TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Green Arrow TV Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Green Arrow TV Series

http://blog.newsarama.com/2012/01/31...en-arrow-role/

The CW’s Green Arrow TV pilot now has an actor for the DC superhero title role, 30-year-old Canadian actor Stephen Amell, Deadline reports.

Amell’s credits include stints on fellow CW dramas The Vampire Diaries and 90210, with his, ahem, largest part of late on HBO’s Hung, where he played male prostitute Jason.

The pilot — which is currently just called Arrow — was officially ordered earlier this month. Justin Hartley played Green Arrow in Smallville, which ended last year — no word at this point if this new series will have any palpable connection to what’s come before. David Nutter, who directed the Smallville, Supernatural and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles pilots, is helming this one, written by Andrew Kreisberg, Greg Berlanti and comic book veteran Marc Guggenheim — the latter two worked on 2011′s Green Lantern feature, and created the ABC series Eli Stone.
Old 02-01-12, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Green Arrow TV Series

I like the idea of a Green Arrow show. Plus they got some good talent behind the scenes with Berlanti and Kreisberg. Kreisberg worked on Vampire Diaries and Warehouse 13, so he has talent as a writer. And David Nutter is probably the best guy to get to direct the Pilot. His Pilots usually get picked up. I watched Stephen Amell this past season on Hung and he definitely has the looks and physical build to play Oliver/Arrow. And I'm glad with this isn't a continuation of the character from Smallville.
Old 02-01-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I actually liked Justin Hartley as Green Arrow. Not sure I'm interested in anyone else taking over the part.
Old 02-01-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They can explain away the lack of Smallville tie-in by citing the "New52" relaunch that DC Comics undertook in September of last year, where they practically rebooted the DC Universe from the ground up to provide a new jumping-on point for new readers.
Old 02-01-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Wish they would have gone the route of the Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell.
Old 02-01-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
They can explain away the lack of Smallville tie-in by citing the "New52" relaunch that DC Comics undertook in September of last year, where they practically rebooted the DC Universe from the ground up to provide a new jumping-on point for new readers.
Why would they do that? Smallville wasn't part of DC's continuity to begin with.
Old 02-01-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
No one would care, of course. Most of existence doesn't even realize comics are still being published.
Old 02-01-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I actually liked Justin Hartley as Green Arrow. Not sure I'm interested in anyone else taking over the part.
I liked him too but am OK trying someone new. Someone mentioned in the Chuck thread that Yvonne Strahovski would make a good Black Canary, which I agree with but she might want to try a different kind of character.

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Wish they would have gone the route of the Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell.
Old 02-01-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madcougar
Why would they do that? Smallville wasn't part of DC's continuity to begin with.
Because people who watched "Smallville" have an automatic association with the character of "Green Arrow" being Justin Hartley on that show. Like it or not, Smallville was still springboarded from the Superman property that shows up in DC Comics, continuity or not.
Old 02-01-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
I liked him too but am OK trying someone new. Someone mentioned in the Chuck thread that Yvonne Strahovski would make a good Black Canary, which I agree with but she might want to try a different kind of character.
I've definitely thought Yvonne would make a kick-ass Black Canary (can't remember if I mentioned such thoughts in the Chuck threads).
Old 02-15-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/kati...w-pilot-arrow/

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37019

Katie Cassidy was cast as the female lead for "Arrow"

Susanna Thompson was cast yesterday as Oliver Queen's Mom

One interesting note the story mentions. Cassidy's character's name is "Laurel" Lance, who you comic geeks probably know is Black Canary.
Old 02-15-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
me too

and unrelated to the post I quoted:
the nerd in me wants a live action justice league spin off of smallville.
rotate characters so that the smallville cast will be willing to come back after having just done up to ten years (depending on who) of their character
maybe only have the ones that were big on smallville be in 2-3 episodes a year, more if they're willing, and have 13 episode seasons with 13 solid episodes instead of 20 that end up having 10 crappy filler episodes
Old 02-15-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/arro...-add-to-casts/

