Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ringer -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/13/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Ringer -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/13/11

The pilot was so-so, but I think we all need to keep in mind this was originally supposed to air on CBS...not sure how many episodes (maybe it was just the pilot) were filmed before it was determined this would air on The CW, but I'm expecting at some point, we'll see a change in tone...in other words, more sex and SMG in sexier clothes (some of the outfits they put her in in the pilot were downright frumpy).
Old 09-15-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The pilot was so-so, but I think we all need to keep in mind this was originally supposed to air on CBS...not sure how many episodes (maybe it was just the pilot) were filmed before it was determined this would air on The CW, but I'm expecting at some point, we'll see a change in tone...in other words, more sex and SMG in sexier clothes (some of the outfits they put her in in the pilot were downright frumpy).
It was just the Pilot that was shot for CBS. