Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy The Sheep Slayer

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 08:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Buffy The Sheep Slayer

Yes, it's Buffy/Angel (aka Buffyverse) sheep!

The game will run Wednesday, January 16th at 11 AM PST.

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, the Buffy/Angel wiki etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. If you're using a slam dunk for a particular question, add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. You are allowed to use up to all 5 of your {sd}s on any given question.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

• Notes: This game will cover all seven TV seasons of Buffy The Vampire Slayer and all five TV seasons of Angel. While the comic books and original film can be considered canon, we won't bother with them for purposes of this game.

In terms of the questions here, "supernatural" mainly refers to Slayers, vampires, and other demons. Witches and Watchers who use magic will not be considered supernatural. My reasoning for this is that witches and Watchers channel the supernatural, but are not inherently supernatural themselves. We've seen enough characters use magic throughout both shows that I don't think there's anything inherently supernatural about magic-users.

For any question specifically referring to The Scooby Gang or Team Angel, I'm looking for long-standing members, not occasional allies. For anyone who has watched the shows, this shouldn't be too confusing.

For purposes of determining canon or judging arguments, I will use the Buffy/Angel wiki as my main resource. Please do not consult this when submitting your answers.

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. If you're using a slam dunk, add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

I will take no more than 20 participants not including myself. The game will start either late this coming week or early next week, depending on how long it takes for me to get a handle on this (it's my first time as Sheepmaster), and real-life time management.

I am not longer accepting entries. We're full up!

The Questions

1. S: Name an episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
    2. R: Name a vampire that Buffy interacts with but doesn't slay.
    3. S: Which season of Buffy is the worst?
    4. R: Name a character that appeared in both Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel.
    5. S: Who was the coolest character in either Buffy or Angel?
    6. R: Name a female member of the Scooby Gang.
    7. S: The love lives of characters throughout Buffy and Angel are explored, often in detail. Which romantic coupling was the best (give me both character's names)?
    8. R: Willow Rosenberg notoriously turned evil due to personal traumas, as did Angel when his soul was removed, turning him into Angelus. Who else has switched allegiances (can be villains becoming good or heroes turning bad)?
    9. S: Buffy's musical episode, "Once More, With Feeling" has been featured in audience singalong screenings around the country. What is another property that has been similarly screened?
    10. R: Most of Buffy's foes were supernatural in nature. Who wasn't?
    11. R: Name a Slayer that isn't Buffy or Faith.
    12. S: The Scooby Gang and Team Angel encountered many organizations over the course of their adventures. Name one of them.
    13. R: Name a male member of Team Angel.
    14. S: Which episode of Angel best shows Angel's conflict between his vampire nature and his humanity?
    15. R: Name a Watcher that isn't Giles or Wesley.
    16. S: To date, Sarah Michelle Gellar is still most famous for playing Buffy, despite appearing in many movies and TV shows. What is a film that she has starred in?
    17. R: Over the course of Buffy, Willow discovers that she is gay. Who is someone that Willow had a romantic relationship with, either before or after this realization?
    18. S: Whedon's writing style is quite distinct, leading to a vernacular unique to his shows. What is the most memorable turn of phrase from Buffy or Angel?
    19. R: Buffy and Angel creator Joss Whedon has only directed three films. However, he has written or helped write many movies. What might one of those movies be?
    20. S: Which character in either Buffy or Angel is the most annoying?

• Last edited by Supermallet; 01-14-13 at 05:37 PM.
    Old 01-13-13, 08:50 PM
    Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
    Re: Buffy The Sheep Slayer

Boom! I'm in.
    Old 01-13-13, 08:53 PM
    DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably in.
    Old 01-13-13, 09:32 PM
    Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by awil1026
    I'm probably in.
    I'm in!!!
    Old 01-13-13, 09:47 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I'll send answers tomorrow!
    Old 01-13-13, 11:20 PM
    DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Submitted.
    Old 01-13-13, 11:39 PM
    Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent answers in. Coincidentally I just got done marathoning both shows a couple months ago, so its all still fairly fresh in my mind.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 01-13-13 at 11:47 PM.
    Old 01-13-13, 11:57 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in
    Old 01-14-13, 12:43 AM
    DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im in!
    Old 01-14-13, 01:31 AM

Decided to try one of these sheep games - answers in!
    Old 01-14-13, 02:21 AM

I sent in answers. I've never played before and don't post very often, but I'm a big fan of Buffyverse, so I figured I'd give it a try. Good luck.
    Old 01-14-13, 03:02 AM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm giving this a go.
    Old 01-14-13, 04:11 AM
    Banned by request

Excited to see some first timers jumping in. It's my first time running a game, so you're in good company!

And Tracer, as a thanks for the resources you shared with me, I'll accept your answers even if I hit 20 players before you submit.

For everyone else, please look up episode titles when you submit. I don't relish having to look up "The one with..." This isn't Friends sheep, after all. I know the rules say not to look stuff up, and I appreciate people doing that. You can put in "the one with" as a placeholder for yourself while you answer all the questions, then go look up the specific episode whose title you've forgotten. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-14-13 at 04:39 AM.
    Old 01-14-13, 04:27 AM
    Banned by request

awil, you missed question 11. Please submit just the answer to question 11 to me by PM, and I will be giving you 10 points for fixing the mistake (but won't give you the 20 points since you did everything else correctly).
    Old 01-14-13, 08:18 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in, I'll get my answers in later today.
    Old 01-14-13, 08:27 AM
    DVD Talk Special Edition

I think my first PM didn't go through, so I resubmitted it. I haven't revisited either show in some years, so I'm sure several of my answers reflect that and am prepared for the well-deserved razzing for it.
    Old 01-14-13, 08:29 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
    And Tracer, as a thanks for the resources you shared with me, I'll accept your answers even if I hit 20 players before you submit.

I'm going to answer the questions now.
    Old 01-14-13, 08:46 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

Sent! Man, those were some hard questions. The name of a watcher not Giles or Wesley?

Old 01-14-13, 09:23 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Got my answers in. I will go for a high score.
    Old 01-14-13, 09:28 AM
    drc
    DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in.
    Old 01-14-13, 09:43 AM
    Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I have no idea what #9 was asking
    Old 01-14-13, 10:18 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
    I have no idea what #9 was asking
    I answered "my parents' lake house"
    Old 01-14-13, 10:47 AM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

radio city music hall?
    Old 01-14-13, 10:56 AM
    Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

#9: Name a show/movie/whatever where people get together in groups so they can watch and sing along.
    Old 01-14-13, 10:58 AM
    DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
    #9: Name a show/movie/whatever where people get together in groups so they can watch and sing along.
    Oh shit

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.