Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale)

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Samberg, Sudeikis and Wiig are all confirmed not to be coming back next season.
Except that today Lorne Michaels said no decision has been made on Samberg and Sudeikis, and that further cast decisions will be made this summer. So while their leaving is likely, it's not confirmed.
Old 05-20-12, 12:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale)

Really surprised they didn't do a Penelope sketch with Wiig instead of Lawrence Welk and Secret Word, since it was her breakout character (IMO) and they haven't done it as much lately. Plus she's always my least favorite part of Secret Word... the host always saves the sketch and it would be better if they had rotated out both 'celebrities'.
Old 05-20-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Except that today Lorne Michaels said no decision has been made on Samberg and Sudeikis, and that further cast decisions will be made this summer. So while their leaving is likely, it's not confirmed.
Exactly. I don't think Sudeikis is leaving. it's an election year and he's Mitt Romney and Joe Biden. I suspect they'll pay him some big money for one more year. Samberg is clearly gone though...the last line in LZ2 was "this is where it started and this is where it ends."

In the end, it's SNL. the "how will they ever replace X??!!??!??! has been uttered nearly every year since Chevy Chase left after the first season. There's always a few lulls, but someone always rises from the ashes - Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Kristin Wiig, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Ana Gasteyer, Kevin Nealon, Sandler, Martin Short, Jimmy Fallon, Piscopo and Murphy....etc etc. etc.

I love Wiig - don't understand how you can't like her really - so that last bit was very touching, especially when she hugged Bill Hader and clearly came a tear away from totally losing it. Sudeikis looked like he was barely holding it together himself through the whole thing. Not sure if that's because he only had one small bit (the cannery guy) or just sadness for the end of another era.
Old 05-20-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Good episode. I guess that Samberg and Sudeikis didn't care about being in any sort of spotlight for their last show. Though I think they missed an obvious comedic chance to punch it in there that they're leaving too.
it's pretty clear that Sudeikis cared a lot. he was either barely holding it together out of grief or wanted to punch a hole in the wall for being slighted in the final show. 42 seconds as a salmon cannery guy in an Al Sharpton skit isn't much of a sendoff. watch him in the final bit....he doesn't sing, looks extremely upset, and then bails from the entire thing half way through (he slunk to the back and once everyone came out he was gone).

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1402538" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 05-20-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This show might not be that great anymore, but they gave Wiig a very classy farewell.
Old 05-20-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

And why don't they just get it over with and add Jon Hamm to the cast? I love that guy.
Old 05-20-12, 03:24 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jpb07
Pretty crappy that in a season that they finally moved away from SNL:The Kristen Wiig Show, Lorne pissed all over Sudekis and Samberg by making it an all about Wiig Farewell. I knew from the second that they faded in to the outside HS shot, it was going to be a farewell. With Mick setting it up as a "call up to graduate", I figured Wiig would go up and then he'd call the other two up and proceed from there.
I choose to look at it like they wanted to give Kristen a great send off. Not everyone needs to be flashy about their exits.
Old 05-20-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OK season finale

Originally Posted by DRG
Really surprised they didn't do a Penelope sketch with Wiig instead of Lawrence Welk and Secret Word, since it was her breakout character (IMO) and they haven't done it as much lately. Plus she's always my least favorite part of Secret Word...
The Lawrence Welk T-rex arm girl was fun, but I too was looking for a Penelope sketch or one last Two A-holes bit with Sudeikis.

Gianni Prosciutto / Jon Hamm - I did not catch that on the first viewing
Old 05-20-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I remember one of Wiigs early sketches was when she played this lesbian reporter interviewing Jaime Pressly. Other than that I did not like most of her material.

I bet there will be a Best of Kristen Wiig show maybe next season or 2013. They didn't wait long to do a best of Amy Poehler show,

Was there a sketch related to Lebron where Jay Pharoah imitated ESPN analyst Stephen A. Smith?

I missed that unless that was cut from the West Coast feed or it was unaired.

Adam Shefter was talking about it on Facebook.

Just wished there was a Hugh Jackman two sides sketch.
Old 05-20-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by skatefan20
or one last Two A-holes bit with Sudeikis.

