DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/601727-snl-05-19-12-h-mick-jagger-mg-foo-fighters-arcade-fire-jeff-beck-finale.html)

Goldberg74 05-19-12 10:09 AM

SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2411/micjaggersnl.png

This is it... and it should be a train wreck!

If sources are correct, this should be the final show for Jason Sudekis (:(), Andy Samberg (:D), and Kirsten Wiig (:banana:).

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1402237" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1402021" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<fieldset style="width: 500px; margin: 0px auto; font-size: smaller;"><legend>SNL Season 37</legend>
SNL - 37th Season - Preseason Thread
SNL 09/24/11 - H: Alec Baldwin - MG: Radiohead
SNL 10/01/11 - H: Melissa McCarthy - MG: Lady Antebellum
SNL 10/08/11 - H: Ben Stiller - MG: Foster The People
SNL 10/15/11 - H: Anna Faris - MG: Drake
SNL 11/05/11 - H: Charlie Day - MG: Maroon 5
SNL 11/12/11 - H: Emma Stone - MG: Coldplay
SNL 11/19/11 - H: Jason Segel (maybe with Muppets) - MG: Florence + The Machine
SNL 12/03/11 - H: Steve Buscemi - MG: The Black Keys
SNL 12/10/11 - H: Katy Perry - MG: Robyn
SNL 12/17/11 - H: Jimmy Fallon - MG: Michael Bublé
SNL 01/07/12 - H: Charles Barkley - MG: Kelly Clarkson
SNL 01/14/12 - H: Daniel Radcliffe - MG: Lana Del Rey
SNL 02/04/12 - H: Channing Tatum - MG: Bon Iver
SNL 02/11/12 - H: Zooey Deschanel - MG: Karmin
SNL 02/18/12 - H: Maya Rudolph - MG: Sleigh Bells
SNL 03/03/12 - H: Lindsay Lohan - MG: Jack White
SNL 03/10/12 - H: Jonah Hill - MG: The Shins
SNL 04/07/12 - H: Sofia Vergara - MG: One Direction
SNL 04/14/12 - H: Josh Brolin - MG: Goyte
SNL 05/5/12 - H: Eli Manning - MG: Rihanna
SNL 05/12/12 - H: Will Ferrell - MG: Usher
SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Jeff Beck
</fieldset>

JasonF 05-19-12 10:20 AM

Re: SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale)

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 11238962)
This is it... and it should be a train wreck!

Disagree -- seeing Jagger perform with Jeff Beck, Arcade Fire, and Foo Fighters!? It's going to be awesome. And since it's both a season finale and the last show (probably) for the shoe's three biggest names, I expect the comedy will be better than SNL average since they're gofing to do their best to go out on a high note.

Astrofan 05-19-12 10:22 AM

Re: SNL 05/19/12 - H: Mick Jagger - MG: Foo Fighters/Arcade Fire/Jeff Beck (Finale)

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 11238975)
And since it's both a season finale and the last show (probably) for the shoe's three biggest names.

You must be an Ed Sullivan fan.

Troy Stiffler 05-19-12 10:27 AM

Jeff Beck and Arcade Fire? Awesome. The others are cool, too. Strange combination. Are they touring together or something?

I'm an SNL apologist and will tune in no matter how few laughs there are.

Goldberg74 05-19-12 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 11238975)
Disagree -- seeing Jagger perform with Jeff Beck, Arcade Fire, and Foo Fighters!? It's going to be awesome. And since it's both a season finale and the last show (probably) for the shoe's three biggest names, I expect the comedy will be better than SNL average since they're gofing to do their best to go out on a high note.

I'll correct my self... Jagger as a host will be the train wreck, but the music will be great. I'm thinking there will be 3-4 musical numbers (ala U2 a few seasons ago).

I just hope Wiig isn't in EVERY sketch! -pray-

Mike86 05-19-12 12:14 PM

Damn might actually have to watch this one for the musical guests alone. Other than that I have no interest in SNL at all.

JasonF 05-19-12 10:20 PM

Spoiler:
Steve Martin
just tweeted that he has a cameo in tonight's episode.

Nabalab 05-19-12 11:02 PM

So we found out (probably) why Lazy Sunday wasn't featured in the 100th Digital Short. The sequel was the 101st :)

Watching the cold open and the 1st skit, I was hoping it wouldn't be a Kristen Wiig best-of since I heard she may be leaving.

Must admit - one of the reasons I love SNL is watching Hosts/MG's poke fun at themselves.

skatefan20 05-19-12 11:27 PM

Human R2D2 - midget on roller skates dials a speakerphone and you put a garbage can over their head

rotfl rotfl

Goldberg74 05-19-12 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by skatefan20 (Post 11239639)
Human R2D2 - midget on roller skates dials a speakerphone and you put a garbage can over their head

rotfl rotfl

Stefan is fantabulous!

