Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Californication -- Season Premiere -- "JFK --> LAX" -- 1/08/12

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Californication -- Season Premiere -- "JFK --> LAX" -- 1/08/12

I just didn't by Becca going for that kind of guy. She's this punk-rock type guitarist and now all of a sudden she goes to college and likes a douche like that?
Old 01-12-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Hank is a writer. The writers didn't fail you, this is the 5th season of the show and it isn't just another sitcom where you can pick up on characters on the fly.
I understand that. That's why I posted what I posted. The experiment was to see if writers cared about pulling in new viewers. Obviously, they don't. I have no intention of watching 4 prior seasons.

DJariya - thanks.
Old 01-13-12, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I just didn't by Becca going for that kind of guy. She's this punk-rock type guitarist and now all of a sudden she goes to college and likes a douche like that?
Its the pure definition of the Electra Complex.

She fell for a guy just like her father. Whether or not she's actually aware of that we don't know yet.

But I'm sure she is and is trying to prove some sort of point to Hank.
Old 01-13-12, 08:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I finally caught up with this last night and thought it was a decent premiere. Not surprised that the gal in the airplane would run into Hank later that day. This is Californication after all, where it seems only 59 people live in the surrounding Los Angeles area.

I wish they'd get rid of Macy. She's fine on Louie, but on this show she reminds me of Jeff's obnoxious wife on CYE. Curious to see where things go with (the) RZA...
Old 01-13-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Yeah, for some reason I also like her on Louie, but not Californication.

Although, I like Suzie on Curb. She's grating, but I think it's a very funny role.
Old 01-13-12, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRM114
I understand that. That's why I posted what I posted. The experiment was to see if writers cared about pulling in new viewers. Obviously, they don't. I have no intention of watching 4 prior seasons.
Actually, if you saw the 5th season premiere, you pretty much saw the first 4 seasons right there.
Old 01-13-12, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
To be fair to the guy, he can do a lot better than Becca. At least he's got a personality, even if he's a d-bag.

Dating Becca would be like dating a robot...and not a very interesting one, at that. Although not a fan of the show, it does have some fun characters. Becca ain't one of them.

The "Father"..."Yes, daughter" patter got old in the first season. Don't know if it's the actress's fault or the writers, but Becca's character is right up there with young Luke, young Darth, and the two kids from Weeds (the younger son & the best friend's daughter). These kids have to be related to the producers.
Old 01-13-12, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The rapper's girlfriend has an insane body.

Meagan Good is a goddess.

Last edited by IBrshao; 01-13-12 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
One thing I liked about the premiere is that Karens new husband seems to be a good guy, meaning the kind of guy Hank likes. Makes it seem less likely that the game plan is for him to steal Karen away... Again.

This show can do well focusing on Hanks career and his relationship with Becca and Karen without Karen having to be the center of his love life. Hopefully the idea of this reset is that they understand now that they can't be together romantically, leaving Hank open to be Hank.

Agree 100%. If they try the whole Hank wants Karen story again, I will be greatly disappointed . That ship has sailed and I'm hoping Karen's "this little fishy isn't biting" line means that's over. Judging from the still shot in the teaser above, seems like Becca's new boyfriend and Hank will get into a tough spot together (I think that's him in the background).
My only fear is that this season will get too much into the 'gangsta" element. I really think another attempt to illustrate how much "ghetto life" there still is in LA would prove boring.