Yeah, kind of disappointed they didn't bring that one back... it's been gone for years I think. Would have been nice to see one last time.
Old 05-20-12, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Samberg gone and Sedekis not far behind, I guess that's it for the Scared Straight sketch. The Lohan show was such a low note for that one to go out on.

I suspect next year may be it for Kenan as well. That'll be it for me for awhile....he's been in two of my favorite sketches of late, SS and WUWT?.
Old 05-20-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I thought he said "shit."

Some people need to get a life.

It was only rock 'n' roll, but some NBC affiliates apparently didn't like it when host Mick Jagger did a profanity-laced political song on "Saturday Night Live."

Near the end of Saturday's season finale, the 68-year-old Rolling Stones frontman performed "Tea Party," a bluesy number featuring guitar virtuoso Jeff Beck. Jagger told the audience he wrote the song, which is about the current presidential campaign and its candidates who "have to strategize a bit."

The next line included a curse word that evidently led some stations to cut away early to commercials, according to numerous Twitter users. However, other stations -- including KNBC-TV in Los Angeles -- ran the whole number uncensored. Because "SNL" airs during the Federal Communications Commission's "safe harbor" hours of 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. -- when broadcasters can telecast material deemed indecent -- NBC was probably not obligated to censor the song at the national level, but local station managers could use their discretion.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...snl-song-.html
Old 05-20-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved the musical numbers.

Ah well. Another changing of the guard.
Old 05-20-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Nothing beats the "polar bear cage" sketch from the mid 90s as a send-off.

Mr. Dictionary!
Old 05-20-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm stoked to see Wiig gone. She didn't deserve any of that sendoff she got. She ruined much of the show with her hamming it up in every single sketch. She carried that overracting into Bridesmaids which was barely endurable. Good fucking riddance.
Old 05-20-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz

I love Wiig - don't understand how you can't like her
It's sooooooooooooooooooo unbelievably easy for me not to like her.
Old 05-21-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wiig goes out with one final act of masturbation on live TV. Shocker.

FWIW, I took Sudeikis' reaction to being sad about Wiig leaving or maybe even him knowing this was his final time up there too. Either way, it didn't come off as him being "mad" at all. She almost lost it with him and with Hader before that.
Old 05-21-12, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not gonna miss Wiig, but Sudekis and Samberg were still the only reasons I tuned in when I did.

As much as I liked the idea of Lazy Sunday 2, I felt the song underwhelmed when compared to other Lonely Island songs. Last week with #100 was brilliant, it probably should've ended there.
Old 05-21-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jpb07
Pretty crappy that in a season that they finally moved away from SNL:The Kristen Wiig Show, Lorne pissed all over Sudekis and Samberg by making it an all about Wiig Farewell. I knew from the second that they faded in to the outside HS shot, it was going to be a farewell. With Mick setting it up as a "call up to graduate", I figured Wiig would go up and then he'd call the other two up and proceed from there.
Completely agree. I was hoping that Sudekis and Samberg would get at least a mention as well. For me, anyway, those two have done more for the show than Wiig ever did. Real low point of the episode that they didnt get recognized. Almost as bad as that incessantly crappy Arcade Fire. Why do they keep bringing back such terrible bands, and on the night that you have Mick Jagger hosting?

Last edited by jjcool; 05-21-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Was there a sketch related to Lebron where Jay Pharoah imitated ESPN analyst Stephen A. Smith?

I missed that unless that was cut from the West Coast feed or it was unaired.

Adam Shefter was talking about it on Facebook.
Watched this on Hulu and it wasn't there either. Can anyone post it? Looks like it happened during WU?
Old 05-21-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched it live on the east coast and I don't remember anything like that in the show. The news was just headlines and Stefon. Kinda short, I guess bc of 3 musical numbers.
Old 05-21-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Found it:

Video: Stephen A. Smith impersonation from Saturday Night Live
Old 05-21-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well what the hell was I doing?
Old 05-21-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Decent episode. Arcade Fire sounded like shit - like they were out of tune or something.
Old 05-22-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They didn't air that Stephen A. Smith on the west coast. I thought Weekend Update felt short.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.