TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm assuming those of you who are mad it's coming back don't think this show has a sustainable premise to last multiple seasons.
I didn't really care one way or the other on renewal, as I figured it would get renewed due to its ratings. The show so far has shown no intelligent foresight in plotting out an arc and the general lack of quality in the writing indicates to me there was never much of a long-term plan to begin with.
Old 07-29-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ This is kind of like doing a 13 episode show on Cujo and then having a second season where another dog traps some people or the people stay trapped --- but longer. Everyone wants to know what is the dome, why is it here??? Instead we get a second season of nonsensical story lines that will flirt with theories but never get to the asinine ending.
Old 07-29-13, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like so many others, I'm done with the announcement of a second season. I expect the ratings will hold up for the remainder of the first season, since the general public is ignorant to things like renewals, but season 2 will probably be a ratings failure. There will no doubt be a good deal of outrage when the origin of the dome isn't revealed in the season 1 finale.
Old 07-29-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

hmmm. i'm now trying to figure out if i want to read how the book ends and what the dome is since this is going to continue next season. i assumed it would be a one off series, so we'd find out what happened.
Old 07-29-13, 05:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I would love for the end of S1 to show the removal of the dome, and while everyone is rejoicing in the street it is replaced by an invisible cube, cut to black.
Old 07-29-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No one should be shocked that it got a second season...that was the plan all along by everyone involved with the show once the decision was made to put it on CBS.

The good news here is that:

a) They're keeping it a summer series

and

b) They're keeping it to 13 episodes per season
The joy of ten months between seasons so things can feel even longer. It feels padded enough being a thirteen episode series with this concept. It is okay to have limited series networks!

Originally Posted by RichC2
No thank you. I was totally in when I heard this was going to be a limited series, then backed out once I heard there was potential for multiple seasons.
I likely will watch based on just being curious, the concept is not strong enough for season(S).

Originally Posted by dex14
Fuck this...
Just about.

Originally Posted by Rob V
This means they'll never offically reveal the cause of the dome until at least next season. A second season is absolutely horsecrap.
It was going to be bad enough as it is, now it will likely be at least a year before anyone knows what it is. Or it will just be canceled on a cliffhanger as that is what networks do to half their shows.

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Meh, I'm out. I was tuning in for a limited-run self-contained story, and this isn't interesting enough for me to commit beyond that.
Television here has no idea for the most part how to just tell a limited story, more then a movie less then a series. I really like that idea if someone could ever do it right. A concept like this could really be even be six or seven episodes and tell their story, not several seasons.
Old 07-29-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

2nd season, huh? I'd be excited by this news if I really enjoyed the characters, but the only thing keeping me coming back is pure curiosity about the dome itself. I suppose now they'll prolong the mystery of what it is, where it came from and if it can be removed well beyond the Season 1 finale. Don't know that I have that much patience left for it.
Old 07-29-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

What the hell is wrong with the TV world when people are complaining that a show gets RENEWED?

I just don't get why people would rather see CBS air reruns than new episodes. Sorry, but I see this as great news. A scripted summer series based in the US being renewed by an OTA network for a second season? Can you even name the last time that happened?

I don't mind the Canadian imports we've gotten over the last few years, but it's nice to see a US show actually succeed in the summer.

What's worse, you're complaining about things that you have no idea about. How do you know they aren't going to give answers by the end of the season? They could go in a completely different direction for Season 2. I mean you guys are acting like this is the season 1 finale of The Killing here. By the way, renewing The Killing did give us a pretty solid Season 3 for that show. I'm not saying what they did at the end of Season 1 was a good idea (it wasn't and Season 2 sucked because of it), I'm saying that renewing a show doesn't mean the storytelling has to fail.

