DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dexter -- Season 7 Finale-- "Surprise Motherf****er!" -- 12/16/12 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607307-dexter-season-7-finale-surprise-motherf%2A%2A%2A%2Aer-12-16-12-a.html)

Neil M. 12-17-12 12:19 PM

Re: Dexter -- Season 7 Finale-- "Surprise Motherf****er!" -- 12/16/12

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 11509735)
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm glad this season is finished. Just felt like a convoluted mess to me overall. The mob/strip club/Isaac storyline was a buildup to nothing, Dexter's abductions/kills in broad daylight or at an airport seemed laughably far-fetched and the Deb "I'm in love with Dexter" sidestory was equally half-baked.

I did like the addition of Hannah, and The LaGuerta/Doakes element was a saving grace, but too little too late.

At this point I will watch the final season with hope that it ends strong. If I had not thoroughly enjoyed the previous run of the show (or if this was my introduction to the series) I think I would have bailed early on.

I'm with you on this. Looking back, I wish they had decided to end it with season 5 or 6. Trinity was the high point of the show and that should have led to Dexter's downfall. Instead, they stretched this show far beyond the point of believability with situations where luck is the only way to avoid being caught. As a viewer, you can only take so much of it without it being laughable.

Dragon Tattoo 12-17-12 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11509917)
When LaGuerta initially arrested Dexter, wouldn't they have been free to search his apartment without needing a search warrant? Heck, if they had enough probable cause to arrest him wouldn't they also have enough to get a search warrant? They could have easily found the blood slides and knives, and that would have been the end of it.

Did you miss some episodes this season? Dexter got rid of the bloodslides awhile ago.

bluetoast 12-17-12 01:57 PM

Then they can look at his computer search history both at home and at work, realizing that people he looked up were recently killed.

uteotw 12-17-12 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11510055)
Then they can look at his computer search history both at home and at work, realizing that people he looked up were recently killed.

Yeah, this has bugged me for many seasons. The Jimmy Smits character from S3 found out Dexter had searched his brother, so clearly he knows it's possible for people to track that stuff, so why is someone so meticulous and masterful at covering his tracks so reckless with his computer? I guess it's just a plot device to move things along, since it'd be a bit of a hassle for Dexter to jet off to some random internet cafe every time he needed some info. I guess...

zuffy 12-17-12 03:16 PM

Can't believe Quinn survived this season.

starseed1981 12-17-12 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy (Post 11510183)

Leave Quinn be. Quinn kicks ass.

anomynous 12-17-12 03:40 PM

I love some of the complaints I've been reading other places.

"How did Dex & Deb get rid of the body!111" etc.

Obviously that's going to be brought up next season. It's like asking "why did Deb let Dexter kill Travis?" at the end of last season.

CaptainMarvel 12-17-12 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 11509676)
And excellent end to an excellent season. I was so glad Maria got killed off, she was the worst. And hopefully we'll see more Yvonne next year.

You'll be sorry when we get "Ghosy Maria" all next season!

Osiris3657 12-17-12 04:56 PM

I'm pleased with the finale. It wasn't shocking, but I thought it was a solid season. Certainly a step up from last year.

I don't think there's going to be a new villain next season. It's going to be all about Deb and Dexter and the consequences of the final scene.

SuckaMC 12-17-12 05:58 PM

I was certain that at the end when it hit midnight, Dex and Deb were going to kiss. Ha.

Drexl 12-17-12 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by zuffy (Post 11510183)

I wonder if they're setting up something with him and the nanny, and that will lead to him finding out what's been going on.

Dragon Tattoo 12-17-12 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 11510371)
I wonder if they're setting up something with him and the nanny, and that will lead to him finding out what's been going on.

Doesn't seem like it should matter. Quinn already had his "Doakes ripoff" storyline where he basically learned that Dexter was a killer and they sortof had a silent agreement that he'd back off for Deb's sake or some shit.

Hell, I was surprised he didn't have more of a reaction when Dex was brought in in cuffs.

Kory 12-17-12 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 11509735)
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm glad this season is finished. Just felt like a convoluted mess to me overall. The mob/strip club/Isaac storyline was a buildup to nothing, Dexter's abductions/kills in broad daylight or at an airport seemed laughably far-fetched and the Deb "I'm in love with Dexter" sidestory was equally half-baked.

I did like the addition of Hannah, and The LaGuerta/Doakes element was a saving grace, but too little too late.

At this point I will watch the final season with hope that it ends strong. If I had not thoroughly enjoyed the previous run of the show (or if this was my introduction to the series) I think I would have bailed early on.

I completely agree with this post from start to finish. I'm not seeing what was so great about this season. It hasn't been the same since season four ended.

Coral 12-17-12 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous (Post 11510214)
Obviously that's going to be brought up next season. It's like asking "why did Deb let Dexter kill Travis?" at the end of last season.

Deb didn't let Dexter kill Travis... she walked in on him killing him before she had a chance to stop it from happening.

Anyway, the second Deb found out about who Dexter really was - I gave this season an automatic pass.

