Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/22/12

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/22/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/2

Originally Posted by PatD
Whither Arsenio?

Aresenio was a syndicated show, not network.

You're mistaking Arsenio for Chevy Chase.
Old 04-23-12, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Fox - 25th Anniversary Special (Married/Simpson Pilots, 2 Hour Retrospective) 4/2

I was a little ticked that FOX ran a segment on their sci-fi shows and totally snubbed ALIEN NATION, which was not only their FIRST sci-fi show, but (I believe) the only show in FOX history whose series was followed up with a string of made-for-TV films. Then again, they also forgot Lone Gunman, Harsh Realm, Terra Nova (unless it came later in the show, which I didn't watch), Freakylinks, Space: Above and Beyond, and maybe a few others.

I did enjoy The X-Files tribute...makes me wish FOX would bring it back (new agents, new cases...maybe cameos by the originals).
Old 04-23-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

No love for Americas Most Wanted either. I thought for sure they would have a segment with John Walsh. Instead they have a whole segment on fucking sports. The show was revolutionary. Is it still on?
Old 04-23-12, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
No love for Americas Most Wanted either. I thought for sure they would have a segment with John Walsh. Instead they have a whole segment on fucking sports. The show was revolutionary. Is it still on?
It airs on Lifetime now.
Old 04-23-12, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was a little ticked that FOX ran a segment on their sci-fi shows and totally snubbed ALIEN NATION, which was not only their FIRST sci-fi show, but (I believe) the only show in FOX history whose series was followed up with a string of made-for-TV films. Then again, they also forgot Lone Gunman, Harsh Realm, Terra Nova (unless it came later in the show, which I didn't watch), Freakylinks, Space: Above and Beyond, and maybe a few others.

I did enjoy The X-Files tribute...makes me wish FOX would bring it back (new agents, new cases...maybe cameos by the originals).
Aside from Alien Nation, the other shows lasted only One Season and were not the cult hit like Firefly was (which they showed). Terra Nova was an embarrassment.
Old 04-23-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That was a pretty good 2 hour special.

I know they can't cover everything, but I think they did a good job covering some of the more memorable shows on FOX.

Nice to see the 24 clips and hearing Kiefer speak. Although Kiefer says the same thing about 24 over and over again.

Loved the final segment when they talked about In Living Color. Men on Film and The Homeboy Shopping Network were hilarious skits. I was in High School when that was on and it was probably one of the most talked shows at my schoo. Monday morning, all my classmates would say...."Did you watch In Living Color last night?" A little surprised that Damon Wayans didn't participate. I think In Living Color unfortunately went out on a whimper when Keenan Ivory Wayans left the show and they used different writers.

Beverly Hills 90210 was also one of my favorite shows growing up.

Hard to believe how old some of the cast is now. Ian Ziering is 48 and Gabrielle Carteris is 50. It was cool that they got them along with Priestly, Doherty to talk about the show. Priestly's appearance is almost the same except him being alot older and more haggard.
Old 04-23-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mhg83
Yeah I was disappointed they didn't talk about America's Most Wanted. I stopped watching it regularly after 5 seasons, but I watched that and Unsolved Mysteries every week at one point and I loved the recreations and they did alot to help Law Enforcement. Plus, I recall it got cancelled and brought back by viewers at one point in it's run. I would have loved to have heard from John Walsh.

Just a guess, but maybe now that it's on another network (Lifetime) they probably didn't want it mentioned on this special since they are paying for it's rights.
Old 04-23-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Aside from Alien Nation, the other shows lasted only One Season and were not the cult hit like Firefly was (which they showed).
How did they handle the fact that they completely bungled Firefly?
Old 04-23-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jason
How did they handle the fact that they completely bungled Firefly?
They didn't talk about it. Ryan Seacrest tossed to the FOX Sci-Fi catergory and they just showed a montage of clips from various science fiction shows that aired on FOX including Firefly. The clips showed alot more recent shows like Terminator, Dollhouse, Tru Calling.
Old 04-23-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^dont forget Dark Angel! (aka americas introduction to Jessica Alba
Old 04-23-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Priestly's appearance is almost the same except him being alot older and more haggard.
Jason Priestley was in a serious race car accident almost ten years ago.
Old 04-23-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see the special but I saw a pic on some website that looks like it was taken from that with 4 of the That '70s Show members. Surely Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis are the stars still getting work, but why did only those two, Valderrama and Laura Prepon show up?
Old 04-23-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

For one, IIRC Topher Grace is a douchey ingrate.
Old 04-23-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mcfly
I didn't see the special but I saw a pic on some website that looks like it was taken from that with 4 of the That '70s Show members. Surely Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis are the stars still getting work, but why did only those two, Valderrama and Laura Prepon show up?
Time constraints and they chose the most memorable characters from the shows they featured.

Beverly Hills 90210 had a huge cast over it's 10 year run. There is no way they could talk to everybody in a 3-4 minute segment. They talked to Priestly, Doherty and a couple of supporting characters.

Duchovny and Anderson talked in the X-Files segment. That's all that was needed. Don't need to hear from The Lone Gunman, Skinner, The Cigarette Smoking Man who were also important in the show.

Kiefer Sutherland spoke about 24. Jack was the star. Didn't need to hear from Chloe, Tony, Michelle, George, Palmer, Audrey, Logan etc.
Old 04-23-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Time constraints and they chose the most memorable characters from the shows they featured.
The "star" of the show though was Topher Grace. Ashton Kutcher got more screen time in later seasons as he kind of blew up for whatever reason.

Just kind of surprised that none of the Foreman's were in there is all.
Old 04-24-12, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Laura Prepon has regular had work as well. She's starred in a two shows in the past few years.
Old 04-24-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

I watched until they showed about 30 minutes of American Idol footage.

It was ok but I am more of a NBC guy.
Old 04-24-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dammit! I totally forgot about this! Anyone know if they plan on putting it on fox.com or hulu?
Old 04-24-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Laura Prepon has regular had work as well. She's starred in a two shows in the past few years.
She's yet to headline films. Regular work and being a star are two different things.