Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Newsroom -- "5/1" -- 8/05/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Charlie gets an anonymous tip about an important development that will be the subject of a televised speech by the president, prompting the "News Night" staff to switch gears from their one-year anniversary party back to the newsroom while wondering what the story could be.

Episode 7 of 10

Promo:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1271845"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 7: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1271845%26filter%3Dthe-newsroom%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1271845" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 7: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1271845%26filter%3Dthe-newsroom%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>
Old 08-05-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "5/1" -- 8/05/12

I can't wait to relive that night again, this episode better be awesome.
Old 08-05-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I can't wait to relive that night again, this episode better be awesome.
Is this the killing of Bin Laden?
Old 08-05-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes
Old 08-05-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've liked this show but with the exception of the Santorum team member putting Will in his place, its been way too lib for me. To be fair, the media in the show labels him as such, but Will just uses "I'm a registered Republican" as a defense, which is pretty weak.

I'd rather see him call out everyone on stupid shit, but right now he's just left wing agenda boy. Curious to see what spin is put on the Bin Laden strike.
Old 08-05-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For a registered Republican, I haven't heard him really express any Republican ideals ever.
Old 08-05-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
For a registered Republican, I haven't heard him really express any Republican ideals ever.
He represents the disaffected Republican. We're out there. That said, I think we get the idea by now. I also think season two is going to be way interesting in the life of this show. Are they pretty much going to burn what they built to the ground, in terms of ideology? How is that all going to happen?
Old 08-05-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would guess that based on the end of the preview at the end of the episode
Spoiler:
he gets fired
Old 08-05-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, I thought that was pretty moving at the end. Well done.
Old 08-06-12, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I would guess that based on the end of the preview at the end of the episode
Spoiler:
he gets fired
What made you think that?
Old 08-06-12, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm as surprised as anyone, but Olivia Munn's character is the only person on this show that doesnt grate on my nerves. Everyone else is so over the top quick witted that it's annoying. Which is doubly odd because Sloan is the smartest person on the show.

That producer on the plane was so obnoxious that I was hoping he was going to get shot by a sky marshall, and when the United moment finally happened, I just FF'd through it.

Dr. Allison Blake from Eureka was right the entire time, too.

The best part of the show was Natalie Morales. You can never have too much Natalie Morales (but I FF'd through her 9/11 remembrance, too).

D
Old 08-06-12, 08:03 AM

I definitely had fewer eye rolls moments than usual (Charlie's very, very quick conclusion that it was Bin Laden produced a major one), so that was a good thing. Could have done without the cliche of Will being high as a kite on this enormous news night.

But overall a well done episode.
Old 08-06-12, 08:33 AM

I liked this episode a lot, how even though everyone wanted to report the news, they seemed to take just as much pride, if not more, in telling individual people: telling the pilots on the plane and telling the body guard who told the police.

One thing I'm not clear on but what was the other story that Charlie was talking about after he got off the phone with his NSA source? Something about TMA, the gossip magazine, and the parent company?
Old 08-06-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
One thing I'm not clear on but what was the other story that Charlie was talking about after he got off the phone with his NSA source? Something about TMA, the gossip magazine, and the parent company?
Yeah basically he has an inkling now that TMI may be bugging people I believe. So there's the possible out for getting Will out of hot water.
Old 08-06-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I've liked this show but with the exception of the Santorum team member putting Will in his place, its been way too lib for me. To be fair, the media in the show labels him as such, but Will just uses "I'm a registered Republican" as a defense, which is pretty weak.

I'd rather see him call out everyone on stupid shit, but right now he's just left wing agenda boy. Curious to see what spin is put on the Bin Laden strike.
I told my parents about the show and before I could finish the asked, "Is that the Jane Fonda show?" NO WAY!!!

