Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC - Cancels The Playboy Club, Full Season Pickup for Up All Night & Whitney

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBC - Cancels The Playboy Club, Full Season Pickup for Up All Night & Whitney

While not a great show, I was watching The Playboy Club. Although, Pan Am is indeed the better of the two.

I still think NBC was rather foolish to debut a show that needed a sizable male demographic when Monday Night Football is on. If they wanted any audience for this, they either should have waited until January or tried it during the middle of the week.

Apparently this will be replaced with repeats of Prime Suspect for the next three weeks until Williams magazine show premieres. New airings of Prime Suspect are getting lousy (though not Playboy Club lousy) ratings as it is. We’ll see how long that one lasts.

As for Whitney, I suspect like Outsourced it will run the full season and fail to be renewed.

NBC is a mess.
Old 10-04-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: NBC - Cancels The Playboy Club, Full Season Pickup for Up All Night & Whitney

But seriously, it serves them right for having something with "Playboy" in the title and then putting it on a broadcast network.
From ABC in 1979:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9mPGPdD2R8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, piss. I was really liking this show. I had a feeling it wouldn't last long with the word "Playboy" in the title, but I was hoping for more than 3 episodes.

And I also think that Whitney is garbage. We watched 2 eps and bailed on it. If Prime Suspect and Pan Am get canned, every new show we took a chance on will be gone or quit by us.
Old 10-04-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really surprised Whitney got picked up. The pilot was horrible.
Old 10-04-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Really surprised Whitney got picked up. The pilot was horrible.
I'm not, for no other reason then it has to be pretty cheap to shoot compared to something like The Playboy Club.. Don't get me wrong, I too think Whitney is a pretty bad show but I get why they decided to give it a shot, it's pretty low risk..

as for Playboy club being canceled, I'm not really surprised it has been canceled but I am a little surprised it is one of the first shows to go.. For no other reason then NBC really has nothing going for it right now so I thought they would pretty much -The CW- like "stick it out" no mater what the rating were like..

Ya know, sort of like accepting they are just going to be in 4th or 5th place for a while so shrug and go -Yeah we suck so I guess those numbers are good enough, for now-.. It's not like they have been holding BACK the good show, just waiting to replace something.. What now? Turn Biggest Loser into a 3+ hour show?
Old 10-04-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It's not like Robert Greenblatt can turn around NBC overnight. He only started working there about 6 months ago. He's like a professional sports GM needing to rebuild a really bad team from scratch.

Considering how many different shows are on the networks and cable, it's really tough to find new product that will reasonate with people. It seems like the only programs that people are really enjoying on NBC are the sitcoms. They are struggling developing a new 1 hour drama that will last more than 1 season. Parenthood is the last 1 hour drama that seems to be doing moderately well and is in season 3 now.
Old 10-04-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a couple of days ago, I said to someone that I hope the networks give the 3 new shows I've started watching this fall more than 2-3 episodes to succeed... and now The Playboy Club has been axed after just 3. Why not try it on another night or timeslot, NBC? This is exactly why some viewers are reluctant to try new shows: they don't want to invest time in them if they're not even going to last a season. Bastards.
Old 10-04-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just another reason why I don't watch tv anymore. Cancelled after 2 episodes? Why even bother making and promoting it? I mean do they expect American Idol numbers? What's the harm of letting it go a little while longer? I know it was a different time, but I think everybody knows that Cheers finished dead last it's first week and Seinfeld was a complete bomb for what...2 full years at least. Lucky NBC didn't cancel those? I won't pretend to understand the economics of this stuff, but advertising the shit out of a show and then cancelling it after 2 weeks just doesn't make any sense.

I was mildly interested in Terra Nova on FOX but didn't even bother because I know it'll get cancelled. Frankly, the last new show I watched was The Sarah Connor Chronicles and I got totally burned on that. I loved that show and it got the ax. That was pretty much the end for me.
Old 10-04-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Terra nova at the very least will get it's full 13 episode season I would think
Old 10-04-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Just another reason why I don't watch tv anymore. Cancelled after 2 episodes? Why even bother making and promoting it? I mean do they expect American Idol numbers? What's the harm of letting it go a little while longer? I know it was a different time, but I think everybody knows that Cheers finished dead last it's first week and Seinfeld was a complete bomb for what...2 full years at least. Lucky NBC didn't cancel those? I won't pretend to understand the economics of this stuff, but advertising the shit out of a show and then cancelling it after 2 weeks just doesn't make any sense.

