TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anthony Bourdain leaves Travel Channel; Starting new show at CNN

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Anthony Bourdain leaves Travel Channel; Starting new show at CNN

From NY Times:

Anthony Bourdain is about to take a television trip.

The chef and author will host a weekend program on CNN beginning early next year, once his shows for the Travel Channel end, CNN announced on Tuesday. CNN said in a news release that the program “will be shot on location and examine cultures from around the world through their food and dining and travel rituals.” Mr. Bourdain will also be a commentator on CNN’s channels in the United States and elsewhere.

“Tony Bourdain has taken audiences on journeys throughout the world as he brings not just information on food, but cultural and societal insights as well, providing audiences with a rich and thoughtful experience,” Mark Whitaker, the executive vice president and managing editor for CNN Worldwide, said in an internal memorandum on Tuesday morning. “Tony is a great addition to CNN’s team as we continue to broaden our coverage of news that impacts our audience’s lifestyles.”

Mr. Bourdain has been the host of “Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations” for the Travel Channel since 2005. He began a second show, “The Layover,” for the channel last winter. “The Layover” has been renewed for one more season, but “No Reservations,” which wraps up its eighth season this week, has not. Mr. Bourdain will be leaving the Travel Channel after his obligations for this season are complete, but the channel can keep replaying old episodes.

In a statement, a Travel Channel spokesperson said, “As part of Travel Channel’s strategic repositioning of the brand and its core programming mission, the network has been aggressively developing new talent, new voices and new shows, as announced last year,” adding that Mr. Bourdain “has been an iconic figure at Travel Channel.” The statement concluded: “We are proud of the great storytelling Tony has brought to the network. We congratulate him on his new venture and look forward to working with him on new projects in the future.”

The poaching of Mr. Bourdain comes at a time when CNN is trying to turn around its slumping ratings — now at historic lows. In a change of direction earlier this year, the channel laid off some of its documentary producers and started acquiring documentaries and commissioning series from outside producers. It will schedule the acquired programming mostly on the weekends, when it has fewer hours of live news. That Mr. Bourdain’s as-yet-untitled program will be produced by the makers of “No Reservations,” Zero Point Zero Production, is a sign of that new thinking.
CNN described the addition of Mr. Bourdain’s program as a “further step in broadening and distinguishing CNN’s weekend programming from its traditional weekday news coverage.” To longtime CNN watchers, it may seem a back to the future move, because the network used to have lifestyle shows like “Style With Elsa Klensch,” “People in the News” and “Your Health” on the weekends. Those shows, however, were mostly produced in house.

CNN said that new episodes of Mr. Bourdain’s program would be shown in prime time on Sundays and then repeated the following Saturday. The episodes will also be shown on CNN International.

The network emphasized Mr. Bourdain’s international credentials in its announcement on Tuesday, describing him as a reporter who has traveled to “historically war-torn or isolated regions as Vietnam, Mozambique, Uzbekistan and Romania,” among many other locales.

In a statement, Mr. Bourdain said, “I’m really looking forward to coming over to CNN. I think the world is going to get a whole lot bigger for me. I hope that old fans and new ones will be excited about what’s coming down the road.”
If you have watched Top Chef, you should know who Anthony Bourdain is. His show on The Travel Channel has been on 8 seasons. This season will be the last.

Been a fan of Bourdain since the 1st season of No Reservations. One of the only reasons why I watch The Travel Channel occasionally.
Old 05-29-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anthony Bourdain leaves Travel Channel; Starting new show at CNN

Damn.
Old 05-29-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Wow, No Reservations is a staple in my house. Watch all new episodes and reruns all the time. I guess his new show The Layover didn't do so well?
Old 05-29-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GPA? Zero. Point. Zero.
Old 05-29-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
Wow, No Reservations is a staple in my house. Watch all new episodes and reruns all the time. I guess his new show The Layover didn't do so well?
Actually as the article states, The Layover was renewed for 1 more season. I have to assume the episodes are already in the can or close to being done. Then he will bolt for CNN.

