Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Picked up the first two seasons of Mad Men ojn Black Friday...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Picked up the first two seasons of Mad Men ojn Black Friday...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Picked up the first two seasons of Mad Men ojn Black Friday...

The part of the show I really have enjoyed is all the refrences to history like the newpaper article about Castro taking over Cuba, the Volkswagon ad, and the 1960 presidential election.
Old 11-28-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been renting the DVDs over the past several months and am just about done with Season 3 - I think I have 3 episodes left. Even from Season 1 I've thought Mad Men is fantastic. I didn't know much about it other than hearing about all its Emmy wins, which is what got me to start watching it. Haven't regretted it a bit. Looking forward to being able to watch the new season "live" next year.

I haven't yet seen Breaking Bad, but that'll go into my Netflix disc queue once I'm done with Mad Men.
Old 12-01-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Yup, lots more guns and shooting and drugs in BB to wake you up when that talking starts to bore.
Oh come on! The scene with
Spoiler:
the lawnmower in the office
had to be one of the greatest WTF!/wake-up! moments in TV.
Old 12-01-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
The other thing is it depresses me. Were there happy people in 1960? Come to think of it nobody seems too happy in Breaking Bad, but that doesn't depress me at all. In MM, the acting is great, but a lot of the time I don't understand why most of them do what they do, why they make the decisions they do and people seem unhappy for no apparent reason other than the show wants them to be..isn't making a lot of sense to me. Maybe due to everything being so different then or something. But I watch Boardwalk Empire, set 40 years prior, and I think they'd fit in better now than people in MM would now.
I think that is an integral part of it ... this was the point in history when we became convinced that material possessions were the key to happiness. The world was moving to a crux of unrest (civil rights movement, Cuban missile crisis, Viet Nam, etc.) and these are the men who convinced us a new washing machine was the cure to being depressed about it.
Old 12-02-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The show is slowly paced but not in a negative way at all. I disagree with whoever said it wasn't 'exactly riveting'. There are moments in this show where I am literally on the edge of my seat biting my nails at some of the tension during some scenes (there are quite a few in season three, hell, which isn't even my favorite season).

The only thing I dislike is now there are caps on how many episodes some of the actors can be in or can be in with no/hardly any lines. So my favorite characters (Pete and Lane) are sorely missed a lot.

And to the shows the OP likes: those shows puttered out quick (Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me after season 2, Weeds after the third) but Mad Men's latest fourth season, IMO, is probably its best.

Last edited by conscience; 12-02-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-02-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I think that is an integral part of it ... this was the point in history when we became convinced that material possessions were the key to happiness. The world was moving to a crux of unrest (civil rights movement, Cuban missile crisis, Viet Nam, etc.) and these are the men who convinced us a new washing machine was the cure to being depressed about it.
I've now made it about halfway through the second season I think, and liking it more. Some really interesting stuff, well Draper's background is interesting, and Peggy. I do think having at least one couple that's actually happy might balance things out a bit. I find it weird that there are very, very few instances in the show where people are "real" with each other. Almost every interaction people are putting on a front.
Old 12-02-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the first episode of Mad Men was brilliant. You follow this guy in the ad business, see how he works and thinks, see him hang out with his girlfriend, see him with his co-workers, etc. You start to feel like you've got a feel for this city guy living the life. Then in the last moments of the episode he goes home to his wife and kids, and you realize you didn't really know him at all.