TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terra Nova -- 2 Hour Series Premiere -- "Genesis" -- 9/26/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Terra Nova -- 2 Hour Series Premiere -- "Genesis" -- 9/26/11

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Yeah, my wife and I dropped out after 45 mins. The future stuff was somewhat interesting, but once they jumped to Terra Nova, it just fell apart for us.
Agreed.....This show is bad. Interesting idea, boring execution...........
Old 09-30-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't expecting much at all, but I enjoyed it. I'll give it a few more watches, as it has the making of great guilty pleasure material.
Old 09-30-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

Id like to see the head guy have a sexual relationship with the cool teen girl (the one who took charge). That would give the show some edge
That scene was a little creepy, the actors almost played it like that was going to happen. I suspect the writers were aiming for a father-daughter relationship. The show might have been more interesting if something shocking like that had occurred.
Old 09-30-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You thought the future looked clean?
I'd imagine that in an environment on the verge of ecological collapse, its citizens would look a little less...polished.

And the people populating a prehistoric past would look a little less like they model for Abercrombie and Fitch.

Like I said, a nitpick. But it does pull me out of the story a bit.
Old 09-30-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by barelypure
And, for the guy who didn't know who Peter was, I mistakenly thought that referring to the show Fringe in the post would be a clue. My bad. I'll try to be a little clearer for our "special" posters.
I don't understand, who did I insult? Certainly not someone who thinks they are ^ Kristen Bell.

How often do you stick your head out for some fresh air and sunlight?
barelypure:

Sarcastically referring to another poster as "special" is insulting. Please keep the tone here civil. Thanks.
Old 10-01-11, 10:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by starman9000
I wasn't expecting much at all, but I enjoyed it. I'll give it a few more watches, as it has the making of great guilty pleasure material.
i had read an advanced preview that was negative about the dinos, but i too enjoyed it. will watch a few more times to see if it draws me in. is this the new lost?
Old 10-01-11, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love dinosaurs and really wanted to love this but didn't like it. Beginning was annoying with stashing the little daughter and the father going to prison. Isn't it premise enough that they're going back to the stone age? Show feels a little like Primeval, but no where near as good. I'm wondering if that lady
Spoiler:
is the son's girlfriend only older from the beginning of the show? Probably not.
Old 10-01-11, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as an after thought, but the female leader of the sixers was the dog trainer from Pushing Daisies. I was half expecting her to have trained the dinosaurs to be obedient. Also, I just read "Ready Player One" and the evil dudes in there are also referred to as sixers.
Old 10-02-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. I think me wanting to like this will probably get it a few more weeks. I liked Jason Mara in Life on Mars, and Stephen Lang is pretty bad-ass.

Like others I so wanted the teens to get killed, especially the son.

One thing I am hoping is that they don't go the predictible route and have the "sixers" be the "good guys" and Stephen Lang be the "bad guy".
Old 10-02-11, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis

One thing I am hoping is that they don't go the predictible route and have the "sixers" be the "good guys" and Stephen Lang be the "bad guy".
I thought the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they travel down that road.

--John
Old 10-02-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Don't know if Lang will turn heel on them, but the Sixers will definitely end up being the good guys if this lasts long enough.
Old 10-02-11, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'd imagine that in an environment on the verge of ecological collapse, its citizens would look a little less...polished.

And the people populating a prehistoric past would look a little less like they model for Abercrombie and Fitch.

Like I said, a nitpick. But it does pull me out of the story a bit.
Facial hair is what always kills me during these shows. You see way too few beards and the ones you do see are always super-sculpted. Hey guys, you totally don't have electric razors anymore. Ever tried to permanently keep three days of stubble using only a knife? GLHF.

I'm sticking with the show just for the dinosaurs. Hopefully the rest of it will catch up to the coolness of giant lizards at some point.
Old 10-03-11, 11:07 AM

Just caught this off the DVR over the weekend. I liked the beginning. Hated the parts with the teens getting attacked and none of them dying. There is no way that girl should have lived, and the boy sitting there so casual after a dino was just gnawing on his leg, uh yeah.
Maybe we will get flash forwards into that future more during the show, that might keep me interested.
Old 10-05-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got around to watching last night. First half was better than the second. Teen stuff is annoying. I said out loud at the beginning when they were in the future that I wished the show was going to stay there..I thought the dystopian future looked pretty cool for a show. Dino land got pretty cheesy. Definitely reminds me of Falling Skies. Hopefully it ends up a little better.
Old 10-06-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brilk
Facial hair is what always kills me during these shows. You see way too few beards and the ones you do see are always super-sculpted. Hey guys, you totally don't have electric razors anymore.
Why not? The premise isn't that they're suddenly throw back in time with no modern conveniences. They took modern stuff back with them, and they get supplies all the time. I see no reason to believe they'd have futuristic vehicles and weapons, but not have an electric razor.
Old 10-06-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Uhm, duh...

Old 10-06-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some people just don't pay any attention to what they're watching. Is it any wonder that don't enjoy anything.
Old 10-06-11, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MikahC
Why not? The premise isn't that they're suddenly throw back in time with no modern conveniences. They took modern stuff back with them, and they get supplies all the time. I see no reason to believe they'd have futuristic vehicles and weapons, but not have an electric razor.
They established that the future has ridiculously limited resources. Vehicles, weapons, and medical supplies are important to survival in the past and it's understandable that they'd be sent back. Thousands of Norelcos which require electricity, maintenance, etc. are only important to looking pretty. People are completely stupid, though, so I guess it's possible they're wasting resources like that.
Old 10-06-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

so they couldn't send back thousands of Gillette mach 5 razors? and for the record, i can't believe i just typed that sentence.
Old 10-06-11, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
so they couldn't send back thousands of Gillette mach 5 razors? and for the record, i can't believe i just typed that sentence.
The sculpted and super short "beards" they have on the show are from electric razors. I doubt they'd send back all those thousands of mach 5s and zillions of replacement blades during a huge resource shortage either, though.
Old 10-06-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Relatively unimportant thing to be thinking about when watching a tv show like this.
Old 10-06-11, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
Relatively unimportant thing to be thinking about when watching a tv show like this.
It's just like all the other things people talk about that are ridiculous. You just don't care about this one since you're part of the wacky hairless culture it portrays. Of course it's not important, though. This is a mediocre show about dinosaurs and dumb, angsty teens. Nothing about it is important.

Except the dinosaurs. They're alright.
Old 10-06-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There has to be some kind of bottleneck to the resources they receive, because they are hardly up to 19th century standards, let alone futuristic ones. Sure, they have some gadgets, but in terms of acreage and a secured perimeter today's military could do a lot better.

I hope those sonic canons guarding the gate were on stun or something, because they seemed to annoy at best the medium sized dinos chasing the trucks into camp. We obviously have better weapons today. Then again, perhaps they were on stun because they didn't want to have several tons of rotting meat just outside the camp gates.
Old 10-07-11, 09:23 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

It seemed to me like they were deliberately trying to stun dinos rather than kill them. Even when fighting the raptor-esque ones, didn't Lang say something about going for the belly because the tranqs wouldn't penetrate their hides? Don't really know the reasoning for that.
Old 10-07-11, 11:47 AM

If you were paying attention you'd know that they have electricity from solar panels. They even mention it in relation to the hot water in their shower. It's not too far fetched to believe that people brough their electric razors with them either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.