Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Are TV's Top-Rated Shows Ignored At The Emmys?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://awards.tv.yahoo.com/blog/59-w...d-at-the-emmys

I really disagreed with some things in this article and I got some laughs from some of the comments from NCIS fans.
Old 09-15-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Why Are TV's Top-Rated Shows Ignored At The Emmys?

How do I put this gently? The only way to appeal to the masses is to write to the lowest common denominator. Stupid people (and they are in the majority) enjoy stupid television. The cultural elite who decide who gets the awards don't like HeeHaw and NCIS and JAG and Married With Children.
Old 09-15-11, 05:02 PM

Fuck...If this wasn't from Yahoo News/Entertainment I'd almost think it was satire.

With all the hate on he has for elitists in Hollywood, their award shows and programs I'm betting the "author" is a one of the nutjobs from the Tea Party.

There's plenty of award shows for mass market low brow entertainment (many of which I enjoy myself) - can't there be ONE each for movies and TV for something more high brow?
Old 09-15-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Silly argument. Popular does not equal good. The Kardashians have millions of twitter followers... it doesn't mean they have anything brilliant to say.
Old 09-15-11, 05:10 PM

I agree madcougar most Emmy voters aren't watching NCIS. I have seen NCIS fans complain on different sites and articles for the past few years about the show and the cast not getting nominations. I was a bit surprised that Tom O'Neill would write an article like this.

I have watched NCIS several times and it doesn't have anything that makes it Emmy worthy. Mark Harmon is a decent actor but not Emmy worthy. Last year on EW.com there was an article about the drama actor nominees and there were fans commenting that Mark Harmon should have been nominated. I'm sorry but Mark Harmon isn't the same league as actors like Kyle Chandler or Jon Hamm. I think the actress that plays the goth chick is annoying. I think Hollywood in general doesn't care much for the NCIS cast despite the show having big ratings. Critics never praise that Harmon or the goth chick.
Old 09-15-11, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by wz42
Fuck...If this wasn't from Yahoo News/Entertainment I'd almost think it was satire.

With all the hate on he has for elitists in Hollywood, their award shows and programs I'm betting the "author" is a one of the nutjobs from the Tea Party.

There's plenty of award shows for mass market low brow entertainment (many of which I enjoy myself) - can't there be ONE each for movies and TV for something more high brow?

The author is Tom O'Neill from goldderby.com I found it a bit surprising that he would write an article like this. In the past he used to push for certain shows on cable or critically acclaimed actors and actresses to get nominated.
Old 09-15-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a horrible article and they disprove their own point when they mention The Kings Speech as a "snobby" award winner. Last I checked that was an inspirational feel good movie that made $100 million dollars that little old ladies in Peoria liked just as much as the "hoity toity" crowd.
Old 09-15-11, 05:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
The Kardashians have millions of twitter followers... it doesn't mean they have anything brilliant to say.
Hey now, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 09-15-11, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by writer106
The author is Tom O'Neill from goldderby.com I found it a bit surprising that he would write an article like this. In the past he used to push for certain shows on cable or critically acclaimed actors and actresses to get nominated.
Perhaps Moe wacked him on the head too hard and turned him into one of the stooges?

Since The Three Stooges are hardly elite he should like that reference.
Old 09-15-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
How do I put this gently? The only way to appeal to the masses is to write to the lowest common denominator. Stupid people (and they are in the majority) enjoy stupid television. The cultural elite who decide who gets the awards don't like HeeHaw and NCIS and JAG and Married With Children.
I can't stand dreck like NCIS or JAG either, so you had me until you dissed Married With Children, then you lost me. Whoooa Bundy!
Old 09-15-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This is like saying Pirates: Dead Man's Chest or Spider-man 3 were ignored because they were the highest grossing films of their respective year.
Old 09-15-11, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I can't stand dreck like NCIS or JAG either, so you had me until you dissed Married With Children, then you lost me. Whoooa Bundy!
Big MwC fan here but if it was on today I see it as more of a MTV Awards Show type thing.

As an aside I'd love to see a MwC movie with them causing havoc in France or something ala the Vacation movies.
Old 09-15-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
http://awards.tv.yahoo.com/blog/59-w...d-at-the-emmys

I really disagreed with some things in this article and I got some laughs from some of the comments from NCIS fans.

Uhhh, 24 was nominated for 12 Emmys in 2005. It was a Top 20 series in the ratings. I get that Procedural dramas don't get love, but not all popular shows are ignored.

Won for Best Drama, Actor, Director, Editing and Music.

You don't need to be a Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire to win Emmys. Even though 24 is over with now, season 5 was it's best creative year and was very popular with mainstream viewers. The Emmys were well deserved that year, including Kiefer winning best actor.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-15-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-15-11, 09:05 PM

You can always do as I do.....ignore the Emmys.
Old 09-15-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm usually indifferent to the nominations but I do fin it almost criminal that Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton have been ignored for 5 years.
Old 09-15-11, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm usually indifferent to the nominations but I do fin it almost criminal that Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton have been ignored for 5 years.

Kyle and Connie were nominated last year and they got nominated again this year.
Old 09-15-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Uhhh, 24 was nominated for 12 Emmys in 2005. It was a Top 20 series in the ratings. I get that Procedural dramas don't get love, but not all popular shows are ignored.

Won for Best Drama, Actor, Director, Editing and Music.

You don't need to be a Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire to win Emmys. Even though 24 is over with now, season 5 was it's best creative year and was very popular with mainstream viewers. The Emmys were well deserved that year, including Kiefer winning best actor.
Lost also won the year it was at its best and most popular.
Old 09-16-11, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As if the Emmy Awards, or any of the other major entertainment award shows, aren't populist. The only real difference between ratings winners and award winners is that awards winners go through a political process.

I don't know who's is worse: entitled viewers of popular shows complaining about their shows not getting critical recognition or the condescending 'high-brow' fans who mock them. I'll just read a book and say you're all morons.

The only real value I see in the Emmys is when a good show that doesn't perform well in the ratings is given a bit more leeway by the network because it wins awards. I'm sure fans of The Good Wife appreciate that.
Old 09-16-11, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by the big train
The only real value I see in the Emmys is when a good show that doesn't perform well in the ratings is given a bit more leeway by the network because it wins awards. I'm sure fans of The Good Wife appreciate that.
The Good Wife gets great ratings. IIRC, last season it got between 11-12M viewers a week and around 2.5 in the demos. The Emmy nominations for it were icing on the cake.
Old 09-16-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jon Cryer and Charlie Sheen have at least 4 nominations each, and Cryer won once.

That show gets huge ratings and it's idiotic. No elitism there.
Old 09-16-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

The Emmys are a joke. Judges vote on the basis of viewing one episode of a series.
Old 09-16-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen, TV's Armond White
Old 09-16-11, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

My problem with the emmy's is that the hollywood elite's award the same shows year after year. I know the shows that I love such as Friday Night Lights and Justified probably won't win a thing even if critics and fans alike enjoy it. Mad Men will win everything again.
Old 09-17-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Emmys often get it more right than the Oscars. Mad Men deserves to win everything. So does Modern Family, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones.

It's a great time for television.