TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The CW announces Fall 2012-13 Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 871 Likes on 732 Posts
Re: The CW announces Fall 2012-13 Schedule

Originally Posted by sq240
I just don't understand why Justin Hartley is on a new show that is not Arrow...
Basically the Smallville producers would have gotten a cut of the pie if they had used Hartley as Green Arrow in a new series. The CW was not going to pay that and decided to start over with a new creative team.
Old 05-18-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,754 Posts

Here's the 1st trailer for Arrow:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t6lpaY_xoic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the 1st trailer for The Carrie Diaries, which is the Sex and the City prequel

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vq-Zh7CxzgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cult: Starring Matt Davis...aka Alaric from The Vampire Diaries

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rGs36fBSewQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-18-12, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
That's The Selection. The CW is still developing, possibly for midseason.
"Redevelop" is a term I often hear, but how often does a Pilot that gets passed over, gets "redeveloped" and actually gets picked up?
Old 05-18-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll keep watching Supernatural. And probably check out Arrow. I just hope it isn't as bi-polar as Smallville was. I don't think I have the strength for another show like that.
Old 05-18-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
"Redevelop" is a term I often hear, but how often does a Pilot that gets passed over, gets "redeveloped" and actually gets picked up?
They are very interested in "The Selection" - they have already re-opened talks with the books authors and have hired a new writing staff. Apparently the plan is film a new "pilot presentation" sometime at the end of summer (only 15-20 minutes) with an entirely different cast except the lead and then depending on how shows fare in the fall it could be on the schedule by spring 2013. They are also developing 2 comedies that didn't go to pilot, that could shoot off-season (most likely to aire a la "The LA Complex" - after a disappointing drama ends early).

I really like the schedule and it seems like Friday's is officially the CW's deadzone. Top Model won't be coming back next year; but Nikita is so close to syndication (and obviously a warner brothers darling) that I would be shocked if it doesn't have a fourth season (granted the ratings stay within the network's range).

My only complaint is that I think they should have premiered "The Carrie Diaries" in the fall and used it's hiatus to air the "Gossip Girl" leftovers.
Old 05-18-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 941 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Basically the Smallville producers would have gotten a cut of the pie if they had used Hartley as Green Arrow in a new series. The CW was not going to pay that and decided to start over with a new creative team.
Why would the Smallville guys get a cut when they are just re-casting someone who previously played the role in a different and unrelated series?
Old 05-18-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Why would the Smallville guys get a cut when they are just re-casting someone who previously played the role in a different and unrelated series?
Phantom Strangers logic is wrong. The studio (Warner Bros.) and DC owns the Green Arrow property whether it's from Smallville or now Arrow. The people who worked behind the scenes on the show have no residual rights to it.
Old 05-18-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Patman's comment: why two doctor shows?

I thought everyone on Supernatural wanted to quit. At least I think that's what I heard two years ago.
Old 05-19-12, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 871 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Phantom Strangers logic is wrong. The studio (Warner Bros.) and DC owns the Green Arrow property whether it's from Smallville or now Arrow. The people who worked behind the scenes on the show have no residual rights to it.
It's a much more complicated situation than that and has to deal with producer's fees and other Hollywood minutiae.
Old 05-19-12, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a much more complicated situation than that and has to deal with producer's fees and other Hollywood minutiae.
I'm no expert on this, but had Arrow been developed as a spinoff of Smallville and they used Hartley, the only people who would get paid (Producer-wise) would be the ones who developed it and pitched it to WB and The CW. The show then becomes the network and studio property.

Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, who created Smallville and left the show a long time ago, would not get a penny since they weren't involved with the development of the character.

Since all that is irrelevant, nobody from the Smallville regime is getting paid for this show since it's all new writers, producers etc. The only people making the money are the network, studio and DC.