TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Nashville (now on CMT) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: Nashville (ABC) - Series Thread

Originally Posted by windom
Could the cast be any whiter? This makes HBO's "Girls" look diverse. Doesn't this take place in the South?
Uhhh, it takes place in Nashville, Tennessee.
Old 10-13-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Could the cast be any whiter? This makes HBO's "Girls" look diverse. Doesn't this take place in the South?
What did you expect in a show about country music? Exactly how many black country singers are there? Charlie Pride... but that was ages ago.
Old 10-13-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Easy
What did you expect in a show about country music? Exactly how many black country singers are there? Charlie Pride... but that was ages ago.
You forgot Hootie.
Old 10-14-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ Uh... Cowboy Troy????
Old 10-17-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Nashville -- "I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)" -- 10/17/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

"I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)" - Teddy's mayoral campaign is moving ahead and Rayna reluctantly endures an investigation that reveals some explosive family secrets. Meanwhile Coleman Carlisle is starting to lay down the groundwork for his campaign when he discovers Lamar is poised to go head to head with him, even if it means exposing his longtime friend; Juliette, who will stop at nothing when it comes to getting her hands on Deacon, sees him perform with Rayna at the Bluebird, and it's clear that not all feelings fade with time; and Scarlett is torn between pursuing her dream of songwriting with Gunnar and her commitment to Avery, on "Nashville," WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 17 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.
Old 10-18-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nashville -- "I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)" -- 10/17/12

This may be a good time to move this show to the one and only format for threads.

That said, my wife really likes this show and I find it tolerable (particularly if they keep pushing the network limits on how little Juliette wears). It has been a while since I've seen one of these shows well done. It's no Dallas (the original, not the TNT), but I see some potential here.
Old 10-18-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I really like it despite being sure I'd hate it

Great songs.
Old 10-18-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The bad news is that the show bled viewers between 10 and 10:30 last night. It finished at under a 2 in the demo, which leads people who know more about ratings than me to worry about the show.

I do know apparently American Horror Story did better than it in the demo.
Old 10-18-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the second episode. The only characters I don't care for too much are Teddy and Scarlett's boyfriend.
Old 10-18-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

If it bled viewers in the second half, maybe that means they did something stupid that put people off.

Or...viewers saw Connie Britton and thought they were watching AHS until they realized it was on a different network .

I think the show needs a different timeslot, as even Revenge didn't achieve its full potential on Wednesdays. Perhaps pull a Dallas and put it on Friday evenings.
Old 10-18-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

I think the show needs a different timeslot, as even Revenge didn't achieve its full potential on Wednesdays. Perhaps pull a Dallas and put it on Friday evenings.
These are different times. No show will ever become a hit on Friday night again.
Old 10-18-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they don't care too much about the demo, I'd say move it to Monday nights, move Castle to Sundays, and move Revenge back to Wednesdays.
Old 10-18-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Entertaining 2nd episode. For all intents and purposes, this is a soap opera with country music as the backdrop.

Really liking the music. Deacon's duet with Rayna was nice. I got a kick when he called Rayna to the front and that infuriated Juliette. I also enjoyed the songs that Juliette sang as well.

and man, Deacon is such a scumbag. Banging Juliette and now he and Rayna have this "thing"

Jolene's boyfriend is an idiot. Not a chance in hell they stay together. If the show makes it, she'll be sleeping with Gunnar before the season is over.
Old 10-18-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another solid ep, though I thought the duet at the end was pretty weak.

The one thing that's not working for me is all this venom Juliette has for Rayna. It doesn't make sense - Juliette is in the prime of her career, while Rayna's star is on the decline. I know she wants to pilfer Rayna's co-writer, but that doesn't explain it. Maybe she treats all the competition that way.

