, have been released on DVD:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/60897...revisited-1-4/

They're doing the same for Specials 5-8, due out 10/1/2013:
http://www.bbcamericashop.com/dvd/do...hth-18044.html
...each retrospective is followed by one full story for each Doctor, including Earthshock, Vengeance on Varos, Remembrance of the Daleks, and Doctor Who: The Movie, presented in both widescreen, feature-length version and in its episodic, original format.

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-01-13 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the identity of the 12th Doctor will be revealed live on television in the US and UK this Sunday at 7pm London/2pm East Coast time on BBC One and BBC America!

The UK Metro newspaper put an article online, which was quickly removed, as the BBC is making an official announcement about the Sunday announcement at midnight London time. Here is the cached article:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...c-one-3908220/

There will be a 30-minute special containing interviews with Who personalities, including Matt Smith, and the reveal of the new Doctor.
Old 08-01-13, 12:18 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a hard time getting in to the classic serials they've attached to these episodes. I'm not sure if classic Who is just not for me or if they just aren't the right episodes. I went to check out the ones on Netflix but unfortunately they had a limited selection, like they only had "The Aztecs" available for the First Doctor and I wasn't very impressed with that one. I'd think something involving the Daleks might have been a better intro to Hartnell for me as a fan of the new shows.
Old 08-01-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
I've had a hard time getting in to the classic serials they've attached to these episodes. I'm not sure if classic Who is just not for me or if they just aren't the right episodes. I went to check out the ones on Netflix but unfortunately they had a limited selection, like they only had "The Aztecs" available for the First Doctor and I wasn't very impressed with that one. I'd think something involving the Daleks might have been a better intro to Hartnell for me as a fan of the new shows.
Old Doctor Who can be a mixed bag.

The 1960s Doctors, Hartnell and Troughton, can be sort of tough to get through for modern audiences. It was filmed on a limited budget with limited production values, and the stories tend to move at a snail's pace.

Pertwee, the third Doctor, and the first one filmed in color, fares a bit better, though it's still a bit dated. The production values went up (ie, we got better monsters) but it's still a product of its time. More action-oriented and expansive than what came before.

Tom Baker, the fourth Doctor, is the one that really broke in the US. Great actor, great Doctor, great stories. If you're interested in the old Whos, Baker's run is a good place to start.

I remember the Peter Davison run being good, but he's a very different Doctor from Tom Baker.

The next two Doctors, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, are good enough actors, but they suffer from lowered production values and bad stories.
Old 08-03-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A head's up that BBCA is re-airing all the specials so far (1-7) tomorrow, Sun 8/4, after the live announcement of the next Doctor.

Here's the full schedule for Doctor Who tomorrow on BBCA:
11:00AM DOCTOR WHO: THE END OF TIME
2:00PM DOCTOR WHO LIVE: THE NEXT DOCTOR
2:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FIRST DOCTOR
3:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE SECOND DOCTOR
3:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE THIRD DOCTOR
4:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FOURTH DOCTOR
4:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE FIFTH DOCTOR
5:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE SIXTH DOCTOR
5:30PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE SEVENTH DOCTOR
6:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE COMPANIONS

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-03-13 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-04-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The specials are shot and screened in HD, with show clips upconverted in OAR.

The serials shown after are SD, and have been stretched to fill an HD screen. What's worse, the SD channel shows the streched HD feed letterboxed.
I like how the show clips are upconverted and left in OAR. The stretched look of the whole episodes, however, turns me off. I really can't watch them at all. I just stop watching them now once the whole episode comes on.
Old 08-04-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I like how the show clips are upconverted and left in OAR. The stretched look of the whole episodes, however, turns me off. I really can't watch them at all. I just stop watching them now once the whole episode comes on.
I think they show them like that because they're afraid that if they showed watchable versions, someone might record them and keep them instead of buying the over-priced DVDs.
Old 09-01-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Strange that Paul McGann wasn't in the revisited special.

"The Movie" was a bit better than I remembered it. The TARDIS interior from this is probably my favorite. I like the gothic look and the sunroof.

It also occurred to me that Grace Holloway might have been patterned on Dana Scully of the The X-Files. Redhead. Physician. Skeptic.

