Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Burn Notice -- Summer Finale -- "Desperate Times" -- 8/23/121

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The gang travel to Panama to take down an assassin, but their target discovers their plans and sets up a trap of his own. Elsewhere, Madeline grills Card for answers.

Episode 10 of 16-18

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_BoULnVJrd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-24-12, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Burn Notice -- Summer Finale -- "Desperate Times" -- 8/23/121

Holy shit! First Tavon and now Lem!

An interesting twist now with Card wanting Mike and the team dead. Was he working with or under Anson? Still was expecting a new handler for Mike since they shipped off Pearce. And not sure why they wanted the guy in Panama to die also.
Old 08-24-12, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When Card broke out the classified info for Mike's mom instead of everyone in his own office hearing about the op I knew he was guilty of something.

Kinda sucked that the TV ads stated one of them would die and it turns out to be a brand new character. This show is starting to drag because they just roll from one bad guy to another as the main villain and I don't see much of a connection to Michaels original burn notice.

Crazy Larry - Tyler Brennan - Strickler - Management - Carla - Tracking down the group that burned Michael - Anson - Tyler Gray - Tom Card
Old 08-24-12, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I've said it before but I'll say it again: ditch the burn arc. It's cool to have a new recurring villain each season but it's ridiculous to try to tie each and every one to the already quite ridiculous burn arc. Way too many resources and man hours were spent burning Michael Weston. He honestly doesn't seem worth remotely this much effort.
Old 08-24-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I've said it before but I'll say it again: ditch the burn arc. It's cool to have a new recurring villain each season but it's ridiculous to try to tie each and every one to the already quite ridiculous burn arc. Way too many resources and man hours were spent burning Michael Weston. He honestly doesn't seem worth remotely this much effort.
The show was working at it's best when it focused on the burn arc though, not to mention the show is called burn notice.

How many US people are going to turn into villains already? Just this season we went from Ansen to Kristanna Loken to Kenny Johnson's character and back to Tom Card. What possible reason will they come up with for having Tom Card turn on Michael?
Old 08-24-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The show was working at it's best when it focused on the burn arc though, not to mention the show is called burn notice.
I disagree. I think it works better during the caper-of-the-week episodes.

As for the title, just use that as a vague backstory. Michael is a burned spy who uses his former contacts and knowhow to help his different clients. Basically like The Equalizer (although he was only retired, as I recall).

How many US people are going to turn into villains already? Just this season we went from Ansen to Kristanna Loken to Kenny Johnson's character and back to Tom Card. What possible reason will they come up with for having Tom Card turn on Michael?
Which is why I find the Burn Arc beyond tired.

Hopefully Tom is just being blackmailed into it as it'd be ridiculous for him to pull all this otherwise.
Old 08-24-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Or the agency as a whole is looking to bury this burn arc with Anson, but the collateral damage in taking him out forced Michael to continue because of Nate's death. And the fact that the CIA is closing the case on Nate, makes it seem that they were behind it all the way.

I mean, are we going to eventually see Raines (Dylan Baker) again?
Old 08-24-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this show either on its last half season or at most another season beyond that? Aren't they evicting the production from its headquarters to redevelop the area? The serial story line isn't going anywhere. I do agree they could have done it better from time to time but it is one of the better parts of the show when the show is doing well.
Old 08-24-12, 07:24 PM
Banned

Fantastic episode. This might be my favorite season of the show. After having many issues with the past couple seasons, I've loved just about every episode this Summer. Hope the rest of the season keeps up the quality!
Old 08-24-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nobody else laughed when Michael threw a grenade in the car with Lemonhead?

I was expecting him to say, "Shane?"
Old 08-24-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Holy shit! First Tavon and now Lem!

An interesting twist now with Card wanting Mike and the team dead. Was he working with or under Anson? Still was expecting a new handler for Mike since they shipped off Pearce. And not sure why they wanted the guy in Panama to die also.

that's exactly what I was thinking. Getting all these Shield vets.
Old 08-24-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Nobody else laughed when Michael threw a grenade in the car with Lemonhead?

I was expecting him to say, "Shane?"
Old 08-25-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Completely disagree. The show works best when they are doing A-Team type stuff - helping those that need it.

Who really cares who burned Michael at this point? We've gone through seemingly 2 or 3 dozen people, moving up the chain.
Old 08-25-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

The ongoing burn arc silliness is why I gave up on the show a season or so ago. I much preferred the A-Team shit.
Old 08-25-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Another fan of The Shield here, loved seeing Kenny Johnson. Count me among those who's starting to groan and eye roll every time a new person is chosen as the main villain.
Old 08-26-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Completely disagree. The show works best when they are doing A-Team type stuff - helping those that need it.