Mick's pretty spry for someone turning 69 in a few months.

astrochimp 05-19-12 11:35 PM

Mick Jagger still f'in rocks.

Fist of Doom 05-19-12 11:36 PM

:up: Loved the Digital Short.

PopcornTreeCt 05-19-12 11:51 PM

Mick Jagger has been hilarious.

astrochimp 05-19-12 11:55 PM

Best night of the season musically that's for damn sure.

astrochimp 05-20-12 12:01 AM

Awesome closing number :up:

Goldberg74 05-20-12 12:07 AM

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday... :wave:

... don't the door hit you on your way out!

windom 05-20-12 12:09 AM

So only Wiig is leaving then?

I noticed Jagger seemed to be taller than Fred Armison and Chris Kattan. Isn't he famously short? Maybe he was wearing lifts or something.

astrochimp 05-20-12 12:11 AM

I am pretty certain that as people age they gain a bit of height.

JTH182 05-20-12 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 11239675)

I noticed Jagger seemed to be taller than Fred Armison and Chris Kattan. Isn't he famously short? Maybe he was wearing lifts or something.

I figure at least Samberg is leaving too since that was the point of Lazy Sunday 2 (wasn't the last line something about ending like they began?)

jpb07 05-20-12 12:50 AM

Pretty crappy that in a season that they finally moved away from SNL:The Kristen Wiig Show, Lorne pissed all over Sudekis and Samberg by making it an all about Wiig Farewell. I knew from the second that they faded in to the outside HS shot, it was going to be a farewell. With Mick setting it up as a "call up to graduate", I figured Wiig would go up and then he'd call the other two up and proceed from there.

Oh well....they are in as good of position as I can remember when an exodus like this occurs. The remaining regulars are more than capable of holding up the show. They need to promote Pharoah, Killam, and Bayer to the regular players and then bring in a new featured players slate. The midseason add was as bad as Slate so I hope she's gone. Go back to SNL roots at Second City instead of more Groundlings...I think they've run their course. With Northwestern alum Seth Meyers as head writer and all of the top Groundlings gone, it should be easy for them to go back to Chicago for talent.

Matthew Chmiel 05-20-12 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 11239675)

Samberg, Sudeikis and Wiig are all confirmed not to be coming back next season.

Who knows who else will leave between tonight and the start of the next season.

JeffTheAlpaca 05-20-12 03:44 AM

Oh well....they are in as good of position as I can remember when an exodus like this occurs. The remaining regulars are more than capable of holding up the show. They need to promote Pharoah, Killam, and Bayer to the regular players and then bring in a new featured players slate. The midseason add was as bad as Slate so I hope she's gone. Go back to SNL roots at Second City instead of more Groundlings...I think they've run their course. With Northwestern alum Seth Meyers as head writer and all of the top Groundlings gone, it should be easy for them to go back to Chicago for talent.
It is too early to call on Kate McKinnon and I hope maybe Bill Hader gets more of the spotlight.

Just hope Fred Armison stays since Fred, Hader, Seth, and Kenan are probably the only guys left from that mid 2000's cast.

With that farewell I thought maybe Jason Sudeikis and Samberg were still staying unless they are humble and don't want the farewell spotlight on them.

Not a Wiig fan but it was sad when they did Ruby Tuesday since she had been on the show for 7 years and she will be gone.

I will miss the crabby aunt character on Weekend Update where she hated all the summer movies and playing the blonde on the View but that is probably it.

They kind of copied the Grease sketch when Fallon left back in 2004.

Sucks this is the season finale and like Troystiffler I watch every episode regardless if it is funny or not.

TheKing 05-20-12 04:38 AM

Jagger playing Steven Tyler. He was terrible at it, but there's still an amazing bit of irony to it since Tyler spent most of his early years trying to fight the claims he was ripping off Jagger.

bluesix 05-20-12 10:45 AM

Did anyone notice Jagger wearing glasses in every skit except where he was singing? I suspect he needed them to read the cue cards altho I have to say he was much less obvious about it than most of the 'actors' who have also hosted. Guess he's not a fan of the contact lens.

Overall, I'd say Jagger did a great job even with the skits that went nowhere. I think most of the humor came from his take on speaking with an American accent. :)

Troy Stiffler 05-20-12 12:07 PM

Good episode. I guess that Samberg and Sudeikis didn't care about being in any sort of spotlight for their last show. Though I think they missed an obvious comedic chance to punch it in there that they're leaving too.