Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- "Lady Lazarus" -- 5/06/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- "Lady Lazarus" -- 5/06/12

Interesting Washington Post writeup on the episode.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...cy7T_blog.html

The book Pete was reading on the train was Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49, the plot of which revolves around a woman dealing with the estate of her ex lover.(BTW, looking at the Wikipedia page for Lot 49, I learned that it was Pynchon who came up with Yoyodyne Industries and here I thought that originated with Buckaroo Banzai )

Also, of course, the Beatles album is Revolver(get it?). As the Post critic points out, the song is the last one on the album, so the choice of song(like the Beach Boys one before) was obviously deliberate(i.e. Don didn't seem to care for the music so he likely wouldn't have listened all the way through to get to it).

The Grantland writer also had another good episode analysis, my favorite line:

"The elevator opens just long enough to show Don the brutalist wired nothingness of the elevator shaft. Don registers the blatant metaphor of the void and alerts no one"

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...g-men-like-air

And finally bad news for next week's preview:

Spoiler:
She-Devil is back
Old 05-07-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don reacted to the Beatles the way I react to Skrillex.
Old 05-07-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I wonder how much they had to pay to use that Beatles song?
A quarter of a million dollars:

How ‘Mad Men’ Landed The Beatles: All You Need Is Love (and $250,000)
By DAVE ITZKOFF and BEN SISARIO

In most cases, “Mad Men” is bound by the history of the era in which it takes place. But on Sunday night, a new episode of that 1960s period drama that concluded with the Beatles song “Tomorrow Never Knows” appears to have made some history of its own, marking a rare instance in which a song written and recorded by that band has been licensed for use on a television series.

“It was always my feeling that the show lacked a certain authenticity because we never could have an actual master recording of the Beatles performing,” Matthew Weiner, the creator and show runner of “Mad Men,” said in a telephone interview on Monday. “Not just someone singing their song or a version of their song, but them, doing a song in the show. It always felt to me like a flaw. Because they are the band, probably, of the 20th century.”

As with most transactions that involve the Beatles, that usage did not come cheap. According to two people briefed on the deal, who were not authorized to speak about it, Lionsgate, the studio that produces “Mad Men,” paid about $250,000 for the recording and publishing rights to the song. That is an appropriately high price, several music and advertising executives say, since many major pop songs can be licensed for less than $100,000.

Mr. Weiner declined to discuss the licensing costs, but said: “Whatever people think, this is not about money. It never is. They are concerned about their legacy and their artistic impact.”

Covers of Beatles songs turn up in various media, but the band’s own recordings are rarely heard on television or in films. The surviving Beatles and their heirs are known to be very picky licensors, turning down almost every request.

Aside from songs that have been played in the occasional commercial or the Beatles cartoon series that was shown on ABC in the 1960s, the use of “Tomorrow Never Knows” on “Mad Men” is likely one of the only times that a Beatles track has been used in a TV show, music and advertising executives say.

Jeff Jones, the head of Apple Corps, the Beatles’ company, wrote in an email on Monday that it was the first such license in the five years he has been with the group, although he said he could not be sure about earlier uses that predate his time at the company. Mr. Weiner said he was told it was the only time a Beatles song has been in a television show, other than the band’s live performances.

Near the end of the “Mad Men” episode, titled “Lady Lazarus” and written by Mr. Weiner, the advertising executive Don Draper (played by Jon Hamm) finds himself struggling to understand youth culture and is given a copy of the Beatles album “Revolver,” a new release in the summer of 1966.

But instead of starting his listening experience with the album’s acerbic lead-off track, “Taxman,” Draper instead skips to its final – and, shall we say, more experimental – song, “Tomorrow Never Knows,” contemplating it for a few puzzled moments before he shuts it off. (That psychedelic song, with its signature percussion loops and distorted John Lennon vocals, also plays over the closing credits of the episode.)

Mr. Weiner said he had been trying “for a few years” to get different Beatles songs onto “Mad Men,” but had been rejected by Apple Corps in the past.