We'll see next season how Dex/Deb cover their tracks. There's also the issue of Deb being on record for calling in for a location on LaGuerta's vehicle. It looks suspicious for someone to do that just to know why she isn't at the party yet. Plus for LaGuerta to conveniently be dead when she just put Dexter on the hot-seat for being the BHB is very suspicious... nevermind that Dexter and LaGuerta were MIA for the party. Not enough to arrest him, but I figure someone at Miami Metro would be scratching their heads.

Dragon Tattoo 12-17-12 06:59 PM

Breaking last week’s record, the Dexter season seven finale now ranks as the highest-rated episode ever for a SHOWTIME original series. DEXTER delivered 2.75 million viewers at 9 p.m., and garnered the best total night delivery ever for a SHOWTIME series with 3.43 million total viewers for the night. Sunday’s finale was up 14 percent from the season seven premiere (vs. 2.4 million) and up 23 percent versus the season 6 finale (vs. 2.2 million, 12/18/11). For the night, the finale was up 26 percent from the season six finale (vs. 2.7 million). Season-to-date, the seventh season of DEXTER is averaging 6.1 million total weekly viewers across platforms, its highest rated season ever, and up 12 percent above its prior season through the same time frame.

Josh-da-man 12-17-12 07:58 PM

^Wonder if they'll still end the series with season eight?

DJariya 12-17-12 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11510478)
^Wonder if they'll still end the series with season eight?

Scott Buck said they are approaching season 8 as it will be the last. However, he said its ultimately Showtime's decision.

David Nevins, Showtime's President, hasn't officially said that season 8 is the last. He's been pretty vague. Now with these great ratings, I wonder if he will second guess making 8 the last. Michael C. Hall is only contracted through season 8 though.

MikahC 12-17-12 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11510394)
Hell, I was surprised he didn't have more of a reaction when Deb was brought in in cuffs.

Probably because, like me, he didn't see such an event.

Dragon Tattoo 12-17-12 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by MikahC (Post 11510656)
Probably because, like me, he didn't see such an event.

I guess you're trying to be funny. I obviously meant Dexter.

Bill Needle 12-18-12 12:10 AM

Very glad LaGuerta is dead. If Dexter ultimately gets taken down I am fine with pretty much any living character having a hand in it. I couldn't stand her character since the beginning and it would have been tough to stomach her being the one responsible should the time come.

Bill Needle 12-18-12 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11510394)
Doesn't seem like it should matter. Quinn already had his "Doakes ripoff" storyline where he basically learned that Dexter was a killer and they sortof had a silent agreement that he'd back off for Deb's sake or some shit.

Ha, I had forgotten about that. Add Quinn to my list in last week's thread of people walking around that know Dexter is a killer, though LaGuerta and the other guy Dexter killed came off of it.

Josh-da-man 12-18-12 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 11510689)
Ha, I had forgotten about that. Add Quinn to my list in last week's thread of people walking around that know Dexter is a killer, though LaGuerta and the other guy Dexter killed came off of it.

Quinn was a bit ethically challenged, himself. And, as of this season, a murderer, to boot.

I don't see what the big deal was about the sacred CODE not applying to LaGuerta. It's not like she would be the first person Dexter killed who didn't fit the code... there was Prado's brother, the photographer he killed my mistake, the guy who pissed him off, the hotel manager who tried to blackmail him, Liddy, and Hannah's father. Probably one or two more that I forgot.

It is sort of ironic that the season opened with Viktor murdering a police officer (Mike Anderson) to cover up his crimes and facing Dexter's justice, and closed with Dexter in the process of murdering a police officer (LaGuerta) to cover up his own crimes.

Dragon Tattoo 12-18-12 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11510712)
I don't see what the big deal was about the sacred CODE not applying to LaGuerta. It's not like she would be the first person Dexter killed who didn't fit the code... there was Prado's brother, the photographer he killed my mistake, the guy who pissed him off, the hotel manager who tried to blackmail him, Liddy, and Hannah's father. Probably one or two more that I forgot.

Yeah, but when he starts killing cops who are just doing their job, it seems like that's the point where any rational person would sit back and think "Maybe I'm going a bit too far with this?". It would've been out of character for him to not have any qualms about it.

As Deb pointed out in the very episode, LaGuerta may be a despicable person, but that doesn't really make it right. She was just doing her job. And there's also the fact that Doakes, who was by all accounts, a good cop and not a serial killer, is still going down in history as the Bay Harbor butcher.

mickey65 12-18-12 06:20 AM

I thought in all it was a great season - loved every moment of it. And can't wait to get the DVD set to watch it all "marathon style" in about two days time!

mphtrilogy 12-18-12 08:42 AM

I liked the season, but did not like the finale.. really though they botched Deb up..

would have liked to see a better cliffhanger maybe Deb getting killed by LaGuerta, then Dex killing her..

then you can bring back his icy killer girlfriend and have them go at it for the final season..

oh well.. good season tho and I will be watching what hopefully will be the final season next year...