6 Seasons and a movie!
Old 07-29-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The problem is that the show's already shit the bed so bad, it can not recover. No one cares about the characters and that is the main problem.
Old 07-29-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
What the hell is wrong with the TV world when people are complaining that a show gets RENEWED?
I have been thinking or saying for years that not every concept needs to be dragged out for multiple seasons. There are many shows that it works for while others work better with either shorter seasons or should be a limited series.

I would be much happier with this concept being a limited series as the entire time I am basically waiting to find out why the dome is there and I rather not wait five seasons to find out. Likely not worth the wait nor being dragged out that long.

I know other counties are better about mini series, the states seem to hate the concept when it would be great to have some of them for stories that need more then two hours yet less then seasons.

Originally Posted by slop101
The problem is that the show's already shit the bed so bad, it can not recover. No one cares about the characters and that is the main problem.
A few are okay yet not sure how I care if anything happens to most of them.
Old 07-29-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I just don't get why people would rather see CBS air reruns than new episodes. Sorry, but I see this as great news. A scripted summer series based in the US being renewed by an OTA network for a second season? Can you even name the last time that happened?

I don't mind the Canadian imports we've gotten over the last few years, but it's nice to see a US show actually succeed in the summer.

What's worse, you're complaining about things that you have no idea about. How do you know they aren't going to give answers by the end of the season? They could go in a completely different direction for Season 2. I mean you guys are acting like this is the season 1 finale of The Killing here. By the way, renewing The Killing did give us a pretty solid Season 3 for that show. I'm not saying what they did at the end of Season 1 was a good idea (it wasn't and Season 2 sucked because of it), I'm saying that renewing a show doesn't mean the storytelling has to fail.

6 Seasons and a movie!
I have to believe that the streaming deal with Amazon also played a key part in the show getting renewed.

A lot of misconceptions about this show. Some bad reporting by the media calling this a "Miniseries." I found this Deadline article from May with quotes from the Producers:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/summ...cbs-long-road/

Vaughan and Baer object to calling the resulting Under The Dome a miniseries or even a limited series. Baer says the idea is to bring it back “for many summers” for 13 serialized episodes each time. Says Vaughan: “At the very beginning, CBS said: ‘We don’t want to cede the summer to cable. We want to compete with them. We want to do something that’s dark and edgy and a little bit more complicated.’ ”
Old 07-29-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Nobody who works on the show or even any of the actors said that this was a miniseries. That was just a bad assumption by some people in the media.

Dean Norris was on Jimmy Kimmel before it premiered and he even said it would hopefully be on ongoing series.

I read another article from Brian Vaughan and he said the ending of the series, whenever it is, is going to be completely different from the book.
Old 07-29-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Nobody who works on the show or even any of the actors said that this was a miniseries. That was just a bad assumption by some people in the media.

Dean Norris was on Jimmy Kimmel before it premiered and he even said it would hopefully be on ongoing series.

I read another article from Brian Vaughan and he said the ending of the series, whenever it is, is going to be completely different from the book.
It seems like it is loosely based on the book which then could be said to almost be based on the concept of a dome which a few series stories have done. Maybe some assumed it was a limited series because the concept does not call for any more then that without tons of padding or people acting ridiculous. Then there is the horrible time table of being off for nine to ten months likely ending on a cliffhanger.
Old 07-29-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought tonight's episode (7/29) was decent because we finally saw some fighting and looting that I thought was long overdue. I hope just because it rained inside the dome that the people of Chester's Mill don't go back to being nice. There's still limited food supplies, medicine, etc., so people should still be very selfish, possessive and willing to commit crimes they wouldn't commit under normal circumstances. I'd love it if life for these people were depicted as brutally and hardcore as life is depicted on The Walking Dead, but I know that will never happen on a show that airs on CBS.

