TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Following --> Series Premiere --> "Pilot" --> 1/21/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Following --> Series Premiere --> "Pilot" --> 1/21/13

Originally Posted by slop101

Also, how can this show be anything but a mini-series? The only way to turn this set up into multiple seasons is to really drag things out.
its worked for Homeland
Old 01-23-13, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was really, really cliched. I'll give it another shot or two because pilot episodes usually are among the weakest for most shows, so hopefully they'll have something interesting coming up.

Originally Posted by slop101
Also, how can this show be anything but a mini-series? The only way to turn this set up into multiple seasons is to really drag things out.
I'm sure they can turn it into a Silence of the Lambs situation -- after they catch all his followers in whatever season, they find they need the Purefoy's expertise in catching an unrelated killer, or whatever.

Originally Posted by Rob V
I was very surprised that Maggie Grace had such a short role on the show.
I believe the flashbacks are to continue throughout the season, so I don't think that's the last we've seen of her here.
Old 01-23-13, 04:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

loved it.
Old 01-23-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I thought Kevin Bacon was great in his role. I do not get at all the love here for Purefoy in his role. We've seen the role of charismatic serial killer in literally dozens of movies before and he does nothing out of the ordinary. People sometimes confuse the character's coolness with the actual acting, which is what I think is happening.

I don't see how they keep up the narrative momentum for 15 episodes. They've already blown a lot of their surprises and twists in the first hour and it will become increasingly unrealistic like 24, as the show progresses.
Old 01-23-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was good, but not great. Of course, many of my favorite shows had "ehhh" pilots so I am not put off. I will definitely be turning in for more.
Old 01-24-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Was anyone else bothered by Kevin's character suddenly getting the meaning of "Nevermore" on the garage wall after being there for a few minutes? I would think almost anyone would immediately get the connection, even it you DIDN'T know the killer was a Poe-fanatic.
Old 01-24-13, 03:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

did I blink and miss the scene they showed in the previews with a guy in a Poe mask?
Old 01-24-13, 03:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the initial promos showed clips from various episodes, not just the pilot.
Old 01-26-13, 01:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Apparently she made NO noise whatsoever as these guys showed up in her bedroom and pulled her out (there's an officer right outside her door).
Did you miss the part where both officers outside of the door were brutally murdered?

They probably came in through the closet, subdued her. They made a little noise, cops from hallway came in to check, they get killed.

A slight stretch that those cops getting killed wouldn't have made a suspicious noise of some kind that the cop at the bottom of the stairs would have heard... But the cops outside of her door were definitely addressed.
Old 01-26-13, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I liked the pilot a lot, with only two complaints:

1) They reallly need to work on just HOW this guy is charismatic enough to get people to follow him (they've got 14 more shows to work on that) - as he really didn't do anything in the pilot (and its flashbacks) to show us.
In the flashbacks, his charisma is all in person (lecturing a class, engaged in interviews, etc.).

It's difficult to think he could be charismatic through the internet... but remember that ALL of his known followers were around him in person as well (guard in prison, visited him in prison multiple times).

MY complaint about the prison visitors is - they only check the prison visitor records AFTER the girl is taken, and they find the neighbors on the list (meaning they didn't use any aliases - unless i missed the part where they state anything about aliases)

Wouldn't it be smart to cross-reference the visitor list FIRST?? Then they could say, "Whoa! these neighbors visited Carroll in prison! Maybe we should look into that?"
Old 01-26-13, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
This was completely unrealistic. Kevin Bacon puts the name of a bed and breakfast into Apple Maps and it gives him the correct address? Hogwash!
Ha! Classic Groucho.
Old 01-26-13, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
that was one hell of an opening episode for network TV. I'll definitely be watching to see how this plays out. odd that Jeananne Goossen was replaced after the pilot though. anyone know why? I liked her in Alcatraz too.
Maybe her ginormous mole annoyed everyone else as much as it did me?

I thought she acted just fine, and is certainly nice to look at... but i couldn't take my eyes off that mole when she was on-screen.
Old 01-26-13, 02:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I review for a horror movie website, and one of my colleagues got sent a screener of the first 4 episodes of this show. It came with this:

Old 01-29-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Just saw this yesterday - just terrible. Total paint-by-numbers job. Every cliche you could think of for a "suspense" show seemed to be there. It had me laughing quite a bit at every SHOCKING! turn. Too bad - I like Purefoy.
Old 01-29-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Loved it. The guessing game for the cultists was cool. I assumed Purfoy would just kill the neighbors. Having them in on it was completely unexpected. Same with the babysitter. I'm just conditioned not to suspect things like that when watching TV.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 01-30-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... caught this on Hulu last night. Can't believe that Bacon is 55 years old. I also didn't see Maggie Grace buying the farm in the first episode. IMDB says she's in two episodes this season, so I guess she's not a regular.

I liked the show enough to keep watching, especially considering we're talking about 10 episodes.
Old 01-30-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Hmm... caught this on Hulu last night. Can't believe that Bacon is 55 years old. I also didn't see Maggie Grace buying the farm in the first episode. IMDB says she's in two episodes this season, so I guess she's not a regular.

I liked the show enough to keep watching, especially considering we're talking about 10 episodes.
Grace's character died. She was the one hanging from the ceiling with her eyes cut out when Hardy confronted Carroll.

And it's 15 episodes.
Old 01-30-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Just saw this yesterday - just terrible. Total paint-by-numbers job. Every cliche you could think of for a "suspense" show seemed to be there. It had me laughing quite a bit at every SHOCKING! turn. Too bad - I like Purefoy.
Oh, and I call bullshit on anyone figuring out the neighbors were in on it before that was revealed.