DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dexter -- Season 7 Finale-- "Surprise Motherf****er!" -- 12/16/12 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607307-dexter-season-7-finale-surprise-motherf%2A%2A%2A%2Aer-12-16-12-a.html)

bluetoast 01-12-13 05:17 PM

Re: Dexter -- Season 7 Finale-- "Surprise Motherf****er!" -- 12/16/12

I've always wanted to have a Breaking Bad/Mad Men Sunday, but I realize that would be severely stacking the deck for AMC.

DJariya 01-12-13 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11537435)
I've always wanted to have a Breaking Bad/Mad Men Sunday, but I realize that would be severely stacking the deck for AMC.

Mad Men will start in March. It will be over by the time summer rolls around.

Deftones 01-12-13 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11537433)
Breaking Bad is July 14th

not official yet. Aaron Paul tweeted that, but then said that might not be the official date.

dex14 01-12-13 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11537442)

I heard April 7th?

dino88 01-12-13 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11537472)
I heard April 7th?

That seems likely. It won't start up in March, because The Walking Dead doesn't end until 3/31.

bluetoast 01-12-13 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11537442)

I know, hence why I implied it won't happen. And can't ever happen, since BB is ending.

mickey65 01-13-13 06:11 AM

It's official...Season 8 of Dexter starts June 30th! Can't wait!!!

windom 01-13-13 06:24 PM

It sounds like Showtime isn't ready yet to confirm that next season will be the last. I think it'll come back for at least one more season after this summer. I think they've found new possibilities in the new Dexter/Deb pairing they have going.

dsa_shea 01-13-13 09:48 PM

I wouldn't mind more seasons of Dexter as long as it stays fresh and doesn't teeter too far into the land of being ridiculous.

anomynous 01-13-13 10:05 PM

I don't see the Deb and Dex relationship being a cause for extending the show.

They were setting it up in season 6 for that and announced 8 was the final season afterwards

DJariya 01-13-13 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous (Post 11539057)
I don't see the Deb and Dex relationship being a cause for extending the show.

They were setting it up in season 6 for that and announced 8 was the final season afterwards

The President of Showtime has not officially said season 8 is the last. He said he won't offically announce it's status until season 8 starts airing.

anomynous 01-13-13 10:39 PM

Yeah, I know.

Hence my post.

Mike86 01-13-13 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11539078)
The President of Showtime has not officially said season 8 is the last. He said he won't offically announce it's status until season 8 starts airing.

As much as I love the series I hope it is the end to be honest. It's just time for it to be done in my opinion and if they take it too much further it'll just overstay it's welcome. It's already gone longer than I ever expected it to when I first started watching.

To me with the way the last season ended it makes sense to have this season be the final and just build it up so that Dexter and Deb get looked into closer after the death of LaGuerta. That to me seems like it was meant to be the turning point for the show and will ultimately decide the fate of Dexter and Deb as to whether they get caught, killed, or whatever other fate the writers have in mind. Dexter was so careful for so many years and this is one kill that he's just not going to be able to easily explain away without a bunch of his peers giving him strange looks. At this point I don't see what else they really have left to explore and to have the show go on further would be kinda lame if you ask me.

mickey65 01-14-13 07:15 AM

Jennifer Carpenter had responded to a Dexter fan's post, Tweeting that this season will be the last. I had that in my FB feed last night from a Dexter page I subscribe to.

Goat3001 01-14-13 08:52 AM

Smart move by Showtime by separating Dexter and Homeland. Now I'll have a reason to pay for Showtime all year long rather than cutting it in the summer as I usually do.

uteotw 01-14-13 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 11539338)
Smart move by Showtime by separating Dexter and Homeland. Now I'll have a reason to pay for Showtime all year long rather than cutting it in the summer as I usually do.

Yup, they got me too. Not thrilled about it--loved Dexter and Homeland on Sunday nights together but oh well. Just rewatched this finale--it was darn good--and it sure seems like they're bringing the series to an end. I really wonder what they have in mind for Dexter: caught, killed, or continuing on (I'm guessing not the last one)...

That'sAllFolks 01-17-13 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 11509735)
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm glad this season is finished. Just felt like a convoluted mess to me overall. The mob/strip club/Isaac storyline was a buildup to nothing, Dexter's abductions/kills in broad daylight or at an airport seemed laughably far-fetched and the Deb "I'm in love with Dexter" sidestory was equally half-baked.

I did like the addition of Hannah, and The LaGuerta/Doakes element was a saving grace, but too little too late.

At this point I will watch the final season with hope that it ends strong. If I had not thoroughly enjoyed the previous run of the show (or if this was my introduction to the series) I think I would have bailed early on.

I was really looking forward to the Showtime free weekend and burned through Dexter S7 in a couple of days. Too many people keep discovering his secret that seem to go along with it for one reason or another ... or they are eliminated by someone else. This needs to end.

dex14 01-24-13 04:46 PM

Charlotte Rampling (The Duchess) and Sean Patrick Flanery (Boondock Saints) have been tapped to recur on the eighth and potentially final season of Dexter, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Rampling will play a neuro-psychiatrist who works with young psychopaths and profiles criminals in unorthodox ways, as first reported by EW.

Flanery, meanwhile, will portray Jacob Elroy, an ex-cop and owner of a Miami-set PI firm.

Speaking to reporters earlier this month at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, Showtime entertainment president David Nevins said a final decision on Dexter's future likely would come closer to the show's June 30 return. Executive producer Scott Buck, meanwhile, said the writers were approaching next season with the finish line in clear sight.

"We are absolutely writing it with an end in sight, but if we get told otherwise somewhere along the way, we'll take it in a different direction. But we are definitely working toward the finale of the series," he told THR.

Word on whether Yvonne Strahovski will return, meanwhile, is still to be determined.

Rampling is repped by Diamond Management; Flanery is with Inphenate and Barns, Morris, Yorn.