Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dallas -- New TNT Series (133 Minutes) -- "Pilot/Hedging Your Bets" -- 6/13/12

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,715 Posts
Re: Dallas -- New TNT Series (133 Minutes) -- "Pilot/Hedging Your Bets" -- 6/13/12

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Was Ann in the original show? I only caught snippets of the old show between playtime breaks (it was Friday night afterall ) when I was a kid and Nintendo breaks when I was an early teen.
No, Ann is a new character. She is apparently friends with Sue Ellen and that's how she and Bobby hooked up.

I only said that because Brenda Strong was the narrator on Desperate Housewives and never appeared onscreen unless it was a flashback.
Old 06-14-12, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Received 737 Likes on 485 Posts
Re: Dallas -- New TNT Series (133 Minutes) -- "Pilot/Hedging Your Bets" -- 6/13/12

I've only watched the first part so far and am liking it so far.

I do not like that they are doing the 'song over' towards the end that seems to be the fad these days. Also, the meeting at the end on the star in Cowboys stadium was kinda dumb (not the meeting, the location).
Old 06-14-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I do not like that they are doing the 'song over' towards the end that seems to be the fad these days.
That almost took me out of the show. Too contemporary IMO. However, a young woman I know loved the song so I guess it's a generational thing.
Old 06-14-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Ehhhh.... Still haven't watched the show since they erased a whole season when Bobby came out of the shower and was now alive!

Wow that was a long time ago, I'm getting old!
Old 06-14-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...emiere/138150/

6.9M viewers and 1.5 in demos. Pretty good debut.
Old 06-14-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel so stupid today. I only just realized, after all these years, that Major Anthony "Tony" Nelson from "I Dream of Jeanie" and J. R. Ewing are both the same man - Larry Hagman. My family always watched the original Dallas, but I suppose I was too young back then to make that connection, and it just never clicked and I never heard about it in passing through all the years after...until today.

I watched it last night and I was shocked at how solid it was and how it stays true to the original. I'll likely start watching it. My family is pumped that it's back.
Old 06-14-12, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn impressive debut.

Though not so much considering how much they inundated every channel that airs TV shows with ads for it for what seems like months.
Old 06-14-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts

7m viewers for cable anything is huge.
Old 06-14-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched Dallas growing up with my parents for most of it's run, so I was looking forward to this last night.

As most have already stated, I thought Bobby and JR were the best part of the show. I was worried during the first episode because I thought they were going to go in a different direction with JR, but luckily they didn't. Pretty solid debut and I'll definitely keep watching.

Looks like John Ross likes to hit the bottle. Guess he takes after his mamma.
Old 06-14-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
7m viewers for cable anything is huge.
Yep, it was the highest rated premiere for any drama pilot on cable this year. It also had better ratings than anything the Networks ran last night, which is pretty impressive. Given how good the first two episodes were, I don't see a big drop off in viewership...heck, it might even go up with people catching up on their DVRs, On Demand, and all the times TNT is bound to air it in the next week.

I think it's safe to say we'll be hearing very soon about a green-light for Season 2.

Anyone watch the "after show" online? It was pretty good...a lot like Talking Dead over on AMC. The entire cast was there EXCEPT for Hagman, but he's supposed to show up later this season. They're doing one every week after the first airing. The chemistry between the actors seemed really strong...that's a good sign that this show is only going to get better - Duffy, in particular, seems very happy with the scripts he's been given (although, of course, he didn't hint at what may be coming up).
Old 06-14-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 772 Likes on 630 Posts

Hagman said on the Tonight Show they would only do the show if they liked the script.

So if this show is a success could we probably see similar reboots where maybe veterans from the original series come back along with fresh new young faces?

They could do a similar format for Miami Vice and A-Team.
Old 06-14-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think it's safe to say we'll be hearing very soon about a green-light for Season 2.
If it keeps ratings like this, I think TNT may greenlight more episodes for season 2 (13-15)

Some good news about Hagman. He was diagnosed with throat cancer when they started filming last year. Apparently as of early June it's in remission.
Old 06-14-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
So if this show is a success could we probably see similar reboots where maybe veterans from the original series come back along with fresh new young faces?

