American Horror Story: Asylum -- Season Finale -- "Madness Ends" -- 1/23/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
American Horror Story: Asylum -- Season Finale -- "Madness Ends" -- 1/23/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Chapter 13 - "Madness Ends" (Airs January 23, 10:00 pm e/p) - Johnny sets out to complete his father's work. Lana leads the charge to finally shut down Briarcliff. Written by Tim Minear; directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon.

Episode 13 of 13

So apparently, Jessica Lange, Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson as of right now will be returning for season 3.
Old 01-23-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Horror Story: Asylum -- Season Finale -- "Madness Ends" -- 1/23/13

I can't wait. Really long ending, it felt like Uncharted , but I think this episode should be fine. They may even have a surprise, who knows?
Old 01-24-13, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was "meh" on this season and on the finale. Just didn't do it for me. On the bright side, we get a brand new plot next year, so I'm hopeful. I give season one a 7 out of 10, and season two a 4.
Old 01-24-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wish they could have had one more episode to flesh out some of the ploy points they rushed through last night. However, I'm satisfied with the ending. Guessed Lana's ending a mile away.
Old 01-24-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was a very low key episode for how nuts the season has been, but for what they had left unresolved, I thought that it was a very good ending. I really loved the whole part with Kit, his kids and Jude. Jude's death was beautiful but really made my allergies act up *sniffle*

I am so glad Cardinal Howard didn't get to snake through his way to Rome. He did get the coward's way out, but he was a coward so it was fitting.

Lana is truly god damn plucky.

I am really going to miss these characters. I really came to care for them and think this finale did them all justice. Especially Jude. *sniffle*

I will definitely be tuning in for season 3.
Old 01-24-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree that this episode seemed very tame in comparison to the rest of the season, but it did a nice job wrapping everything up. The abduction stuff was lame all season, and Kit's resolution reinforced that for me. I found that to be a pretty unsatisfying ending for me for his story. I liked how they circled back to the beginning of the season and showed how Adam Levine's arm was severed though.
Old 01-24-13, 08:39 AM

I thought the season and the finale was outstanding, reminded me of Mission Accomplished from The Wire season 3. To have alien abductions, 3 serial killers, demonic possession, and a nazi scientist in 13 episodes and have it be coherent was an accomplishment but I loved the pacing all season.
Also I watched J Edgar yesterday and thought the aging makeup used in the AHS finale was pretty convincing, but maybe that's just compared to J Edgar.

Last edited by cleaver; 01-24-13 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also thought this season and the finale was fantastic. I was hoping that Jenna Dewan would still be alive, but other than that I was happy with how all the resolutions turned out. Bring on season 3!
Old 01-24-13, 09:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed this season, but I never felt the alien element meshed well with the demonic mythology. They just felt too disparate for my tastes. If the writers had played on the clashing nature and allowed these storylines to cross paths a bit more it could have been an interesting dynamic, but for the most part they contained these elements to the specific effected characters.
Old 01-24-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. It was an interesting mix. I still thought that the aliens would turn out to be some sort of psychosis. But nope, them were aliens.
Old 01-24-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My DVR cut when Sister Jude and Lana were talking, the scene where they met for the first time. I guess there was nothing after that. Right?
Old 01-24-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't really care for it. This season had some good moments but overall fell short for me. The alien plot was pretty much completely unnecessary and the demonic possession plot could have really gone somewhere if they hadn't ended it so quickly. I also didn't think for a minute that Lana would let Bloody Face Jr live after knowing he killed people, but I was confused as to why she said she'd never seen him before.
Old 01-24-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

A wretched ending to an unfocused and scattered season. Whatever magic they had in season one was entirely missing in season two.
Old 01-24-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Didn't really care for it. This season had some good moments but overall fell short for me. The alien plot was pretty much completely unnecessary and the demonic possession plot could have really gone somewhere if they hadn't ended it so quickly. I also didn't think for a minute that Lana would let Bloody Face Jr live after knowing he killed people, but I was confused as to why she said she'd never seen him before.
My guess is either she really didn't know and then planned on what she did after she found out. or she did know and didn't want to tell the police so she could carry out her plan.
Old 01-24-13, 02:39 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Where was all this hate while the season was airing? I felt like an odd man out.
Old 01-24-13, 03:14 PM

Ryan Murphy did a pretty long interview about the finale and season 3 here. It's a bit spoilery for season 3 so click at your own risk.

Reading that, I am very glad they changed their mind about having the whole episode being Lana bringing down Briarcliff. That would've been exhausting. Plus, I love, love Jude's ending and wouldn't change that for anything.

So, he seems to say that season 3
Spoiler:
is about the most evil woman ever. Who is that? Elizabeth Bathory? Delphine LaLaurie? I am intrigued.
Old 01-24-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
My DVR cut when Sister Jude and Lana were talking, the scene where they met for the first time. I guess there was nothing after that. Right?
Yea. It ends with a quote of something about "looking in the face of evil". No epiphany or anything. As far as I know. But I am a dense viewer and don't analyze things too much.
Old 01-24-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Delphine LaLaurie seems like a good fit for season 3. Work in some New Orleans Voodoo.

It is "American" Horror Story. That narrows the possibilities.
Old 01-24-13, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Delphine LaLaurie seems like a good fit for season 3. Work in some New Orleans Voodoo.

It is "American" Horror Story. That narrows the possibilities.
Good point, Delphine LaLaurie or Belle Gunness seem like the most logical options then, probably LaLaurie because then it could be like AHS: Voodoo or something like that.
Old 01-24-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am ok with the "aliens" mixed in with the demons and devil......because none of us have any fucking clue what any of these entities would actually be.

For all we know aliens are demons, demons are the devil, and the devil is an alien.

Prove me wrong.....
Old 01-24-13, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Delphine LaLaurie would be interesting, but that story may be a little dark if they want to have a "lighter" season.
Old 01-24-13, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Yea. It ends with a quote of something about "looking in the face of evil". No epiphany or anything. As far as I know. But I am a dense viewer and don't analyze things too much.
Jude told her at the very start that if she looked into the face of evil, evil would look right back. I understood the point of the scene as driving home the fact that Lana's ambition was the root of the evil she encountered. The woman that she seemed to morph into after publishing her book was the woman she was along; her hubris was essentially her undoing, much like Jude, Thredson, Arden, and the Monsignor.
Old 01-24-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
My guess is either she really didn't know and then planned on what she did after she found out. or she did know and didn't want to tell the police so she could carry out her plan.
Old 01-24-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it was a great season. I think it was better than the first season, there I said it.

I barely liked the finale of the first season, and felt the same with this finale, but again, I feel like this was a 3 episode finale so...

I'll keep watching, this is appointment television for me.
Old 01-24-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I don't watch this show but I listen to Geraldo Rivera's radio show and he says there's a scene in this ep where a reporter brings cameras into the asylum and he is claiming they stole the scene shot for shot from his Willowbrook Asylum expose 40 years ago. It's up on youtube.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.