Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Newsroom -- "5/1" -- 8/05/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 10:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "5/1" -- 8/05/12

Can we get rid of Alison Pill? She's by far the worst character on the show. I'd love to see more of Lisa, though.
Old 08-07-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
. I'd love to see more of Lisa, though.
Weird, except for her boobs, there's actually not much attractive about her. Not saying she's ugly or anything, just absolutely average looking (she could stand to lose a few pounds as well). She is certainly far more likable than Pill's character though, who needs a punch in the face.
Old 08-07-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 210 Posts

Maggie needs to relax. Demanding Jim to break up with the girl? I know there's that underlying sexual tension between them, but Jim just needs to tell her "I'm your fucking boss. Shut up." once in a while.
Old 08-07-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Alison Pill straddles the line between cute ugly and ugly ugly, but she's starting to lean in the direction of the latter. I take the brunette any day of the week - and she's looks just fine weight-wise.
Old 08-07-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

Solid episode. Really enjoyed how the events with Bin Laden's news played out.

The stuff on the plane with Don, Sloan and Elliot was hilarious.

Unexpected surprise to see Salli Richardson-Whitfield as the DC anchor. One minor nit pick about that whole scene with her and Mac. As someone who works in a television control room, some of that scene didn't make sense from a technical standpoint. They have a live feed of her from DC up, yet Mac needs to call her on the phone to speak with her? As far as I know, the audio people would connect her audio line into the control room and the Producer should be able to speak to her directly through a headset.

And I don't know what Slop is smoking, but Kelen Coleman (Lisa) is hot. Yes, she has a little more meat on her bones, but she's by no means fat or overweight. She's tall, has a pretty face and beautiful long hair. And of course, she has great tits. I know they are leading towards something between Jim and Maggie, but he's a fucking idiot if he passes on Lisa to go for that crazy, mousy and neurotic woman.

Really liked at the end how they transitioned from Will's lead-in to the actual video of Obama's speech.
Old 08-07-12, 01:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was glad that Jim asked Lisa out for real at the end of the episode. I was going to be pissed if they wrote her out completely.
Old 08-07-12, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alison pill Should go the way of Moira Kelly. And Dev Patel's character needs to stop talking about UFO and bigfoot.

Otherwise good show. Love Sam Watterson in everything he does.
Old 08-07-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Alison Pill straddles the line between cute ugly and ugly ugly, but she's starting to lean in the direction of the latter. I take the brunette any day of the week - and she's looks just fine weight-wise.
I'd take either...but beggars can't be choosers.
Old 08-07-12, 03:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,198 Likes on 847 Posts

Alison Pill reminds me of Kristen Bell in a way.

I was watching this episode in a hotel room, and the feed cut out a few times. I really liked it, but to me, the best episode has been the Gabby Giffords one. I hate that Coldplay song, but it worked well in that context.
Old 08-07-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Alison Pill reminds me of Kristen Bell in a way.
Maybe, if Kristen Bell stuck her thumb in her mouth and blew her own head up like a balloon to twice its size.
Old 08-07-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
He represents the disaffected Republican. We're out there. That said, I think we get the idea by now.
I think he represents the wet dream of what a lefty thinks a "good Republican" is and what Republicans should be. It's ludicrous every time he opens his mouth to criticize everything about "his own" (yeah, right) party (not that I don't agree with him occasionally).

But that said, I really like this show although I disagree with most of what it seems to stand for. But it's very funny and entertaining and even moving when it needs to be.
Old 08-07-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I adore this show, but will finally concede that Maggie is the worst character in the history of television.
Old 08-08-12, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally watched this tonight. While I understand the criticisms that this show brings on itself, I think this episode did a pretty amazing job of putting me back in the mindset of when I heard about Bin Laden's death.

I was totally mesmerized from the moment Will got the go ahead to report it and the transition to the President's announcement as it faded over the credits. And yeah, the reveals to the airline pilots and bodyguard were touching to me too. Sorkin knows his melodrama and does it very well, and I guess I'm a sucker for it. A great episode in my mind for sure. But I've enjoyed this from the first ep, faults and all.

Oh, I think Allison Pill is cute as hell in this, even as neurotic as her character is!
Old 08-09-12, 06:28 AM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

The Cato Institute posted a response to Newsroom:

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/free-...rst-amendment/

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/in2g06TBsK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-09-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

My take on Maggie switches episode-to-episode. In the first episode she was sweet and great. In the second, she was psychotic. Since then, she's gone back and forth. I get the idea she's the one character that Sorkin (or maybe the actress) isn't exactly sure how to play. I agree that her interaction with Jim is a bit over the top, but I see what Sorkin is trying to do. It's essentially the Jim and Pam characters from The Office, but Maggie is way more intense than Pam.

That said, I find her forgivable given the quality and enjoyment of this show. I'll put up with her crazy moments so long as this show sticks around for a long time.