To win the company’s approval in this case, Mr. Weiner said, “I had to do a couple things that I don’t like doing, which is share my story line and share my pages.” He added that he received the approval from Apple Corps last fall, about a month before filming started on the episode.

“It was hard,” Mr. Weiner said, “because I had to, writing-wise, commit to the story that I thought was worthy of this incredible opportunity. The thing about that song in particular was, the Beatles are, throughout their intense existence, constantly pushing the envelope, and I really wanted to show how far ahead of the culture they were. That song to me is revolutionary, as is that album.” (Asked what he would have done if Apple Corps had once again said no, Mr. Weiner replied: “I don’t know. I would have changed the story.”)

Though “Lady Lazarus” has its own story line about the difficulty – if not impossibility – of getting the Beatles to license their songs for television, Mr. Weiner said the use of “Tomorrow Never Knows” was not meant to be self-referential or self-congratulatory.

“Even people who are not in the clearances and rights business were struck by the fact that that was actually the Beatles,” he said. “You just get the satisfaction of knowing that was not an imitation and it’s that recording.”

(Another bit of Beatles trivia referenced in the episode: “September in the Rain,” the Wedgewoods track that Draper and his colleagues contemplate as a substitute for an authentic Fab Four tune, is one of 15 songs the Beatles performed at a 1962 audition for Decca Records. That label turned them down, the Beatles signed with Parlophone, and the rest is twisting, shouting, walrus-identifying history.)

Despite the assumption of some audience members that “Mad Men” had broken its music-licensing budget for the season on this one song, Mr. Weiner said this was not the case.

“You cannot buy your way into these things,” he said. “In my heart, I operate in a realistic world because I’m producing a TV show. I never, ever think about that – ‘Oh, let’s not have a song here so I can save some money.’”

Mr. Weiner pointed to another “Mad Men” episode from earlier this season, in which a Beach Boys song is played during a character’s LSD trip. “No one ever asked, ‘What does it cost to have” that song?” he said. “You think that that’s free?”
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ve-and-250000/

I liked the use of the song here, but yeah, if I was a Walking Dead producer I'd be a little ticked, too. Prestige show or not, one brings in significantly more eyeballs.
Old 05-07-12, 06:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 112 Posts

Did I miss where the show was changed to Mad Megan instead of Mad Men. It's pretty much all about her.
Old 05-07-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I find this talk about Walking Dead being wronged amusing. I like that show a lot, don't get me wrong. But it's popcorn entertainment vs what Mad Men is. Mad Men has earned its budget. It didn't have the benefit of a basically built-in audience due to pre-existing source material. Mad Men came on and took risks and it paid off. It's in its 5th season. Walking Dead has had 2 seasons. I'm having a hard time understanding any scenario where Mad Men should lose budget or any other considerations to a newer show. I understand Walking Dead is drawing more ratings - right now. But its demo is much more fickle. Mad Men is established , does well in ratings and also brings home the awards in a field HBO was used to dominating.

Think of it this way - if Mad Men's budget was cannibalized for Walking Dead's benefit, what do you think that would do to AMC's ability to land future shows from quality talent? AMC has made their original programming name in quality dramas like Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I don't see them endangering that to give some more effects shots to Walking Dead. And that's what they'd be doing if they acted in a way that hindered getting future shows from high-end talent.

And no, Walking Dead is not run by high-end talent anymore. It was when Darabont was involved. Frankly I expect the show to decline each subsequent season given what we've seen of the current show runners.
Old 05-07-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Did I miss where the show was changed to Mad Megan instead of Mad Men. It's pretty much all about her.
It does seem that way. I can only guess they're using her as a way to progress Don's storyline. I expect we should see the repercussions of her decision to leave SDCP as the season progresses.
Old 05-07-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 898 Likes on 629 Posts

Enjoyed the episode.

Even though I saw the Pete/Harry phone-booth thing coming as it was about to unfold - I still had a good laugh.

Loved Peggy reaming Don out.

As said, Lane's been absent... and Joan's only getting a few piddly lines the last few episodes.