I'm glad the girl didn't end up back in Big Jim's bunker since I grew tired of the kidnapping story awhile ago. I'm sure the guy with all the water is going to get taken out soon (probably by Big Jim) since he's being a dick about sharing it. I found it hard to believe that the red head suddenly cared for Barbie. Wasn't it just yesterday that she was suspicious of him and told him to get out of her house? Now she's sucking face with him?
Old 07-30-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I would love for the end of S1 to show the removal of the dome, and while everyone is rejoicing in the street it is replaced by an invisible cube, cut to black.
Budget cuts for the second season will not leave enough in the special effects budget for a cube. Maybe a pyramid?
Old 07-30-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angie has the worst luck of any character since Sarah Paulson's in American Horror Story: Asylum.

Recap:
Imprisoned by boyfriend
Found by boyfriend's father, but imprisoned again
Let go by boyfriend's father
Found by boyfriend
Escapes boyfriend
Beat up by looters, nearly raped
Rescued, then given to boyfriend's father

The writers must really hate her.
Old 07-30-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This show has never-ending "Perils of Pauline" quality to it. I wanted it to wrap up, not have a 2nd season. Not sure I'm up for that.
Old 07-30-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

6 Seasons and a movie!
Because when you stretch out a concept based on ratings, you get S6 of Lost --- a shit-ton of stuff that doesn't apply and forces new characters and concepts that aren't necessary. The cause of the dome is the single point of the show... no need to give us 2, 3 or 4 seasons of anarchy, health deterioration or civil war when they can just give the answer at week 13.
Old 07-30-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Angie has the worst luck of any character since Sarah Paulson's in American Horror Story: Asylum.

Recap:
Imprisoned by boyfriend
Found by boyfriend
Escapes boyfriend

Not as much as King did in his book
Old 07-30-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I finally threw in the towel and read a synopsis of the book's plot and spoilers. I might catch future episodes, I might not, but this show really does not interest me anymore.
Old 07-30-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia

Recap:
Imprisoned by boyfriend
Found by boyfriend
Escapes boyfriend

Agree. Plus, her walking into that restaurant pretty much led to the owner getting killed.

I enjoyed last night's episode. It was good actually seeing Chesters Mill go into some sort of anarchy with the looting and people beating each other up for the dwindling supplies.

The only thing that I cringed seeing was Barbie and Julia hook up, which was inevitable. That was pretty damn cheesy.
Old 07-30-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Being an insulin dependent diabetic, a natural disaster where I can't get insulin is a nightmare of mine. I'm glad the show covered it. However, they should have consulted someone with the disease before making it a plot point. The kid had about a years worth of insulin there, typically you don't get that much at a time because it gets tricky to keep it viable after about 6 months. Also, at the end of the show they called the entire bottle they got "one dose" which is goofy.
Old 07-30-13, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob
However, they should have consulted someone with the disease before making it a plot point. The kid had about a years worth of insulin there, typically you don't get that much at a time because it gets tricky to keep it viable after about 6 months.
Can you really amass an insulin supply that large? Prescription pharmaceuticals are so tightly controlled these days that getting even slightly ahead on your refills gets you flagged, no matter your innocent intent.

Lack of power, and thus refrigeration, is going to shorten that time considerably.

A lot of people are going to get unhealthy or dead very quickly from lack of meds, especially the elderly.
Old 07-30-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Being an insulin dependent diabetic, a natural disaster where I can't get insulin is a nightmare of mine.
If you're diabetic and run out of insulin, consider not eating any carbs.
Old 07-30-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MikahC
If you're diabetic and run out of insulin, consider not eating any carbs.
Yeah, that and drink lots of water. However, that just stalls the process. Eventually everything you eat turns into sugar. I don't take insulin if I just eat a steak and salad, but I have to check my levels about 6 hours later and set my pump to give me a dose to correct the amount I've gone up from the protein.

But even if you don't eat your body still will produce sugar as it uses up fat storage in the body.

I would probably restrict my eating to just tiny amounts of proteins and fat to ward off total starvation as long as I could and let my pump just tread water enough to keep me alive. But, once my test strips run out I'll be guessing my levels...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.