Willa Holland, who worked on The OC and Gossip Girl, was cast as Oliver's little sister.
Old 02-16-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd liked to have seen Yvonne Strahovski as Dinah Lance, but it's probably too soon (though Zach Levi already scored the lead in a comedy pilot).
Old 02-16-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This show has disaster written all over it. Was the CW so cheap as to avoid getting Hartley for the title role?
Old 02-16-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This show has disaster written all over it. Was the CW so cheap as to avoid getting Hartley for the title role?
It wasn't that they were cheap. This version of the Green Arrow is from a totally different creative team. Greg Berlanti, who created and produced Everwood, is behind this version.

What is also in the Pilot's favor is David Nutter is directing it. He directed some episodes of Game of Thrones last season and practically every Pilot he's directed has gotten picked up to series.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-16-12 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
No one would care, of course. Most of existence doesn't even realize comics are still being published.

You would have to be living under a rock to not know comic books are still being published, especially with DC's huge marketing campaign last year for their relaunch. It sounds to be more like you are still living with the very ignorant perception that comics are meant for kids. It always cracks me up when someone will go see a superhero movie but yet would rather drop dead than read a "kiddy book." Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Old 02-16-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I'll check it out.
Old 02-16-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I never watched Smallville, although the premise intrigued me. I may check this out b/c I'm a sucker for most comic book related shows/movies.
Old 02-16-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

You would have to be living under a rock to not know comic books are still being published, especially with DC's huge marketing campaign last year for their relaunch. It sounds to be more like you are still living with the very ignorant perception that comics are meant for kids. It always cracks me up when someone will go see a superhero movie but yet would rather drop dead than read a "kiddy book." Ignorance is bliss I guess.
I think he meant that comic publishing numbers are really low, especially compared to the movies and tv shows and whatnot. Most people will associate Green Arrow with Smallville and may not even know he's a comic book character. And I doubt that you'd need this "new 52" reasoning for the majority of the CW audience. They reboot Batman in the movies (and pretty much every year in cartoons), and more recently Spiderman, better to just establish that this has nothing to do with Smallville and move on.
Old 03-19-12, 01:32 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Green Arrow, unmasked!

Looking to generate a little buzz during an extremely crowded pilot season, The CW has unveiled the first image from Arrow, the network’s newest superhero project starring Hung‘s Stephen Amell in the title role.
Described as a modern retelling of the DC Comics’ Green Arrow property, the potential series revolves around former billionaire playboy Oliver Queen who, after being marooned for five years on a remote island, returns with a mysterious agenda and a lethal set of new skills that he uses in a war on crime.

Fans expecting Smallville 2.0 are in for a rude awakening.

“When I directed the pilot for Smallville, I knew that making Clark Kent relatable would be the key to audiences believing in him as a hero,” says Arrow helmer/executive producer David Nutter. “Arrow is a different show — darker and harder-edged — but it’s the same core idea. We’re creating a real, believable world in which Oliver Queen can do incredible things. [Costume designer] Colleen Atwood’s great work on the Arrow costume reflects that effort.”
Old 03-19-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a longtime Green Arrow fan, I'll be checking this out. I've heard rumors about a GA series but nothing concrete. I never watched Smallville apart from the JSA and LSH episodes, so I don't have any casting expectations.

I just hope they don't grimdark the character too much, as his wiseass nature has always been part of the appeal for me.
Old 08-15-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvline.com/2012/08/15/arrow-john-barrowman/

John Barrowman from Torchwood has joined the cast.
Old 08-15-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://tvline.com/2012/08/15/arrow-john-barrowman/

John Barrowman from Torchwood has joined the cast.
Damn. Now I have to watch.

But wasn't he attatched to some new period drama series for ABC?
Old 08-15-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

So the show is called 'Arrow', but is the character 'Green Arrow' or just 'Arrow' as well?

I understand they also changed Star City to 'Starling City'. Seems a little pointless to me, but I've never

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.