TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Punk'd - Series Thread

Old 04-09-06, 02:36 PM

Ashley Parker Angel is, by far, the girliest name I've ever heard.
Old 03-27-07, 11:27 AM

"Punk'd" pranksters unplugged at MTV (No, Really)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070327/en_nm/punkd_dc_1

By Kimberly Nordyke
Tue Mar 27, 2:03 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - MTV's celebrity prank show "Punk'd" will end after its upcoming season, during which unsuspecting victims will include Hilary Swank, Magic Johnson, Evangeline Lilly and Nelly Furtado, the network said Monday.

This isn't the first time such an announcement has been made. In December 2003, following the show's second cycle, executive producer Ashton Kutcher said he was pulling the plug. Speculation immediately arose that it was a ploy to lower the guard of celebrity targets; indeed, "Punk'd" returned in April 2004.

However, MTV Networks Music Group entertainment president Brian Graden said Monday that the show is officially finished this time, but that there might be future collaborations with Kutcher on other projects.

MTV plans to debut the entire final season -- all eight episodes -- back-to-back in a "Sneak Peek Marathon" starting at 1 p.m. April 7. The series then premieres at 9 p.m. April 10 as part of a new Tuesday night block that also will include "Scarred" at 9:30 p.m., "Real World/Road Rules Inferno" at 10 p.m. and "Living Lahaina" at 10:30 p.m.

Graden said it was unlikely that most viewers would watch the entire "Punk'd" marathon, but he hoped it would generate buzz for the show.

As a tribute to the final season, Kutcher will host a special "Punk'd Awards" honoring all eight seasons at 9 p.m. June 5. Kutcher created "Punk'd" with fellow executive producer Jason Goldberg.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I think this is a good time to end the series. Eight seasons is a good run and they have some very good "Punk'ds" over the years. I still think the first one with Justin Timberlake was the best reaction they've had.

I'm going to record the marathon so I don't have to worry about recording it each week.

Ashton has given us some fine moments in television starting with his 'Kelso' character on 'That 70's Show' followed by Punk'd and now 'Beauty & the Geek'.

Chris
Old 03-27-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Ahh, the memories. Whevever will I get my "pranking the overpaid, undertalented "celebrity"" goodness from?

Old 03-28-07, 12:44 AM

Don't they "cancel" every season?
Old 03-28-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still think this show would have been huge had they put more time into capturing the reaction of the "celebrities". They do the prank then they show the guy for like 3 seconds after finding out he was punk'd and then thats it. I was always curious as to what they thought, did they know it was coming, etc. But all we see is the actual setup and not hte payoff.

Just my opinion
Old 03-28-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I was always curious as to what they thought, did they know it was coming, etc.

I agree. What were they thinking as the prank was going on? Did they catch on as the prank was going on - if so when?
Old 03-28-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, over all this time, has anyone heard of a successful punking of Ashton himself? How many times do you suppose it's been tried and how much time, effort and film do you think has been wasted on failed attempts? I mean, did Timberlake ever get him back (other than the SNL impersonation)? Surely he's tried. I'm betting Ashton calls bull5hit on anything going on around him that appears suspicious or unusual.
Old 04-04-07, 05:10 PM

It looks like this is what he will be doing in the near future.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7347

3 KINGS (MTV, New!) - RDF USA ("Wife Swap") and Ashton Kutcher's Katalyst Films ("Punk'd") are developing a U.S. version of the British reality format of the same name. Said project, which will be shot in front of an audience, revolves around a set of masked contestants - possibly Kutcher himself or other celebrities - competing in a series of offbeat challenges focused on three separate areas: speed, skill and pain. Among the possibilities: tossing items at a bull until the bull chases them out of a ring. The winner then assumes the role of "king" while the losers are unmasked. MTV has given a pilot order to the project, which will be executive produced by Chris Coelen, Greg Goldman, Jason Goldberg and Kutcher via their respective companies.

