DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Survivor: Philippines Cast Revealed -- Includes 80s Sitcom Star! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/604117-survivor-philippines-cast-revealed-includes-80s-sitcom-star.html)

Double_Oh_7 08-20-12 11:29 AM

Survivor: Philippines Cast Revealed -- Includes 80s Sitcom Star!

New Survivor cast includes an 80s sitcom star, and a baseball MVP.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/20/su...hel-jeff-kent/

Quack 08-20-12 11:34 AM

Re: Survivor: Philippines Cast Revealed -- Includes 80s Sitcom Star!

Jeff Kent haha, that's great. :up:

Goat3001 08-20-12 11:35 AM

I wonder if either of them will try to hide who they really are. Blair from Facts of Life may be able to pull it off since no one has seen her in years but no way Jeff Kent can. The guy retired 4 years ago and is pretty famous.

dino88 08-20-12 11:45 AM

I would be the exact opposite. I'd recognize Blair right away and wouldn't know the baseball player.

These are the rumored returning players.
Spoiler:

Russell Swan
Mike Skupin
Jonathan Penner

windom 08-20-12 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 11353214)
These are the rumored returning players.
Spoiler:

Jonathan Penner

Spoiler:
So there are two former sitcom actors this season if that is true.

Cardsfan111 08-20-12 12:05 PM

I think Kent has a better chance of flying under the radar. Not only is Blair recognizable by her looks, there's no mistaking that voice if you have ever seen the show. Either way, I'm a little more excited about the new season. Think bringing back the returning players who were forced out early is way better than the "fan favorites" of the past.

Damfino 08-20-12 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 11353236)
I think Kent has a better chance of flying under the radar. Not only is Blair recognizable by her looks, there's no mistaking that voice if you have ever seen the show.

This is from a Cards fan? Jeff Kent is instantly recognizable to me since I'm a Dodger fan and Kent ended his career with the Dodgers.

I don't recall ever watching Facts Of Life, but I may have seen a few episodes. At any rate I'm not familiar with Blair at all.

Goat3001 08-20-12 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 11353236)
I think Kent has a better chance of flying under the radar. Not only is Blair recognizable by her looks, there's no mistaking that voice if you have ever seen the show. Either way, I'm a little more excited about the new season. Think bringing back the returning players who were forced out early is way better than the "fan favorites" of the past.

I don't know how much Blair has aged. I can't really tell from that picture in the link. If she's aged a lot, I can see her flying under the radar. If not, then you're right, she'll be recognized by someone.

But considering that Survivor always has a few young guys, I don't think it'll be long before they realize it's Jeff Kent.

Question is: Will he be on steroids? I need know so I can make my Survivor Game pick accordingly.

Damfino 08-20-12 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 11353263)
Question is: Will he be on steroids? I need know so I can make my Survivor Game pick accordingly.

Good point. Overly aggressive alpha males never win.

Cellar Door 08-20-12 12:36 PM

'Blair' was one of my first TV crushes. Lisa Whelchel's cousin was a classmate of mine in grade school, and the classmate's mom (Whelchel's aunt) was my history teacher one year. Alas, our school was never graced with Lisa's presence. :wub:

Cardsfan111 08-20-12 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino (Post 11353259)
This is from a Cards fan? Jeff Kent is instantly recognizable to me since I'm a Dodger fan and Kent ended his career with the Dodgers.

Kent was recognizable to me as well, but I almost wonder if it wasn't because I looked at the picture trying to pick out the baseball MVP. Also, one would think it's going to be a guy who would recognize him. There's only 5 other men, and only 1 of them is on Kent's tribe to begin the game. Someone may indeed call him out early on, I just think he'll have a better shot of going unnoticed for his fame.

devilshalo 08-20-12 12:53 PM

Yeah.. we'll see how quickly Blair's Christian values get her voted off.

Finisher 08-20-12 12:56 PM

If you click the link in the first post and watch the quick interviews with both, they show snippets of both Kent and Blair on the island. Really hard to tell that's Jeff Kent, who is shirtless and kinda flabby looking. He also says he's not telling them who he is and nobody has ID-ed him yet.

madcougar 08-20-12 12:57 PM

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but Kent was on a few of the last good Astros teams. I recognize his grill anywhere.

