Old 11-04-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Grimm -- "Bears will be Bears" -- 11/04/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-11-04

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A case of breaking and entering introduces Nick (David Giuntoli) and Hank (Russell Hornsby) to a mysterious family whose cultural background blurs the line of right and wrong. Meanwhile, Nick tasks Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) with safeguarding Aunt Marie (guest star Kate Burton). Bitsie Tulloch, Sasha Roiz and Reggie Lee also star.

Read more: Listings - GRIMM on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1cmZZWccJ

Episode 2 of 13

Promos:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1365661" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1365245" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 11-04-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Grimm -- "Bears will be Bears" -- 11/04/11

I think NBC was in a state of shock with the ratings this show got last week. So much so that they decided to air a reminder that this episode was airing tonight after every freaking show they had on this week. Or at least after every one I watched.

To be honest, I was kinda shock at how good this show did as well. I thought this and Once Upon A Time would bomb badly, and now they're two of the biggest hits (at least on their networks).
Old 11-05-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked last night's episode. I like the nice interchange with the bublat and Mr Grimm.

Loved the conflict the blublat had with Grimm's aunt, but still chased after the killers and loved him tearing off the arm and talking about he went a little to far lol.

I know this has been done before (One kind of normal cop, one 'monster' friend), but I really like it. I like this more than Once upon a time, and I didn't think I would. Hopefully being on Friday, it means they can get away with not the best numbers.
Old 11-05-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could kind of ditto my review of the pilot here. Good production but they aren't hooking me with a premise I want to like.

I don't get the thing with the pit trap either. I guess the bear people's (I hate the weird names they are using so far) tradition is to hunt humans and chase them into pit falls. You would think bears would be more of the rip limb from limb type hunters.

Wolf man's scenes were good. He's the best part of the show so far.
Old 11-05-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

For all it's supernatural trappings, this thing feels like a standard case-of-the-week police procedural. I was kind of hoping they'd do something a little more fresh with the premise.
Old 11-05-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
For all it's supernatural trappings, this thing feels like a standard case-of-the-week police procedural. I was kind of hoping they'd do something a little more fresh with the premise.
Well you have the case of the week police procedural, and the deeper mystery in regards to the blond girl/why she was trying to kill her aunt etc.
Have you not noticed that piece?
Old 11-05-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Well you have the case of the week police procedural, and the deeper mystery in regards to the blond girl/why she was trying to kill her aunt etc.
Have you not noticed that piece?
Its not the girl's aunt, it is Grimm's aunt. She is one of the "bad creatures" but I'm not sure if she is a female "wolfman" or something else we don't know the name of. We and Grimm have seen the girl's "alter appearance."

I still haven't figured out whether the show is grabbing me or not. It is different but it is not great.
Old 11-05-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll keep watching. The three bears premise was intriguing to me.
Old 11-06-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

I actually kind of liked this episode more than the Pilot, but it lacked a little bit of edge to it.

The Bear family was interesting, but the setup with the couple breaking into their home and fooling around didn't really work. I was actually disappointed they didn't kill the couple. Currie Graham has managed to get alot of work since he left NYPD Blue years ago. I've seen him guest star on quite a few network and cable shows.

Yeah the show is designed like a Police Procedural incorporating some supernatural/fairy tale elements. But, I think they are slowly setting up a bigger mythology, especially with the Captain being the apparent big baddie and Nick learning more of his family's background as Grimms.

David Giuntoli isn't a great actor, but he is likeable as Nick. He does have chemistry with the Wolfman.

I thought the ending with the Priest trying to take out Nick's aunt was cool.
Old 11-06-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
But, I think they are slowly setting up a bigger mythology, especially with the Captain being the apparent big baddie and Nick learning more of his family's background as Grimms.
I hope they don't just make him a straight "baddie". There was a hint of something more when they discussed how they couldn't let the Aunt talk with him or she might ruin their plans for him. I'm not expecting it, but it would be cool if they put him in a grey area, maybe a dark grey. With the way they have some monsters trying to live "normal", moral lives it might be a possibility.
Old 11-06-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I give every show like this two eps before deciding if I want to continue. So far, I'm on board. I want to know more of the subplot with the Capt and the blonde. I'm in for at least one season.
Old 11-07-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eddie W
They are trying to emulate Supernatural and other shows that deal with hunting monsters.
It has a Been there, done that feel to it.