Sucks to hear about the ratings. ABC's really struggling with their new dramas.
Old 10-19-12, 10:45 PM

^She overheard Rayna badmouthing her from the bedroom, so, that seems to be where this business really comes from. Not any kind of fan of Juliette myself, but it'd be interesting to see whether this escalates into a brawl between them or if Juliette suddenly has a vulnerable moment and Rayna reaches out to her.
Old 10-24-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Nashville -- "Someday You'll Call My Name" -- 10/24/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

"Someday You'll Call My Name" - Rayna immerses herself in her kids' lives and her husband's campaign, and is sobered to learn that she and Teddy are facing financial ruin; Juliette offers Deacon an exclusive contract to write and tour with her; and Juliette's troubled mother, Jolene, re-enters her daughter's life in dramatic fashion. Meanwhile, Scarlett and Gunnar's big break with Watty is threatened, on "Nashville," WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 24 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Episode 3 of 13 (still on original episode order) The ratings need to stabilize or better yet grow if this show will make it.
Old 10-25-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Nashville -- "Someday You'll Call My Name" -- 10/24/12

I like this show much more than I thought I would. It strikes me odd that Scarlet, who is a secondary character, has the best voice on the show by far and gets the best songs.
I was thinking that Rayna would hire that young duo (Scarlet& Gunnar) to open for her and they would hit big and save her tour.
Old 10-25-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Still enjoying this show a lot. There are so many interwoven characters/stories, that it's pretty easy to keep things fresh/changing.

I have a feeling I'll be in for the long haul if this keeps up like it's started.
Old 10-26-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
I was thinking that Rayna would hire that young duo (Scarlet& Gunnar) to open for her and they would hit big and save her tour.
I think that's exactly where they are going with those two, otherwise what would be the point of giving them so much air time.

I'm glad the writer that was featured in the first episode has faded into the backround. Just too many similarly looking white guys for me to keep track of them all.
Old 10-26-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Just too many similarly looking white guys for me to keep track of them all.
Too true!
Old 10-26-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

I love the music on this show.

Gunnar's duet with Scarlett at the end was really good. I think that was the highlight of the episode.

For a supporting character, I've become quite invested in Scarlett's storyline. She's not only beautiful, but has a really good voice.

It must suck that Rayna has made millions of dollars in her career, but at 40-something, she can barely afford to keep her house. At least this show isn't sugar coating how being a star on-stage doesn't mean you will always have success off it.

My only complaint, which I find kind of annoying, is the whole Rayna-Deacon thing. I get that they used to date etc, but you know she has a family now. Move on Rayna. Stop dwelling in the past. At least Deacon is kind of moving on sleeping with Juliette.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-26-12 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
My only complaint, which I find kind of annoying, is the whole Rayna-Deacon thing. I get that they used to date etc, but you know she has a family now. Move on Rayna. Stop dwelling in the past. At least Deacon is kind of moving on sleeping with Juliette.
They pretty much hammered home that she has spent the last 10 years repeating the same mistakes as her mother. After the reveal/realization, she met Deacon at the park to end it. Where they slipped up is by not actually show that they were having an affair all this time. I got the hints, but it still was a bit confusing. I guess it's because she is considered to be the "protagonist" and they didn't want the viewers to dislike her.

BTW. Best new show of the season.
Old 10-26-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone else feel "icky" when those little girls were singing that song with lyrics like "you left secrets in my bed"?

I thought it was hilarious that they all were applauding about how good they were instead of being horrified by what they were singing.
Old 10-27-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
They pretty much hammered home that she has spent the last 10 years repeating the same mistakes as her mother. After the reveal/realization, she met Deacon at the park to end it. Where they slipped up is by not actually show that they were having an affair all this time. I got the hints, but it still was a bit confusing. I guess it's because she is considered to be the "protagonist" and they didn't want the viewers to dislike her.

BTW. Best new show of the season.
I don't think they're still having an affair at all. She's kept him around because he's really the father of her eldest daughter. At least that's what her father more than said.
Old 10-27-12, 02:10 PM

I also don't think Rayna and Deacon are having an affair and I don't see any proof that Deacon is the father of her oldest daughter. I think it's just an emotional relationship at this point. A "What if..." or "What might have been" situation, especially considering the failure and disappointment that Rayna must feel for her husband.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.