TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- "At the Codfish Ball" -- 4/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- "At the Codfish Ball" -- 4/29/12

Great episode.

Lane's been shut out 2 episodes in a row.

Oh Sally, you're too young to be wearing makeup and Go Go boots. These things are for adults, not children. Now go run off and watch Roger get a blow-job from your step-grandmama.

Peggy: "I don't know what the Canadian equivalent of baseball is, but this is a home-run"
Megan: "We have baseball"
(less than 3 years later Montreal establishes a MLB franchise... in Megan's home province no less).
Old 04-30-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, these last three episodes... this show has been firing on all cylinders.

I was just thinking the other day about Peggy's mom and her son (!). Glad they brought her back. I think Peggy has very conflicted feelings about moving in with Abe, and after the whole thing with Pete I bet her mother's comment cut deep. Talk about baggage.

I'm loving Roger with the post trip Euphoria.

"Someone once told me I could never see how other people think, he was right!"

Enjoyed Don and Megan as well. I thought it was cool how they made a good team, but interesting how that was undermined by her father's implication and perhaps her own feelings of settling too soon.

Really a great episode though. Everything about it. Structurally it was wonderfully done how all the characters wind up at the table at the end. Outstanding editing.
Old 04-30-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Coral
Great episode.

Lane's been shut out 2 episodes in a row.
But hopefully this means he will not miss out in the latter half of the season. Don't most of the supporting players have to sit out three episodes?

Great episode, though. And isn't this the first of the season not written or co-written by Weiner?

Loved that scene with them at the tables at the end.
Old 04-30-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odd that Peggy would think to tell her mom she was living in sin when she thought mentioning that her old roommate was Swedish was going to be a problem.
Old 04-30-12, 08:50 PM

I thought this was one of the best non-Roger lines of the entire series:

"You know what your aunt used to say? 'You're lonely, get a cat. They live 13 years, then you get another one and another one after that. Then you're done."

And as usual, Roger had some awesome lines:

Roger: "Who knows why people in history did good things. For all we know Jesus was trying to get the loaves and fishes account."

Roger: "It's very interesting but a lot of times you think people are looking at you, but they're not — their mind's elsewhere."
Don: "Lots of people that haven't taken LSD already know that, Roger."
Old 04-30-12, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
Roger: "It's very interesting but a lot of times you think people are looking at you, but they're not — their mind's elsewhere."
Don: "Lots of people that haven't taken LSD already know that, Roger."

That one was great! Hamm's delivery was perfect.
Old 05-01-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Forgive me if this is a completely dense question, but why did Meagan look so unhappy after talking to Peggy? Obviously Meagan expected Peggy to be jealous, but Peggy wasn't. Was she upset by Peggy saying that this was as good as the job gets?
Originally Posted by joliom
That's how I took it. That point was driven home at the end of the episode when her father tells her that she is surrendering her dreams by working in advertising and staying with Don.
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep. Didn't she come to NY to be a model or actress?
As her dad was telling her, she hadn't followed her dreams and had sort of "sold out". And while she was happy with her "win" at work, it really didn't mean that much to her, especially when it supposed to be "as good as it gets". That's fine for Peggy, but not good enough for Megan, she needs something else/more.

I also want to say that it's pretty great to be able to see Jon Hamm on TV, in just a few days apart, in tuxedo and in black-face.
Old 05-01-12, 02:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"How is Manhattan?"
"Dirty."

Perfect closing line.

The shot at the table was brilliant, and with the music reminded me of The Godfather. It felt like the flipside of the Heinz ad. Instead of three generations of happiness, it was three generations of unhappiness.

Great to see Juliette Binoche as Megan's mom. She's still a fox. I'd choose her over Jessica Pare any day.
Old 05-01-12, 04:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

anyone missing Betty? if so, say "aye"............................................................... crickets.
Old 05-01-12, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Great to see Juliette Binoche as Megan's mom. She's still a fox. I'd choose her over Jessica Pare any day.
It was Julia Ormond and while Binoche is better looking (and about a year older), for 47 Ormond does look great and hasn't resorted to plastic surgery.
Old 05-01-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I also want to say that it's pretty great to be able to see Jon Hamm on TV, in just a few days apart, in tuxedo and in black-face.
Banjo!

