Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race--2 Hr Finale -- "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires"-- 5/6/12

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who do you think will win The Amazing Race
Dave and Rachel
64.71%
Team Big Brother
17.65%
Vanessa and Ralph
5.88%
Border Patrol Douchebags
11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Race--2 Hr Finale -- "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires"-- 5/6/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-02-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
AFTER TRAVELING FIVE CONTINENTS, 22 CITIES AND NEARLY 40,000 MILES, "THE AMAZING RACE" CONCLUDES IN A SPECIAL TWO-HOUR SEASON FINALE ON SUNDAY, MAY 6

"It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires" - The final four Teams battle for the $1 million prize in a grueling two-hour season finale that starts in Japan, where Racers call upon their track skills for an exhausting Japanese game show, and concludes in Hawaii, where Teams hit the waves to put their rescue mission skills to the test, on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, May 6 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan is host.

2 Hours tonight folks
Old 05-06-12, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race--2 Hr Finale -- "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires"-- 5/

Go Dave and Rachel! I admit I'm biased because they are from my city but they are clearly the best team.
Old 05-06-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Amazing Race--2 Hr Finale -- "It's a Great Place to Become Millionaires"-- 5/

I'm happy with anyone but Team Big Brother winning.
Old 05-06-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my GOD... How could that happen? This is WAY too close.
Old 05-06-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MUCH better finale than last year.
Old 05-06-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Solid final episode. Hard to be upset at the results with the dominating team pulling off the win despite a little drama.
Old 05-06-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that fatass border patrol guard had better balance, that team would have won. They were given a gift from the gods with Team Army's mistake and couldn't capitalize on it. That's gotta sting.

I am so relieved that Team Big Brother never stood a chance. They screwed up big time too by taking a cab instead of walking.
Old 05-06-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I am so relieved that Team Big Brother never stood a chance.
Not true--if they hadn't misread their clue about walking to the stadium, they'd have passed Art & JJ at the sledding (they already did--just not far enough ahead) as well as Dave & Rachel (because of their mistake) and won the game. It was a really stupid mistake that cost them $1 million.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 05-06-12 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best finale in quite awhile, and it didn't center on taxi drivers from hell.
Old 05-06-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Great finale. Glad Dave and Rachel won, even though I predicted the Border Patrol agents to win back during episode 2.

Another reality show season gone, and I've yet to correctly predict a winner...haha
Old 05-06-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Another reality show season gone, and I've yet to correctly predict a winner...haha
LOL you should join our DVDTalk Amazing Race game. You'd fit right in with us! :P
Old 05-07-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Great season! Some of the recent TAR finales haven't had anywhere near as much drama as we had tonight.
Old 05-07-12, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss the hard finale challenges that built upon everything that happened during the race. It doesn't have to be something that involves memorizing the order of countries they went to, or remembering every challenge they did, but it would be nice if it wasn't just another challenge like any other leg.
Old 05-07-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by marginal
I miss the hard finale challenges that built upon everything that happened during the race. It doesn't have to be something that involves memorizing the order of countries they went to, or remembering every challenge they did, but it would be nice if it wasn't just another challenge like any other leg.
I miss that too, but they've done that type of challenge so many times I think the contestants are expecting it now so they are paying more attention to details along the way.
Old 05-07-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Props to Vanessa for finishing that challenge on that ankle. If Bopper had to do that I don't think he would have made it.

Props to the producers for constantly showing the sisters at the final pit stop. All that eye candy, wasted.
Old 05-07-12, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Awesome finale. Probably one of the most exciting in recent seasons.

at Art on that final road block. That was just hilarious how they imploded on that.

Dave and Rachel are definitely one of the strongest overall teams in the show's history. I was really impressed that they didn't freak out when they missed the road block and went back and took care of business. Personally I thought they were fucked, but I'm glad they made it.

at the other Rachel. Good luck to Brendon and his future with that crazy chick.
Old 05-07-12, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I wonder if the producers threw Rachel and Dave a bone when they missed the last boat and they didn't give the teams the clue until the "rising sun." Seemed pretty fucking cheap when they racing around out of the airport trying to catch buses and shit only to have them get bunched up again.

