Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Philippines Cast Revealed -- Includes 80s Sitcom Star!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Philippines Cast Revealed -- Includes 80s Sitcom Star!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Survivor: Philippines Cast Revealed -- Includes 80s Sitcom Star!

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
kent was a good ballplayer, just a matter of recognzing him in game mode, nobody recognized marcus pollard on TAR and he was solid as well...
I think the difference between the two is that football players wear helmets. In order to recognize Marcus Pollard you probably would have had to be a really big Colts fan. Jeff Kent...with that 'stache there is very little chance that he isn't recognized. He'd be better off coming clean right off the bat.
Old 08-21-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least there is only one cast member from LA. and no aspiring waiters/waitresses.
Old 08-21-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Yeah I remember that. They "coincidentally" casted a Kansas City Chiefs radio host (who ended up winning I think, Danni?) that season and she knew him right off the bat.
With help, I think. I can't remember all the details but I think there were a few fishy things about how it all unfolded.
Old 08-21-12, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I wonder if either of them will try to hide who they really are. Blair from Facts of Life may be able to pull it off since no one has seen her in years but no way Jeff Kent can. The guy retired 4 years ago and is pretty famous.
Not to mention he looks exactly the same as when he played. He didnt even bother to shave the stache or change his hair.

Last edited by Thrush; 08-21-12 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Yeah.. we'll see how quickly Blair's Christian values get her voted off.
After Reverend Coach "Jim Jones", Survivor, seems to the only game show where Christianity thrives and is an asset.

Much to my personal annoyance.
Old 08-21-12, 09:13 AM

I'm wondering when CBS will start cross-casting shows like Big Brother vs. Survivor or Amazing Race. It's inevitable. Or full-on celebrity versions since the already have CBB. I'm sure there are plenty of celebrity fans they can cast, especially for Survivor.
Old 08-21-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I think a celebrity Amazing Race could work, but I hated Celebrity Survivor when it was done as "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here". I think I'd rather have the celebrities on Survivor with regular people as they have been all along.
Old 08-21-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have seen so far I think I like Malcolm and Dawson the most. Angie and Katie will be nice to look at. Really nobody annoyed me too much so I think this will be a good cast.

Also Dalton Ross does a great job with the interviews. Much better than the official site.
Old 08-21-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
I think a celebrity Amazing Race could work, but I hated Celebrity Survivor when it was done as "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here".
That was the fist thing I thought of as well. That show was horrible. They've already removed too much of the 'survive' from Survivor. Making life too easy around camp changed the dynamics of the game for the worse IMO. Anyway, I'm sure a celebrity edition would be even worse.
Old 08-21-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by the_dude8
the blonde is hot as hell, nice body and face. She could been a hooter girl. is this the final season of survivor?
Hello newcomer! It's been firmly established on this board that Survivor will last forever and ever and never, ever end!
Old 08-21-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Never watched Facts of Life for more than a minute at a time but certainly am aware of the Blair character, though I couldn't have come up with her real name until I heard it. However, as a sports fan (admittedly one who stopped closely following baseball many years ago) I'd never even heard of Jeff Kent, let alone recognized him. Even when told of his accomplishments it doesn't ring a bell. I was so surprised I went to look at the list of MVPs the past 20 years and there was only one other that I couldn't recall (Larry Walker). So IMO Kent could easily fly under the radar. For that matter, even if he explained his professional career I don't think it would matter all that much to his fellow contestants.

If Michael Jordan or Brett Favre or someone really recognizable to even average joes played, to the point where their celebrity could affect gameplay it might matter. Otherwise faking a background is pretty pointless and just one more thing to keep track of. Rarely does it work or ever make a difference when discovered in these sort of games. Usually all the person is doing is massaging their own ego by acting like they are so important or smart or wealthy or famous that the humanoids they are playing with would eliminate them out of sheer jealousy should they know of their many deeds.
It's not pointless though because why would someone who already has "millions" need to win. It's definitely a liability.

