Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- Season Premiere -- "The North Remembers" -- 4/01/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season Premiere -- "The North Remembers" -- 4/01/12

This is probably the easiest map to follow the major locations in the show/book, the books have much more detailed maps at the beginning:

Old 04-02-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Oh, and in terms of Melissandre
Spoiler:
she really does have powers.
I saw a clip in a preview where it looked like she was "giving birth" to something.
Old 04-02-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort
No, he was on trial at the Eyrie, which is the seat of power of the Arryn family. Lysa Arryn is Catelyn Stark's sister and basically ran the place after Jon Arryn was murdered just before the beginning of season 1.

I thought the religion stuff was pretty easy to figure out, but I have read the books. I think it was spelled out enough when Maester Cressen was pleading with the people on the beach not to abandon their old gods for this new one, but obviously Melisandre wields a lot of power. I hope nobody sees this as a spoiler, but at least from reading the books, Stannis sees Melisandre as more of a means to and end... I've never really got the impression that he actually believes any of her mumbo jumbo, but it's enough that she's able to convince his people that she is dangerous.
It took me reading the books, watching the first season and reading all the threads here to fully grasp the religious tones in the series. I mean I understood the basics but not fully.

I can totally understand how someone who hasn't read the books can get confused. I don't think it was totally clear last night that the wooden statues burning were essentially effigies of the other religion. But I guess there are people who can pick up on that type of detail better than I can.
Old 04-02-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The King of the North!

I can't stop thinking/saying some of these phrases.

Spoiler:
Winter is coming.
Old 04-02-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Holy shit, Rob's Dire Wolf is massive.
The real Dire Wolves found in the La Brea Tar Pits were massive, so it figures that once the ones on the show grew up, they would be the same size.
Old 04-02-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
The real Dire Wolves found in the La Brea Tar Pits were massive, so it figures that once the ones on the show grew up, they would be the same size.
A Game of Thrones takes place on Earth?
Old 04-02-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great premier. I've re-watched Season 1 recently which really helped clear up some of the questions I had when I first saw it.

The only question I have is... now it seems that practically everyone of power knows that Joffrey Cersei and Jamie's son, whereas before only Ned Stark seemed to be in the know. How did word leak out?
Old 04-02-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Maester Cressen. He was the Maester at Dragonstone and helped raise the Baratheons.

You did notice he poisoned the wine right?
No, but I did notice he was Sio Bibble from the Star Wars prequels as soon as he came on screen.
Old 04-02-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
The only question I have is... now it seems that practically everyone of power knows that Joffrey Cersei and Jamie's son, whereas before only Ned Stark seemed to be in the know. How did word leak out?
Stannis said in his meeting he wouldnt make the same mistake Ned made by keeping that a secret. He sent out ravens to spread the info.
Old 04-02-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great premier. I've re-watched Season 1 recently which really helped clear up some of the questions I had when I first saw it.

Did you miss the scene where Stannis composes (and furiously edits!) the letter which he then broadcasts via raven-mail to all corners of Westeros?

Originally Posted by Thrush
Here I was thinking Stannis was this badass who no-one wanted to fuck with.
He is. Of all the kings rattling their sabres in Westeros, he is by far the most experienced in battle, known for his ruthlessness. Joffrey and Renly have never fought anything and Robb Stark, although doing quite well with his three victories so far, has only fought in these three relatively minor battles.
Old 04-02-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ned got word to stannis, stannis let everyone know, I think renly knew as well
Old 04-02-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Did you miss the scene where Stannis composes (and furiously edits!) the letter which he then broadcasts via raven-mail to all corners of Westeros?
No I didn't miss that scene and actually really enjoyed it... My question was more on... how did word get to Stannis in the first place... which I see was answered below.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Ned got word to stannis, stannis let everyone know, I think renly knew as well
Ah, I guess I need to watch the first season again for the third time. This is a very dense show. I absolutely love it!
Old 04-02-12, 09:45 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 274 Likes on 208 Posts

Ah, I guess I need to watch the first season again for the third time. This is a very dense show. I absolutely love it!
it was the letter that Ned gave to one of his men and told him to deliver the letter directly to Stannis and place it in only his hand.
Old 04-02-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A Game of Thrones takes place on Earth?
Well, an Earth-like place where Dire Wolves aren't extinct and Dragons are more than just legends
Old 04-02-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't know there were real giant wolf bones found in the La Brea Tar Pits. I'm off to Google.
Old 04-03-12, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
OK -- that's Gendry. Since he's a bastard, he has zero claim to the throne. Here's a rundown of the claimants we've seen so far:

Joffrey: If he is, in fact, Robert's trueborn son, then he is Robert's rightful heir.

Stannis: If Robert has no trueborn children, then the throne passes to Robert's next oldest brother, Stannis.

Renly: Renly is Stannis and Robert's younger brother. He doesn't have a legitimate claim to the throne per se while Stannis is alive, but his position is that Stannis would make a terrible king, and Renly is therefore next in line.

Daenerys: She is the head of the Targaryen line, which was deposed about 20 years before the events of the show. If we're going to have a revolution, why not restore the Targaryens, who had rules for three centuries prior.

Robb: Not a claimant to the Iron Throne per se. He wants to be the king in an independent North (the North had been independent until the Targaryen conquest, three centuries prior to the events of the show). As far as he's concerned, Joffrey, Stannis, and Renly can do what they like with the south.
Thank you for this.
Old 04-03-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I hate anyone on TV as much as I hate Joffrey. He is like everything the Harry Potter franchise tried to do with Draco Malfoy, only times a million billion trillion. Just the actors face makes me want to gag.

It's great!
Old 04-03-12, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The King of the North!

I can't stop thinking/saying some of these phrases.

Spoiler:
Winter is coming.
It's the King IN the North.
Old 04-03-12, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who's Gendry again?
Old 04-03-12, 08:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Who's Gendry again?
The blacksmith's assistant and Robert's bastard. Featured in the closing shot of this episode with Arya.
Old 04-03-12, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a soft spot for Gendry. He is the bastard son of Robert Baratheon. He was the boy that Ned visited at the blacksmith.
Currently Gendry has escaped Kings Landing and is on his way to the Wall with Arya.
Old 04-03-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gendry seems like he's going to grow into being a total badass.
Old 04-03-12, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Thank you for this.
There's also that guy north of the wall that the other guy with all the daughters mentioned. I'm sure I'm butchering the spelling, but it sounded like Mansrader or something. Not so much a claimant to the throne directly, but more like someone who just wants to rally an army and go invade.

Of course, given what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like the area north of the wall is really all that populated, so perhaps he's just someone with a few crackpot followers who thinks that they're stronger than they are.
Old 04-03-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mance Rayder, a former black brother.
Old 04-03-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xVladx
There's also that guy north of the wall that the other guy with all the daughters mentioned. I'm sure I'm butchering the spelling, but it sounded like Mansrader or something. Not so much a claimant to the throne directly, but more like someone who just wants to rally an army and go invade.

Of course, given what we've seen so far, it doesn't look like the area north of the wall is really all that populated, so perhaps he's just someone with a few crackpot followers who thinks that they're stronger than they are.
Mance Rayder. It was revealed in this episode that he was a former Night Watch brother who betrayed his vows and joined the Wildlings. He is now gathering them together in one huge army and calling himself king.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.