Commitment: Ordered to pilot
Cast: TBA
Writer: TBA
Director: TBA
Executive Producers: Ashton Kutcher, Chris Coelen, Greg Goldman, Jason Goldberg
Studios: Katalyst Films, RDF USA
Chris
Old 04-05-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
I still think this show would have been huge had they put more time into capturing the reaction of the "celebrities". They do the prank then they show the guy for like 3 seconds after finding out he was punk'd and then thats it. I was always curious as to what they thought, did they know it was coming, etc. But all we see is the actual setup and not hte payoff.

Just my opinion
True dat. Sometimes they didn't even show the initial reaction to the prank, which is totally stupid.
Old 04-07-07, 07:13 PM

Damn it...forgot about this, until just now. So, did anyone catch the marathon?
If you did, are any episodes worth watching this season?
Old 04-07-07, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by NoDAK
Damn it...forgot about this, until just now. So, did anyone catch the marathon?
If you did, are any episodes worth watching this season?
I just watched the first episode and the last installment with Hayden Panettiere was pretty good. She is a spunky almost 18 year old.

And the previews of the remaining episodes (which I will watch during the next couple of days) look like there are going to be big fireworks happening. It should be a pretty good last season.

Ashton did talk about his wife Demi for the first couple of minutes. It was pretty funny, because the first stunt was based on her movie Indecent Proposal with Robert Redford & Woody Harrelson.

Chris
Old 03-30-12, 04:26 PM

Punk'd - New Episodes

This was awful!

And watching the producers and people involved get all excited....for Justin Bieber...was painful.

Last edited by dex14; 03-30-12 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-30-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

re: Punk'd - Series Thread

It was alright, love how Rob totally had it sniffed out that he was being Punk'ed. "Man the lighting is real nice, etc. This is Punk'ed, it has to be" That was too funny, otherwise yeah it was not as good as it has been in the past.
Old 03-30-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I felt the episode was kinda "meh" - I'm looking forward to the non Bieber episodes to really test it out though.
Old 03-30-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was this the one where they punkd Taylor Swift? I also heard they have plans for Selena Gomez
Old 03-30-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Was this the one where they punkd Taylor Swift? I also heard they have plans for Selena Gomez
Yes, punked her and tried to punk Rob Dyrdrek(sp.?) and finally Miley Cyrus.

Looking forward to when they punk Ronnie.
Old 03-30-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bad.
Old 08-18-15, 07:28 AM

Re: Punk'd - Series Thread

So... this is happening...

BET Networks unveiled the new cast of returning iconic prank series, "PUNK'D", which premieres Tuesday, August 18 at 10:30 PM ET/PT. Comedian and social media star, DeStorm Power, leads the team as host, while digital media powerhouse, King Bach, steps in as special guest host to pull off the funniest capers. Comedians and actors, Amberia Allen and Ron G., round out the cast as the featured "players" who directly interact with the unsuspecting celeb "marks." The cast names have been a closely guarded secret during production, as the team pulled off outrageous stunts on Hollywood's biggest celebrities. Comedian, musician and social media superstar DeStorm Power hosts this season, adding his comedic prowess and creativity which set the tone for what's sure to be a hilariously entertaining season. DeStorm was recently nominated for a 2015 Streamy Award and was previously awarded an American Music Award and a YouTube Music Award. Similarly, digital media superstar King Bach (aka Andrew Bachelor) has risen to fame with his hilarious sketch comedy viral videos on YouTube, and is one of Vine's most popular performers, counting over 13 million followers. King Bach has appeared on shows such as "Burn Notice," "House of Lies," and MTV's "Wild 'N' Out." No stranger to BET, Amberia Allen is a rising star who recently hosted "PS: The BET Post Show" and co-hosted BET's pop culture-skewering viral clip show, "The XPeriment." Finally, "player" Ron G., first made a splash as a finalist on Bill Bellamy's "Who's Got Jokes" and season six of NBC's "Last Comic Standing." He has also appeared on "Chelsea Lately's" round table and "The Arsenio Hall Show" as featured comedian.
Old 08-18-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Punk'd - Series Thread

Hopefully they pull a prank where somebody drugs Bill Cosby and rapes him.