Something's brewing with Pete. We did learn that after two years into his life insurance policy, it covers suicide. Is there are reason we're told this?
Old 05-07-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Pete has a date with the elevator shaft. Though I don't think Mad Men would telegraph its move that deliberately.
Old 05-07-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Same. Don lived the fact that he worked with his wife and she had actual talent at what he loved. Now she's an actress, not long before that fails again and she's a stay at home mom like Betty. I liked how he said goodbye to her on the SCDP floor and not the lobby, despite the fact that he was going downstairs too.
My view on the elevator shaft is this:

As soon as her door closed, he kind of rushed to get another one. He was going to try to meet her downstairs and stop her. But if he tried to stop her, he would have been falling into the same pattern of demanding husband as he was with Betty.
Old 05-07-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I thought the elevator shaft was a metaphor.
Me too. Soprano fans know how much Weiner loves his metaphors.
Old 05-07-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I find this talk about Walking Dead being wronged amusing. I like that show a lot, don't get me wrong. But it's popcorn entertainment vs what Mad Men is. Mad Men has earned its budget. It didn't have the benefit of a basically built-in audience due to pre-existing source material. Mad Men came on and took risks and it paid off. It's in its 5th season. Walking Dead has had 2 seasons. I'm having a hard time understanding any scenario where Mad Men should lose budget or any other considerations to a newer show. I understand Walking Dead is drawing more ratings - right now. But its demo is much more fickle. Mad Men is established , does well in ratings and also brings home the awards in a field HBO was used to dominating.

Think of it this way - if Mad Men's budget was cannibalized for Walking Dead's benefit, what do you think that would do to AMC's ability to land future shows from quality talent? AMC has made their original programming name in quality dramas like Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I don't see them endangering that to give some more effects shots to Walking Dead. And that's what they'd be doing if they acted in a way that hindered getting future shows from high-end talent.

And no, Walking Dead is not run by high-end talent anymore. It was when Darabont was involved. Frankly I expect the show to decline each subsequent season given what we've seen of the current show runners.
Well said.

The only thing I disagree with is the idea that AMC is interested in attracting quality talent. I think it's clear from their latest offerings that Mad Men and Breaking Bad were flukes.
Old 05-07-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay

As soon as her door closed, he kind of rushed to get another one. He was going to try to meet her downstairs and stop her. But if he tried to stop her, he would have been falling into the same pattern of demanding husband as he was with Betty.
I like this - good interpretation.
Old 05-07-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Pete has a date with the elevator shaft. Though I don't think Mad Men would telegraph its move that deliberately.
I was thinking if anyone goes down the shaft it's Pete. They've been showing him a lot this season and he's just completely unraveling. To me, he's been the major focus of this season and not Megan.

Plus I think the guy that plays him has a decent shot of a post-Mad Men film or tv career.
Old 05-07-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 321 Posts

Standing-fucking-OVATION!
Old 05-07-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,480 Likes on 4,433 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I think she's blended in surprisingly well. If the show is focusing more on her, it's because she's new and has a different dynamic with the other characters that we haven't seen before. It brings a different angle, and after seeing shrew Betty for a year, I welcome something new instead of retreading familiar ground again.

On a more personal level, my wife is my office manager and has a supervisory role over the rest of my office staff. We both can relate to Megan's (previous) position of being a co-worker and the boss's wife at the same time -- it's a touchy, complex situation sometime.
Old 05-08-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I worked with Megan and she was my wife it would be a "touchy" situation every day.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 05-08-12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay

the opening credits are of a man falling..

runs with the show's entire theme....
Old 05-08-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

But the falling man always lands on his feet comfortable on a couch.
Old 05-08-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

The elevator is a vagina.
Old 05-08-12, 10:06 PM
Banned

Don and Peggy must be contractually-obligated to blow up at each other once per season.
Old 05-08-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don and Peggy need to hook up and be done with it.
Old 05-09-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts

God no.
Old 05-09-12, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Don and Peggy need to hook up and be done with it.
The pure definition of Jumping The Shark.