In regards to Blair I recognized her right away, and if I was not watching the screen I also would recall her pretty quickly by the voice because that is also VERY recognizable being a fan of the show back in the 80's.
Old 08-21-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a Blair fan but will be fun to see if anyone recognizes her. Maybe she should have colored her hair dark.
Old 08-21-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Anyway, I'm sure a celebrity edition would be even worse.
Absolutely, especially since we've seen how fast & loose the reality TV genre is with the definition of 'celebrity'.

Maybe they could get Lisa Whelchel's co-star on "Facts of Life" who played the handyman. That Clooney guy. He doesn't get much work these days, does he?
Old 08-22-12, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Absolutely, especially since we've seen how fast & loose the reality TV genre is with the definition of 'celebrity'.

Maybe they could get Lisa Whelchel's co-star on "Facts of Life" who played the handyman. That Clooney guy. He doesn't get much work these days, does he?
Dude, that's GEORGE Clooney. He's a major movie star now. I don't think he'd do it. But if you want a lovable TV janitor, you could get Pat Harrington, Jr. who played Dwayne Schneider on One Day At a Time. I'm sure he's available.
Old 08-22-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Dude, that's GEORGE Clooney. He's a major movie star now.

Old 08-22-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 238 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow, just spent a few minutes for the first time in years on the Survivor spoiler message boards. They need to step up the security on their set. Not only are the finalists for the upcoming fall season already known, but the finalists for the spring season too.
Old 08-22-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Denise Stapley
Sex Therapist
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

"What do you do for a living?"
"Take off your pants and I'll show you ..."
Old 08-22-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

The three returning castmembers have been announced and its the ones everyone thought, Skupin, Penner, and Swan.

I'm super glad its not Colton.
Old 08-22-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 328 Likes on 245 Posts

Fortunately it's impossible for this season's cast to be any dumber than last season's, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-22-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
The three returning castmembers have been announced and its the ones everyone thought, Skupin, Penner, and Swan.

I'm super glad its not Colton.
Yeah he would have been a total waste cuz nobody would have wanted him around and he has absolutely no value in challenges. The 3 guys they picked might have a chance.
Old 08-22-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Not only are the finalists for the upcoming fall season already known, but the finalists for the spring season too.
How is that even possible? They usually don't film for the spring season until fall & it's still August. And why would somebody even want to know this?
Old 08-22-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
How is that even possible? They usually don't film for the spring season until fall & it's still August. And why would somebody even want to know this?
They already filmed the spring season, to accomodate Jeff Probst and his new talk show that starts in a few weeks.
Old 08-22-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
Dude, that's GEORGE Clooney. He's a major movie star now. I don't think he'd do it. But if you want a lovable TV janitor, you could get Pat Harrington, Jr. who played Dwayne Schneider on One Day At a Time. I'm sure he's available.

According to wikipedia that dude is in his 80s now. The only thing he is available for is an appointment with a mortician.

ZING
Old 08-22-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nabalab
They already filmed the spring season, to accomodate Jeff Probst and his new talk show that starts in a few weeks.
That makes sense, I didn't realize they had filmed that far in advance this year. Those poor bastards though. Imagine getting to top 3 & then having to wait 9 months to find out who wins.
Old 08-22-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
After Reverend Coach "Jim Jones", Survivor, seems to the only game show where Christianity thrives and is an asset.

Much to my personal annoyance.
I totally agree...about both parts.

Unless she's preachy and pushy about it, her religion could easily help her in the game. The fact that she's not really much of a celebrity anymore could help too. I don't even know if she has much money or not.

One thing I know for sure is that if you've seen The Facts of Life, you will recognize her. Her face really hasn't changed. When I got older, I didn't just become an "older" version of myself. I really look different. She's just an older version of Blair. I don't think about her at all, but I'd know her the second she walked into a room.

I'm naive about such things, but it saddens me that the finalists of these shows are already know and, I suppose, easy to get if you want it.

Survivor isn't a really great show, but with all the flaws, it's still solid entertainment 12 years later and I wish a show that makes so much money could keep things like this secret. I don't believe they even try anymore to enforce things or find out where leaks come from. That's too bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.