They are Republicans and think Fonda is a communist

They too think having Will say he is a Republican is a cop out.
Old 08-06-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've no love for Fonda either. Depending how old you folks are, they may have very vivid memories of her wonderful support of American pows in Vietnam. So yeah, having her as a character in this show does them no favors of hiding their political leanings.
Old 08-06-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Dont understand why people get worked up over the political leftness or rightness of the show's creators. I personally could care less if it leans one way or the other. Give me some compelling drama, good writing and acting and I'm in. So far this show has pretty much delivered on that.

I probably lean more towards the right, but it doesnt bother me one bit how far left this show wants to go. Considering that most newsrooms are filled with democrats it is more realistic anyway.

I liked this episode overall but I could really do without the whole Maggie plot. I just thought it was a shame that they filled this episode with so much of her ramblings, when the focus should have been on Bin Laden.
Old 08-06-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I've no love for Fonda either. Depending how old you folks are, they may have very vivid memories of her wonderful support of American pows in Vietnam. So yeah, having her as a character in this show does them no favors of hiding their political leanings.
I was born in 74 so I don't remember it but the stories have been told at my house everytime she would show up in a movie. Although in HS I did have SE Asia History one year and they spoke about it there. Great class one giant story about the War.
Old 08-06-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thematahara
Dont understand why people get worked up over the political leftness or rightness of the show's creators. I personally could care less if it leans one way or the other. Give me some compelling drama, good writing and acting and I'm in. So far this show has pretty much delivered on that.

I probably lean more towards the right, but it doesnt bother me one bit how far left this show wants to go. Considering that most newsrooms are filled with democrats it is more realistic anyway.

I liked this episode overall but I could really do without the whole Maggie plot. I just thought it was a shame that they filled this episode with so much of her ramblings, when the focus should have been on Bin Laden.
I like the show, but like another poster said, sometimes its blurring the line between wanting to entertain you and wanting to convince you to see things their way.

I'm not going to kick my screen over because Fonda shows up on it, but it also doesn't hide the show runners political leanings by including her on a show about politically left-leaning news casting.

But hey, its their story to tell, and far I enjoy it
Old 08-06-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My dad is like Will to a degree. He votes mostly R, but thinks most of the tea party and all the gun rhetoric is crazy nonsense.
Old 08-06-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RUSF18
I definitely had fewer eye rolls moments than usual (Charlie's very, very quick conclusion that it was Bin Laden produced a major one), so that was a good thing.
I think that "Deep Throat" guy told him about Bin Laden in the beginning off camera (the ep began in mid-conversation) but Charlie didn't have any reason to believe him until other sources started to appear.
Old 08-06-12, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by dalbowski
I think that "Deep Throat" guy told him about Bin Laden in the beginning off camera (the ep began in mid-conversation) but Charlie didn't have any reason to believe him until other sources started to appear.
No, we saw Charlie sort of put some of it together. "Late For Dinner" was just using the fact that he knew the white house was going to send out an email to show Charlie he knew what he was talking about and was on the inside.
Old 08-06-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Dont understand why people get worked up over the political leftness or rightness of the show's creators.
Because in a American politics you have to be either HARD right or HARD left. If you're not you're a TRAITOR.
And you can never agree with the other side on ANYTHING. If you do you're a TRAITOR!

Nice to see a couple of the minor Sports Night characters as passengers on the plane.
Old 08-06-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I agree and disagree at the same time. My wife is ALL about the Maggie stuff and could care less about the politics of the show, so you're talking about alienating maybe half of your viewership. Also, I think Sorkin does that to show that life goes on, even in the middle of a big event...so I don't have a huge problem with it, but yes, I agree this episode should have maybe toned that down a bit more. Another great show though, although I think last week's remains my favorite to date.

I also had to explain to my wife who "Ted Baxter" was. And she's older than me.
Old 08-06-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I get why the relationship stuff is there, but I found it very off-putting that she would be going on with her bullshit in the middle of such a big news event. Plus it doesnt help that I find her incredibly annoying.

I was hoping Jim would just scream out "Look, your roommate has great tits and you are a neurotic bitch, leave me the fuck alone!!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.