I was mildly interested in Terra Nova on FOX but didn't even bother because I know it'll get cancelled. Frankly, the last new show I watched was The Sarah Connor Chronicles and I got totally burned on that. I loved that show and it got the ax. That was pretty much the end for me.
From the PTC article above:

The conservative media-watchdog group, which has called for a boycott of the series, issued a release Wednesday crowing that seven advertisers have pulled out of the series since its premiere last week.

Low ratings, poor reviews and advertisers pulling out are a deadly combination. Cheers and Seinfeld were less expensive and far less controversial. That, and the 80s on TV is far different than the 2010s on TV.

The Playboy Club had to get numbers to justify the advertisers sticking around despite the controversy. That didn't happen.
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.accesshollywood.com/_article_54622

Even Hugh Hefner says The Playboy Club should have been on cable.
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

TPC dropped to a 1.2. There is no recovery from that.

They might finish out the 13....or wrap the series up somehow for International markets. No loss, I just deleted the previous 2 episodes from my DVR.
Old 10-04-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by meritocracy
I still think NBC was rather foolish to debut a show that needed a sizable male demographic when Monday Night Football is on.
Agreed. Amber Heard naked could have gotten me to switch from MNF in a millisecond. Watching Eddie Cibrian doing an awful Don Draper impression couldn't. Even Jon Gruden is more exciting!
Old 10-04-11, 10:20 PM

None of these should have been picked up.
Old 10-04-11, 10:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.accesshollywood.com/_article_54622

Even Hugh Hefner says The Playboy Club should have been on cable.
no nudity = no sale.
Old 10-04-11, 10:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
But seriously, it serves them right for having something with "Playboy" in the title and then putting it on a broadcast network.
This is the correct answer.

I'm surprised that these Mad Men clones are popping up all of a sudden, and so close together. The draw of Mad Men isn't the period elements (although those can be fun), but the sharp writing, top tier performances, and Christina Hendricks' bosom.
Old 10-05-11, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While not great i still watched and enjoy Playboy Club! And thank god it wasn't a murder MYSTERY or else I'd be very mad not knowing who killed who. But good thing it was just Maureen trying to cover up the murder.
Old 10-05-11, 08:25 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Sucks to be Cibrian.

Looks like its trying to find a new home...? I'd like to see it on Starz or something.

Hours after his show was canceled by NBC, The Playboy Club‘s Eddie Cibrian was admitted to Northwestern Memorial Hospital after injuring his right heel while filming on the Chicago set, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Cibrian was reportedly running down an alley when he suffered a deep gash on his heel after it got stuck underneath a steel door.

Though the drama was canceled after only three episodes, filming has continued with the hope that the series can find a new home.
Cibrian’s representative and NBC did not immediately respond to a request for comment
Old 10-05-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The draw of Mad Men isn't the period elements (although those can be fun), but the sharp writing, top tier performances, and Christina Hendricks' bosom.
Exactly.
Old 10-05-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I was actually kind of digging Playboy Club. I thought it had potential. Plus, I wanted it to stay so it would stick in the craw of the PTC.

Bummer.

I think Up All Night has potential too. Hope it continues to improve.

Whitney looked horrible from the previews, so I never even watched it.
Old 10-05-11, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
More shocking is they picked up Whitney for a full season. Horrible show.
I completely agree. I like Whitney Cummings but this show is like one of those bad early 2000s sitcoms on The WB.
Old 10-05-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
This is the correct answer.

I'm surprised that these Mad Men clones are popping up all of a sudden, and so close together. The draw of Mad Men isn't the period elements (although those can be fun), but the sharp writing, top tier performances, and Christina Hendricks' bosom.
10 points to Gryffindor. 5 for bringing up Christina Hendricks' juggs, and 5 for using the word bosom, instead of juggs.
Old 10-05-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pissed off about the news about Whitney. The show is pure crap. (Sorry if this is pissing off people who like it.)