The "half-human" thing always struck me as odd. Was it something they were going to deal with in a potential series? Or was it just one of those Hollywood things where some executive thinks they need to emphasize that the protagonist is a "human" and not an "alien" because they think it will turn off viewers.

I know that Eric Roberts' Master is pretty much universally reviled, but I didn't really mind him. I sort of enjoy the way the Master is handled. Like the Doctor, he gets not only a new face, but a new personality. The Delgao Master was an urbane Bond Villain. The Ainley Master was a sadistic, mustache-twirling villain. The Roberts Master was almost a Dracula-like monster, out to steal a living body. The Simm Master was The Joker.

Speaking of the Master, one thing I've wondered about since I first watched this in 1996, was whether the snake was supposed to a reference to the Mara (from "Kinda" and "Snakedance" from the Davison period). There's the snake, the telepathy, possessing people, etc.
Old 09-01-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The "half-human" thing always struck me as odd. Was it something they were going to deal with in a potential series? Or was it just one of those Hollywood things where some executive thinks they need to emphasize that the protagonist is a "human" and not an "alien" because they think it will turn off viewers.
Producer Philip Segal had a story arc in mind if the show went to series. The Doctor would be searching for his father, the great Time Lord explorer Ulysses. Along the way, he would encounter his human mother. Or something like that.

There's a great book regarding the TV movie by Segal and Gary Russell:

It goes into a lot of detail from rebooting the show from scratch, Spielberg's involvement, Christopher Lloyd as the first choice for the Master, casting McGann and future storylines if the show went forward.

I know that Eric Roberts' Master is pretty much universally reviled, but I didn't really mind him. I sort of enjoy the way the Master is handled. Like the Doctor, he gets not only a new face, but a new personality. The Delgao Master was an urbane Bond Villain. The Ainley Master was a sadistic, mustache-twirling villain. The Roberts Master was almost a Dracula-like monster, out to steal a living body. The Simm Master was The Joker.
I loved Roberts' Master for the reasons you mention above. It was a completely different performance for the character. A desperate Master clinging for his life. Ainley was great in the role but I always felt that he followed Delgado's footsteps too closely. I think the only time we ever truly saw Ainley's Master was in Survival. A chilling performance that was outside how he usually played the character.

Roberts is great in the role. I also enjoy Simm's turn as the Master for the same reason. A different take on the villain.

Speaking of the Master, one thing I've wondered about since I first watched this in 1996, was whether the snake was supposed to a reference to the Mara (from "Kinda" and "Snakedance" from the Davison period). There's the snake, the telepathy, possessing people, etc.
In Terrance Dicks' THE EIGHT DOCTORS novel, there's a scene at the very end of the book where the Master swallows a "Deathworm Morphant" that would allow him to survive death. This all takes place before he's put on trial by the Daleks before the TV Movie. One of the Big Finish audios picked this idea up and used it in a story as well.
Old 10-10-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so the 9th Doctor special aired, paired with the season ending episodes "The Long Con" and "Bad Wolf".

The 10th Doctor special is set to air on Oct 27 at 8pm ET:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/10...013020117.html
BBC America is to mark the era of the Tenth Doctor by showing the episodes The Stolen Earth and Journey's End on Sunday 27th October as part of its celebratory season Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited.

They will be preceded at 8pm ET/PT by the special documentary Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited - The Tenth Doctor, which will feature David Tennant, Freema Agyeman, and current lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat among those discussing how and why the Tenth Doctor became one of the most popular Doctors of all time.

The third Doctor Revisited DVD is set to be released Dec 3, and it reveals the episodes that will accompany the 11th Doctor's special"
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...ted-9-11/18932
"The impossible Astronaut" and "Day of the Moon."
Old 10-20-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the schedule for next Sunday, 10/27, on BBC America:
8:00PM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE TENTH DOCTOR
Celebrate the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant, who played the part from 2005 to 2010 and has become one of the most popular Doctors of all time.

10/28
2:00AM DOCTOR WHO: THE DOCTORS REVISITED - THE TENTH DOCTOR
No reruns of the previous specials.
Old 10-21-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone seen the 50th Anniversary trailer?
Old 10-21-13, 01:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Someone did: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11877458-post39.html
Old 11-01-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the last revisited special airs the day after the 50th anniversary special:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/10...54117.html?m=1