I thought this episode was great too. I wonder if they're setting up Megan to leave Don to pursue her dreams. It would really send Don into a downward spiral.
Old 05-01-12, 10:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
It was Julia Ormond and while Binoche is better looking (and about a year older), for 47 Ormond does look great and hasn't resorted to plastic surgery.
I'm convinced that Juliette Binoche and Julia Ormond are the same person.
Old 05-01-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Another great episode. I have to admit that I was expecting more of a letdown after last week's, but the show has really been excellent. I have to say that this is the first season where I have been following it live. Every other season has been through Blu-ray. It really is a different experience watching it this way. I think I prefer it chapter by chapter rather than big binges. It seems like this show is better when it has time to breathe a little bit. It's like you have more of an opportunity to appreciate how great it is.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
"Don, some day your daughter will spread her legs and fly away"
That was probably the line of the night for me.

Originally Posted by conscience
Thank you! I couldn't place her for the life of me. I always liked Ormond. At one time, she seemed poised to take on a lot of great roles, but it just never seemed to happen for her. She was great here.
Old 05-01-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm convinced that Juliette Binoche and Julia Ormond are the same person.
Me too. I thought that was Binoche and imdb'ed to find out it was Ormond (who's actually British).

I liked Pete Campbell's "...And that's what I do for a living" bit.

Also, I don't remember what the deal was with the full page anti smoking ad. Can someone refresh my feeble memory?
Old 05-01-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass

Also, I don't remember what the deal was with the full page anti smoking ad. Can someone refresh my feeble memory?
After Lucky Strike dropped SCDP as their firm (Phillip Morris wanted to consolidate all their brands under one agency), Draper, unilaterally and without telling anyone, took out a full page ad in the NY Times entitled "Why I'm Quitting Tobacco" and blasted the tobacco industry (which were the accounts that made him a success. It seemed to be career suicide. Things have been looking up lately, but apparently it's not close to being forgotten.

Old 05-01-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I call it Don's "Jerry Maguire" moment. You'll never make everyone happy all the time.
Old 05-01-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

We never did get an answer this year on when Cooper came back after that stunt Don pulled.
Old 05-01-12, 06:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Great so show this is!
Old 05-01-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

You know, if this season keeps it up (and seasons 6 & 7 don't flounder), I'm gonna have to put Mad Men as the best TV show of all time, just ahead of The Wire.
Old 05-01-12, 09:32 PM

It's a refreshing change to post about how a show has never been so good, as opposed to being the worst its ever been.
Old 05-02-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I replayed the baked beans pitch three times. It was so perfectly orchestrated. I really like Meghan and hope that she and Don can maintain a fairly righted ship. I would like the storyline to end with them still together.

I didn't care for the previous episode, but this one and the one prior were both simply brilliant.

The look that Don gave when Ken tried to stop the pitch was
Old 05-02-12, 08:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
I replayed the baked beans pitch three times. It was so perfectly orchestrated.
I watched this episode a second time this week (I've re-watched nearly all of this season's episodes, which doesn't happen for many shows). Anyway, completely agree on the beans pitch scene -- well staged all around. As was the sequence at the ball in the final act -- near perfection.
Old 05-02-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
The look that Don gave when Ken tried to stop the pitch was
Followed by Ken's sharp comment to his wife when she tried to talk about coffee--perfect.
Old 05-02-12, 01:15 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

"How is Manhattan?"
"Dirty."

Perfect closing line.

The shot at the table was brilliant, and with the music reminded me of The Godfather. It felt like the flipside of the Heinz ad. Instead of three generations of happiness, it was three generations of unhappiness.

I agree, great line. I also think this set up a future plot line as well.

And that table shot was one of my favorite of the series (outside of the finale of S1). Add in David Carbonara's excellent score, that is a winning combination.
Old 05-02-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
We never did get an answer this year on when Cooper came back after that stunt Don pulled.
Yeah, good observation and I agree that some sort of mention or reference to explain his return would have been nice. I would have thought that a brief comment from Roger to Cooper could have easily alluded to or explained what happened without taking up that much precious programming time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.