Old 03-13-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The River -- "The Experiment" -- 3/13/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-02-07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"The Experiment" - The Magus crew find themselves in a stark predicament as they're stalked by a cannibalistic terror while searching through an abandoned research facility following mysterious clues that suggest Dr. Emmet Cole may still be alive. Meanwhile, security force leader Kurt is forced to make a heavy personal sacrifice when it comes to the safety of the crew, on "The River," TUESDAY MARCH 13 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Episode 7 of 8
Old 03-13-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: The River -- "The Experiment" -- 3/13/12

Best episode so far. Too bad the entire series could've been this good.
Old 03-13-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? Zombies? What is Hollywood's fascination with zombies?
Old 03-13-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least there was some action. At this point I'll take zombies
Old 03-13-12, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This episode was more like the Resident Evil games than any of the Resident Evil films.
Old 03-13-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Really? Zombies?
And fast zombies.
Old 03-14-12, 12:10 AM

anyone notice kurt's shoulder blades when he spoke russian to aj?
Old 03-14-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

No, what did you see? Was AJ his girlfriend/fiance?
Old 03-14-12, 12:36 AM

no ajs the lead cameraman and if u saw this episode do u remember how they found that kid with the weird shoulder blades? well they had shots of kurt from behind while he was talking to aj in the video room and at some points it looks like kurts shoulder blades were raising with flesh gurgling sound playing. Rewatch it and look for it
Old 03-14-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, this took an odd turn.
Old 03-14-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsairas
no ajs the lead cameraman and if u saw this episode do u remember how they found that kid with the weird shoulder blades? well they had shots of kurt from behind while he was talking to aj in the video room and at some points it looks like kurts shoulder blades were raising with flesh gurgling sound playing. Rewatch it and look for it
Do you like gladiator movies?
Old 03-14-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Really? Zombies? What is Hollywood's fascination with zombies?
I thought the same thing, rolled my eyes, then...

Originally Posted by TomOpus
At least there was some action. At this point I'll take zombies
I thought the same thing.

The shakycam was particularly shaky on this episode. It gave me a headache.
Old 03-14-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is next week 2 hours? I don't see how they're going to wrap all this up. Now there's a genetic experiment/zombie virus out there? That's a series by itself. How do you introduce a plot like that in the last episode?
Old 03-14-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It's only one hour as far as I know. I'm sure they were expecting to get a season 2 to continue the storyline.
Old 03-14-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom
It's only one hour as far as I know. I'm sure they were expecting to get a season 2 to continue the storyline.
Meh. I'm not interested enough in this to go through another season. I said it before, but just keep the production team and start a completely new story with different actors and everything.

If they can wrap this up somewhat nicely, this made a really nice little 8 episode mini-series. Sorry, but I don't want to watch season 2 of zombies running around or Emmet and Tess bickering about they're shitty marriage. I was just interested enough to keep going for 8 episodes, but no way would I invest any more time into these characters.

But I'd be all for another 8 episode supernatural type show (minus the shaky cam documentary bullshit)
Old 03-14-12, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is next week 2 hours? I don't see how they're going to wrap all this up. Now there's a genetic experiment/zombie virus out there? That's a series by itself. How do you introduce a plot like that in the last episode?
I almost wish they had started the series at the laboratory. Maybe the first hour could've been the journey along the river to the lab. Being a research/experiment lab would give reason to have cameras installed.

If they can wrap this up somewhat nicely, this made a really nice little 8 episode mini-series.
I bet we'll see a dragonfly buzzing off into the jungle as the last scene
Old 03-14-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

This was my least favorite episode so far. Zombies (or whatever) don't fit in with the 'ghost story' and spiritual themes that most of the other episodes have had.

I hope the finale is back to form.
Old 03-14-12, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't see how they're going to wrap all this up. Now there's a genetic experiment/zombie virus out there? That's a series by itself. How do you introduce a plot like that in the last episode?
The facility is so isolated that it's reasonable to expect the virus to just die out there (the infected showed no interested in spreading out into the jungle unless actively chasing someone).

I'm glad Emmitt was found ... hopefully next week will deal with this "source" and things will wrap up nicely. I wouldn't mind if this British tv pacing is repeated with more shows. Some stories can be told perfectly fine in 6 to 12 hours.
Old 03-14-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I wouldn't mind if this British tv pacing is repeated with more shows. Some stories can be told perfectly fine in 6 to 12 hours.
I totally agree. I think a lot of shows just waste half the season because they can't come up with 22 good episodes so most of it is just filler.

24 is a good example. I LOVED that show, but many times in every season I was pretty bored watching the episode. Numerous episodes every season were just a way to bridge the gap from one episode to another. Nothing happened. I think when there's 22 or 24 or however many episodes the production team gets lazy and thinks well we're allowed to have half a dozen stinkers if the other 16 episodes are good. That's when you get dream episodes or relationship episodes or whatever. I'm sure it's hard to come up with 20 plus compelling episodes every year.

Just stick with 8 REALLY well written and well acted episodes and move on. Do 3 of those a year and there's 24 episodes, which is more than most network shows anyway.

Obviously HBO knows the formula. I believe most of their shows are 12 episodes.
Old 03-15-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't think of them as zombies. Think of them as the Bitten from 28 Days/Months Later.

That's the mood they were going for.
Old 03-15-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm glad Emmit was found ... hopefully next week will deal with this "source" and things will wrap up nicely. I wouldn't mind if this British tv pacing is repeated with more shows. Some stories can be told perfectly fine in 6 to 12 hours.
I'm not sure if we've seen the real Emmet yet. I think the real Emmet is still back in the jungle or facility somewhere. The reason the dog didn't get on the boat is that he didn't want to leave Emmet behind.
Old 03-15-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
I'm not sure if we've seen the real Emmet yet. I think the real Emmet is still back in the jungle or facility somewhere. The reason the dog didn't get on the boat is that he didn't want to leave Emmet behind.
Interesting theory. You might be on to something. Usually scenes aren't just inserted into tv shows or movies for absolutely no reason. That dog was introduced as a friend to Emmet and he was so fond of the dog that he wouldn't even kill him to save his own life and the dog was able to find Emmet in the middle of the jungle. Then the dog shows up out of the blue at the end of this episode but refuses to get on the boat and runs away. There was no logical reason to show the dog NOT getting onto the boat at the end unless there was a reason for it. The show made a point of not killing the dog so I doubt we're just supposed to believe that the people, including Emmet, left the dog in the jungle to die. I'm sure the dog will show up again and it would make perfect sense that the dog wouldn't get on the boat because he knew that Emmet was still out there somewhere.
Old 03-15-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
This was my least favorite episode so far. Zombies (or whatever) don't fit in with the 'ghost story' and spiritual themes that most of the other episodes have had.

I hope the finale is back to form.
I thought it fit in well. Think of The Serpent and the Rainbow.