I really liked The Layover. It was a much faster version of No Reservations with all the wit and snark that is in his shows.

Him leaving The Travel Channel is really going to hurt their network IMO. Without him they lack a truly international flavored show. Andrew Zimmern has scaled back his show and it's now focused on U.S. Bizarre foods. And then Samantha Brown rarely does any new shows.
Old 05-29-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Damn, this sucks. Not a huge Bourdain fan but I really liked Layover.
Old 05-29-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

Him leaving The Travel Channel is really going to hurt their network IMO. Without him they lack a truly international flavored show. Andrew Zimmern has scaled back his show and it's now focused on U.S. Bizarre foods. And then Samantha Brown rarely does any new shows.
Yeah, TC is going to go from probably my most watched channel to barely a blip.
Old 05-29-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only seen a few eps of No Reservations, but it seemed a much more personality driven show than I would expect to find on CNN.
Old 05-29-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's too bad, I was just exposed to No Reservations and The Layover during the winter. Really enjoyed The Layover a lot. Hell, it even made me want to visit Montreal!
Old 05-30-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope the keep the same camera crew Bourdain has been using for the past couple of years. Although No Reservations has kind of run its course and is kind of the "same show, different location" over and over, the camerawork has been stunning for the past few seasons.

And while The Layover was... fine, as DJariya says, it's really just a compressed version of No Reservations with a "24 hour" conceit.
Old 05-30-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never watched the Travel Channel before I discovered Bourdain. I'll watch No Reservation reruns from time-to-time, but that's about it.
Old 05-30-12, 08:45 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

I've been disappointed in the Travel Channel for a while. Over the past 2-3 years, they probably should have changed their name to the Eating Channel. About 75% of the shows involve someone stuffing food in their mouth.

That being said, No Reservations has been one of my favorite shows. It's one of the few Travel Channel shows that actually travels to interesting international locations.
Old 05-30-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I've been disappointed in the Travel Channel for a while. Over the past 2-3 years, they probably should have changed their name to the Eating Channel. About 75% of the shows involve someone stuffing food in their mouth.

That being said, No Reservations has been one of my favorite shows. It's one of the few Travel Channel shows that actually travels to interesting international locations.
I agree. It's a really frustrating channel to watch sometimes. Besides Bourdain, there really isn't alot of actual travel oriented shows. Samantha Brown used to do the Passport to Europe, Asia, Latin America series, but she seems to have scaled back on her work for them. And Andrew Zimmern's show is more about him stuffing his face than actual cool locations.

And I don't consider Best places to pig out, Best fast food joints in America, Ghost Adventures, or Adam Richman stuffing his fat ass with ribs travel shows.
Old 06-01-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Some good news from Bourdain's Twitter page:

https://twitter.com/#!/NoReservations

We still have a whole bunch of new NR shows in the hopper--and yet to shoot a season of Layovers
Old 08-06-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-show...83107fd8548fda

FYI,

The Final Season of No Reservations premieres September 3rd.

Bourdain is visiting:
Austin, TX
Sydney, Australia
Burgundy, France
Dominican Republic
Rio De Janeiro

He shot the 2nd and final season of The Layover this past summer as well.
Old 08-07-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Cool. I had thought both shows were done for good.
Old 08-08-12, 05:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Perhaps they will pair him up with Paula Dean at some point.
Old 10-30-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Heads up for those unaware that the series finale of No Reservations airs next Monday.
Old 10-30-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Just to let you all know. Bourdain isn't completely done with Travel Channel just yet. The 2nd season of The Layover premieres on November 19th. 10 new episodes.

6 of the 10 episodes will be in North America though, which kind of sucks.
Old 10-31-12, 10:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan
Perhaps they will pair him up with Paula Dean at some point.
I see what you did there.
Old 11-22-12, 10:21 AM
Suspended

New CNN show is called "Parts Unknown"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2123891.html