DJariya 08-20-12 01:06 PM

I haven't seen Lisa Whelchel in years, so she wasn't immediately recognizable in the photos. And wow, she turns 50 next year.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but being in Southern California and casually watching the Dodgers, I certainly know who Jeff Kent is and especially from his days with the Giants and their rivalry with LA. I think even a casual baseball fan will know who Kent is.

And BTW, aren't most of the people on Survivor living in LA anyways as starving actors....oops, I meant Pharmaceutical Sales Reps. :D

devilshalo 08-20-12 01:06 PM

It's only Survivor if they were put them somewhere on Mindanao and had to deal with the Abu Sayyaf.

the_dude8 08-20-12 01:08 PM

the blonde is hot as hell, nice body and face. She could been a hooter girl. is this the final season of survivor?

Too bad they did not cast an asian player this round.

Howie2000 08-20-12 01:14 PM

Unless someone is from one the cities JK played in or like a super hardcore baseball fan I doubt people will recognize him but out a 18 or so players if even 1 does he would look like a dick if he pretended to be a mailman or something so I assume he will tell people who he is day 1.

majorjoe23 08-20-12 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by the_dude8 (Post 11353340)
the blonde is hot as hell, nice body and face. She could been a hooter girl.

Or a part time model?

JuryDuty 08-20-12 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 (Post 11353263)
I don't know how much Blair has aged. I can't really tell from that picture in the link. If she's aged a lot, I can see her flying under the radar. If not, then you're right, she'll be recognized by someone.

She's not aged too much--her hair is still much the same, too.

http://content7.flixster.com/photo/1...779481_ori.jpg

I don't know if others will recognize her, but I would in a heartbeat. She's actually been very active and successful in the Inspirational book market with books on family, child discipline and homeschooling. If she's recognized (and she will be by someone then the word will get out), I don't see her getting to the end because most will think she's already successful and rich.

But I'd take her for my DVDTalk Survivor game pick anyway. :P You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and then you have...

Bill Needle 08-20-12 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Howie2000 (Post 11353349)
Unless someone is from one the cities JK played in or like a super hardcore baseball fan I doubt people will recognize him but out a 18 or so players if even 1 does he would look like a dick if he pretended to be a mailman or something so I assume he will tell people who he is day 1.

Never watched Facts of Life for more than a minute at a time but certainly am aware of the Blair character, though I couldn't have come up with her real name until I heard it. However, as a sports fan (admittedly one who stopped closely following baseball many years ago) I'd never even heard of Jeff Kent, let alone recognized him. Even when told of his accomplishments it doesn't ring a bell. I was so surprised I went to look at the list of MVPs the past 20 years and there was only one other that I couldn't recall (Larry Walker). So IMO Kent could easily fly under the radar. For that matter, even if he explained his professional career I don't think it would matter all that much to his fellow contestants.

If Michael Jordan or Brett Favre or someone really recognizable to even average joes played, to the point where their celebrity could affect gameplay it might matter. Otherwise faking a background is pretty pointless and just one more thing to keep track of. Rarely does it work or ever make a difference when discovered in these sort of games. Usually all the person is doing is massaging their own ego by acting like they are so important or smart or wealthy or famous that the humanoids they are playing with would eliminate them out of sheer jealousy should they know of their many deeds.

DJariya 08-20-12 02:02 PM

There was a contestant on Survivor Guatemala, Gary Hogeboom, who was best known as a NFL Journeyman QB. He tried to avoid saying that he played in the NFL, but one of the other constestants recognized him.

If you don't know shit about baseball, then yeah your not going to know who Jeff Kent is. But, I think someone who has followed baseball for the last 10-15 years, even casually will probably know who he is. Especially I recall when he was with the Giants he had alot of issues with Barry Bonds that was covered on alot of national sports newcasts.

mphtrilogy 08-20-12 02:04 PM

solid choices!

mphtrilogy 08-20-12 02:05 PM

kent was a good ballplayer, just a matter of recognzing him in game mode, nobody recognized marcus pollard on TAR and he was solid as well...

Goat3001 08-20-12 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11353432)
There was a contestant on Survivor Guatemala, Gary Hogeboom, who was best known as a NFL Journeyman QB. He tried to avoid saying that he played in the NFL, but one of the other constestants recognized him.

Yeah I remember that. They "coincidentally" casted a Kansas City Chiefs radio host (who ended up winning I think, Danni?) that season and she knew him right off the bat.