They could do a similar format for Miami Vice and A-Team.
Well there would be a number of factors in play...the show would have to have been very popular, most of the cast members would have to be still alive (and willing to do the show), and the studio that owns the show would have to be willing. For example, Dallas is owned by Warners, however a studio like FOX is notorious for not wanting to re-do shows they own for whatever reason (which is one of the reasons why we've never seen a new "X-Files" and they only threw $30 million out for the making of the movie...and it's all their offering for a "24" movie as well). So there's only a limited number of shows this might work for. Miami Vice is certainly one. A-Team - eh, not so much I would think. In the comedy realm, Cheers would certainly be one. Star Trek: The Next Generation would probably be a sure-fire hit if Paramount was interested...but they seem to be invested in their reboot universe these days.
Old 06-14-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-more/138072/

Here's the complete list of Wednesdays cable ratings.

Dallas blew away everyone in total viewers and was number 1 in the demos.

The 11:14pm re-air actually got 2.03M viewers and 0.6.

With DVR numbers factored in, you could potentially see about 10M viewers for the 2 episodes. Turner won't release those figures until next week.
Old 06-14-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 168 Posts

The real test will be next week, to see if the people who tuned in actually liked what they saw.

You know, it's interesting to have Dallas around in an age where there are things that people who liked the show could not do back in its day. Namely, discuss and speculate in internet forums. I can only imagine what a thread would have been like back in the days of "Who Shot J.R.?"
Old 06-14-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Regarding the ages of John Ross and Christopher: John Ross was born in 1979, which would make him 33. Josh Henderson is 30, so the age of the actor is about right. Christopher (who is the son of the gal who shot JR, in case some of you don't know!) was born in 1981, which would make him 31. Jesse Metcalfe is 33, so the age of that actor is about right too!
I suppose so, but I find all of the new young performers generic. I can't tell some of them apart. And the Metcalfe guy is a pretty lousy actor.

The oldies bring the quality. Duffy, Hagman, Gray, all quality; and Gray has hardly aged a day in 22 years. Her neck ligaments are getting as much of a workout as ever.
Old 06-15-12, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 772 Likes on 630 Posts

Just wished they would show the faces along with the cast names during the opening credits like the original series unless it is a brevity thing.

Maybe Julie Gonzalo in a bikini during the opening credits.
Old 06-15-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 636 Likes on 510 Posts

It was decent. My only problem is if the writers go out of their way to make John Ross too much of a dickhead. What made J.R. so great was while that he was cutthroat and had his evil side, but he was human and did have a soft spot for family, particularly his mama.

Decent eye candy too.

Just wished they would show the faces along with the cast names during the opening credits like the original series unless it is a brevity thing.
Agreed. It looks cheesy the way they do it now. The current trend of trimming opening credits has led to me not knowing the names of actors in new shows.
Old 06-15-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone else curious as to why the writers chose Rebecca for the name of Christopher's wife? For those who may not know, Christopher's grandmother (Pam and Cliff's mama) was Rebecca Wentworth.
Old 06-15-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
I've only watched the first part so far and am liking it so far.

I do not like that they are doing the 'song over' towards the end that seems to be the fad these days. Also, the meeting at the end on the star in Cowboys stadium was kinda dumb (not the meeting, the location).
I didn't like the song over either, but it does seem to be a modern trend.
Old 06-15-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why does the floorplan at Southfork look different from the old show? The kitchen, study, etc., have moved. I expected new furniture and decor, but I don't recognize the layout anymore.
Old 06-15-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really remember the original DALLAS too much but I did watch the 2 hour premiere and really liked it. For me the only weak leak in the show was the actor playing Christopher. I was surprised he received top billing in the opening credit sequence with such poor acting skills. The guy playing John Ross was much better, even if a bit over-the-top.
Old 06-15-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 665 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I don't really remember the original DALLAS too much but I did watch the 2 hour premiere and really liked it. For me the only weak leak in the show was the actor playing Christopher. I was surprised he received top billing in the opening credit sequence with such poor acting skills. The guy playing John Ross was much better, even if a bit over-the-top.
Actually, Metcalf (the guy playing Christopher) gets second billing. The guy playing John Ross (whose name escapes me at the moment) gets top billing. Metcalf didn't bother me much (aside from Christopher being written like a crybaby) but the guy playing John Ross (despite getting the better written character of the two young leads) is pretty lousy in his delivery.
Old 06-15-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

John Ross is Josh Henderson. He actually also had a recurring role on Desperate Housewives like Metcalfe.
Old 06-16-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought everyone's acting was decent except Linda Gray's, but then her acting has always sucked. Hagman's was a bit tongue in cheek. I wish he'd just play it straight like in the show's early years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.