Brendon and Rachel might have a had a serious shot at winning the whole thing if they hadn't read that clue wrong and gone off on a wild goose chase.
Old 05-07-12, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I wonder if the producers threw Rachel and Dave a bone when they missed the last boat and they didn't give the teams the clue until the "rising sun." Seemed pretty fucking cheap when they racing around out of the airport trying to catch buses and shit only to have them get bunched up again.
With it being already past 11pm (approx) when the Top 3 reached that area, I figured that it would be closed until the morning. Even if they got another clue, you couldn't proceed and do anything that late. The time in the evening ended up being a blessing for Dave and Rachel and that's how they ended up making up the 8 hour difference.
Old 05-07-12, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
at the other Rachel. Good luck to Brendon and his future with that crazy chick.
Holy shit! He needs to reconsider getting married to that simpering immature basketcase.
Old 05-07-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Article in today's Madison, WI print newspaper (online last night):

http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertai...a4bcf887a.html

Madison couple take title in 'Amazing Race'
JEFF GLAZE
Wisconsin State Journal
Sunday, May 6, 2012 9:27 pm

Sunday was a million-dollar day for a Madison couple.

Well, to be accurate, that winning day was sometime in December, but Madison’s contestants in the CBS show “The Amazing Race” were officially revealed as the winners when the season finale aired Sunday night.

On their way to victory, Dave and Rachel Brown scaled skyscrapers in Honolulu and paddled their way twice across a pond while standing on a surfboard-like raft. The couple won eight legs in all, making them the most successful team in “The Amazing Race’s” 20-season history.

“It was even more exciting (than winning in December), because we could actually talk about it,” Rachel, a project manager for Epic Systems, said in a phone interview Sunday night.

In the “The Amazing Race,” 11 teams of two race around the world for about 25 days, completing challenges along the way. The teams lagging behind are gradually eliminated. Rachel and Dave entered Sunday’s two-hour finale as one of the final four teams.

Their journey, which took them to five continents, nine countries and 22 cities, wasn’t without hiccups.

The win was in doubt when the Browns arrived at the final destination, only to be informed by host Phil Keoghan they had missed one obstacle.

“We thought he was kidding,” said Dave, who is in the Wisconsin Army National Guard and served in Iraq. “We were under the impression that there was just one roadblock.”

Coincidentally for a couple of Wisconsinites, the contest came down to bowling skills. After running into another team at the missed obstacle, Rachel had to roll a stone down a dirt field into a makeshift goal. After only a few tries, she came up with a strike.

“Dave and I were actually in a bowling league at Schwoegler’s one year and we were terrible. We were one of the worst teams in the league,” she said.

The couple, both in their early 30s, spent Sunday watching the finale with a group of other teams and meeting with members of an “Amazing Race” fan club in New York. They were scheduled to do media appearances today before returning to normalcy.

Rachel said she is flying to Seattle on a business trip this week. Dave is returning to UW-Madison, where he is an assistant professor of military science with the ROTC detachment.

The couple agreed that between Rachel’s business travel and Dave’s military deployment, being together throughout the competition was one of the most rewarding aspects.

“Just being with each other 24/7 was awesome,” Dave said.
Maybe I'll see them around town in their Tauruses. I wonder when they'll take all their trips.
Old 05-07-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

On Wisconsin.

Crazy that they almost literally lapped the field on the last leg.
Old 05-07-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After all the bitching the Border Agents did about racers blindly following other racers, it was pretty funny to see them get so screwed doing the exact same thing.
Old 05-07-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
After all the bitching the Border Agents did about racers blindly following other racers, it was pretty funny to see them get so screwed doing the exact same thing.
I know a lot of people didn't like them, and I wasn't a huge fan either, but JJ could have easily ripped into Art for doing that. JJ said right away that they never wanted to do that, but Art told the cabby to do it anyway. JJ made one more comment about it while in the cab, but when they got lost JJ took responsibility (even though it was Art's idea) and didn't throw Art under the bus (as he probably should have been).
Old 05-07-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bralph
I know a lot of people didn't like them, and I wasn't a huge fan either, but JJ could have easily ripped into Art for doing that. JJ said right away that they never wanted to do that, but Art told the cabby to do it anyway. JJ made one more comment about it while in the cab, but when they got lost JJ took responsibility (even though it was Art's idea) and didn't throw Art under the bus (as he probably should have been).
I agree, they weren't dicks to each other.
Old 05-07-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Not true--if they hadn't misread their clue about walking to the stadium, they'd have passed Art & JJ at the sledding (they already did--just not far enough ahead) as well as Dave & Rachel (because of their mistake) and won the game. It was a really stupid mistake that cost them $1 million.
Good points and I agree with your assessment. It's just that the editing for Big Brother in the finale for me never seemed to put them in serious contention for the win.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.