Old 12-13-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Glee -- "Extraordinary Merry Christmas" -- 12/13/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-11-29

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When New Directions is asked to perform at two different events on the same day, at the same time, they have a tough decision to make. Will they choose correctly and spread Christmas cheer, or will their ambition get the best of them? All this and more in the all-new "Extraordinary Merry Christmas" episode of GLEE airing Tuesday, Dec. 13 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-309) (TV-14 D, L)

Episode 9 of 22

Last new episode of 2011. Will return January 17th.
Old 12-13-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Extraordinary Merry Christmas" -- 12/13/11

jesus tapdancin christ who thought this episode was a good idea?

i think someone slipped me a roofie and i am imagining this.
Old 12-13-11, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This episode is epically horrible.
Old 12-13-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh come on! It was great!
I really enjoyed it.

Old 12-13-11, 10:14 PM
Banned

Great episode. A few points:

1) I guess they're just introducing these original songs without any fanfare or explanation now? I guess these kids are all musical geniuses who can come up with the most complicated songs off the top of their heads and perfect them without any trouble whatsoever.

2) Loved the ode to ol' timey Xmas specials, complete with the call out to "And now, a message from our sponsors" before the commercial break.

3) Finally, the four best singers on the show get a song without any of the others interfering. Woo for Blaine, Kurt, Rachel and Mercedes.

4) Almost popped a boner during the Cheerios number. Mmmm.

5) Threw me for a second when Shamus McStereotype asked Sam to be his "Valentine's Day" sponsor...

All in all, one of the better episodes this season. Probably because they dropped all the horrible storylines and just focused on Xmas. Don't know what the people who hated it are smoking.
Old 12-13-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Rachel is more of a man than Finn is at this point.
Old 12-14-11, 08:47 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Artie's Christmas Special, at least until the Cheerios came out, may have been the most unwatchable thing this show has ever done. But I always *despise* that sort of forced cheese/camp. It's only fun when it happens naturally. I couldn't tell if we were *supposed* to think Artie had made something terrible, or if we were supposed to think he had made some great throwback... the way they portrayed him as an out of control a-hole director would suggest the former, but the fact that not one character made a negative comment about it points to the latter. Seriously, not even Santana could muster a snarky comment about the production?

I did like the original song, though.
Old 12-14-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
3) Finally, the four best singers on the show get a song without any of the others interfering. Woo for Blaine, Kurt, Rachel and Mercedes.

All in all, one of the better episodes this season. Probably because they dropped all the horrible storylines and just focused on Xmas. Don't know what the people who hated it are smoking.
I totally agree with both of these statements. Honestly the whole episode reminded me of Charlie Brown for some reason... I liked that they basically said "screw the plot" and just had an hour of fun Christmas songs and celebration and essentially no drama. I'm loving the extra screen time Mercedes has been getting this season!
Old 12-14-11, 07:16 PM

I certainly can't hate on a Christmas special. It was fun and cheesy. Liked it.
The only complaint that really came to mind was this it was a minimal plot commercial to sell the Glee Christmas album.
Old 12-15-11, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What makes me angry is the inconsistencies of Sue. Horrible one week and never grateful for anything anyone does for her. Last years Christmas could have been a turning point for the character as she seemed to turn over a new leaf but then the very next episode she is back to the Bitchy Crazy Sue.

The Black and White Christmas special was pretty good for about 5 minutes but it kept going and going and going. I don't even really get why the Star Wars stuff was suppose to fit or be funny.
Some good songs but overall a big mess.
Old 12-15-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I laughed hard at the hard cut to Chewbacca in Artie's dream. So random and funny.

I thought this was a good episode with lots of nice moments. I can't stand most Christmas music but they performed it well. Overall, it was a pleasant episode to watch.
Old 12-16-11, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I think I'm almost out. This is becoming unwatchable.
Old 12-16-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I think I'm almost out. This is becoming unwatchable.
I'm getting pretty close myself. Ryan Murphy has a pretty solid reputation of screwing his shows up as they progress.
Old 12-17-11, 01:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like this show because it is so terrible. I like it in the same way that I like really shitty poems that are written by emo, angst-ridden teenagers. I like it in the same way that I like old Lawrence Welk reruns. Glee is bad on so many different levels. It's the most preposterously absurd show in all of television history. It's terribly written, horribly acted, it's positively cringe-worthy. The worse it gets, the better I like it.
Old 12-17-11, 09:38 AM

This episode was bad, but I liked it more than last year's Christmas episode.
Old 12-21-11, 01:44 AM

Damn this was preachy (I know, when's it not?)

All the profits from the Xmas CD/Download are going to feed the poor, right?
Old 12-21-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Artie's Christmas Special, at least until the Cheerios came out, may have been the most unwatchable thing this show has ever done. But I always *despise* that sort of forced cheese/camp. It's only fun when it happens naturally. I couldn't tell if we were *supposed* to think Artie had made something terrible, or if we were supposed to think he had made some great throwback... the way they portrayed him as an out of control a-hole director would suggest the former, but the fact that not one character made a negative comment about it points to the latter. Seriously, not even Santana could muster a snarky comment about the production?

I did like the original song, though.
I think it was supposed to be the latter. His special was pretty painful, though.

Originally Posted by celmendo
I certainly can't hate on a Christmas special. It was fun and cheesy. Liked it.
The only complaint that really came to mind was this it was a minimal plot commercial to sell the Glee Christmas album.
While I was watching, I said to myself, "I guess there's a Glee Christmas album that must be coming out."

Originally Posted by riley_dude
What makes me angry is the inconsistencies of Sue. Horrible one week and never grateful for anything anyone does for her. Last years Christmas could have been a turning point for the character as she seemed to turn over a new leaf but then the very next episode she is back to the Bitchy Crazy Sue.

The Black and White Christmas special was pretty good for about 5 minutes but it kept going and going and going. I don't even really get why the Star Wars stuff was suppose to fit or be funny.
Some good songs but overall a big mess.
I completely agree. It made no sense that all of a sudden Sue would want the glee club to perform for her so much. And the special was painful. I thought it had some potential, but it wasn't good at all.

I would say that I'm close to the stopping point with this show, but it's so hard for me to work a show out of my rotation. We'll see how the season progresses, I guess.
Old 12-21-11, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dotheDVDeed
All the profits from the Xmas CD/Download are going to feed the poor, right?
Was this sarcasm?...because they actually are.
Old 12-22-11, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Was this sarcasm?...because they actually are.
Okay I stand corrected. ... However only the profits from their cover of "Feed the World", the rest of the Xmas album will probably help someone get their second boat.
Old 12-22-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by dotheDVDeed
Okay I stand corrected. ... However only the profits from their cover of "Feed the World", the rest of the Xmas album will probably help someone get their second boat.
Not enough charity for you, huh? Maybe they should give all profits of all songs from here on out to charity. Why should anyone make money, am I right?