Who really cares who burned Michael at this point? We've gone through seemingly 2 or 3 dozen people, moving up the chain.
It kinda reminds me of the Saw franchise "arc." What seemed like an original and smart villain in the first film was apparently a mad genius after 2. Then they pull the curtain back some more and it's, "what the fuck?" Pull it back some more and it's just preposterous. Pull it back some more and it's just stupid. Again, the chain of events gets bigger and it just gets sillier... until the point where you wonder if anyone reads the scripts before they start filming. That's what this burn arc feels like at this point. I'm just waiting for the big reveal that Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget is the ultimate puppeteer.

I'm in for the a-team episodes. Anson was far enough down the rabbit hole for me. The ninja sniper+Michael's trainer being in on it is beyond stupid.

What would be hilarious is if the show gets canceled before they reveal the bottom of the rabbit hole.
Old 08-26-12, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I wrong in thinking that Lem and Cox don't have anything to do with the burn and just want Michael dead for some reason?
Old 08-26-12, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking Dr. Cox hired Grey to kill Anson so that Michael would be done with the whole Burn thing and get back with the CIA. It looked like Nate got killed by accident of being next to Anson, so Dr. Cox had to clean the whole thing up before it could get pinned on him, rather than him being bad or the REAL guy behind the burn.
Old 08-26-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Remember right before Anson got shot, he was boasting about how he'd be let free, since he had too much dirt on the CIA? My guess is that Tom Card killed Anson so that a particular piece of dirt wouldn't get revealed.

Now, it could be because Tom Card was involved in the burning scheme. He was a CIA trainer, which would be an ideal position to have for finding and flagging potentially good burn candidates. Somehow his ties to the syndicate were missed in the original cleanup (perhaps he only reported to Anson).

However, it could also be that Anson had something on Tom Card that he was using to blackmail him with. So similar to Rebecca and even Michael himself, Tom may have been doing Anson's bidding against his will.

Nate was clearly collateral damage, and now Tom is just doing what he thinks he has to in order to put a lid on it.

Edit: BTW, did anyone else notice Tom's freudian slip near the end when talking to Maddie by the elevator? Something along the lines of "Michael was, Micheal is..." He was already referring to Michael in the past tense.

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-26-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-26-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Am I wrong in thinking that Lem and Cox don't have anything to do with the burn and just want Michael dead for some reason?
That's my point,Nate being collateral damage, Dr Cox involved with the burn or not... who cares at this point?

Just give me Sam, Fi, Jesse, and Michael solving problems for people.
Old 08-26-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Edit: BTW, did anyone else notice Tom's freudian slip near the end when talking to Maddie by the elevator? Something along the lines of "Michael was, Micheal is..." He was already referring to Michael in the past tense.
Yeah, that was a great moment. In fact, that entire sequence with it cutting back and forth between Card's talk with Maddie to Michael and company on the run, was really well done. McGinely did such a great job this episode.
Old 08-26-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's my point,Nate being collateral damage, Dr Cox involved with the burn or not... who cares at this point?

Just give me Sam, Fi, Jesse, and Michael solving problems for people.
If they decide to do something different with this arc, it could be great and a much needed breath of fresh air for this show.

If they do their usual though, and have Michael and company forced to do some off the book shit for Card while they plot to take him out... like they've done for literally every "big bad" the show has had during it's run, it'll fizzle fast and I'll probably end up bailing.
Old 11-01-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

According to Deadline.com, USA is close to renewing Burn Notice for a 13 episode 7th season.

FYI, This season is now officially 18 episodes. 2 Hour return next Thursday.

I've been behind on Burn Notice since the summer, but I finally had the motivation to finish up the summer episodes 2 weeks ago. I know alot here hate the serialized arc going on right now, but I've actually really enjoyed it. I hope they resolve it and maybe the 7th season will just be Michael and the team helping out new clients who need it.

With the episode order being reduced for the 7th season, I have a feeling we're getting close to the end of this series.
Old 11-01-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that probably has a good bit to do with the negotiations between Miami and the producers. For a pretty big likely spoiler for the finale and some talk about that issue look betwixt the spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/03/2928520/burn-notice-could-get-extra-year.html
Old 11-01-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

that sounds cool. set it up for there to be a
Spoiler:
final bad guy. he blows up michael's home and we get one final stand off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.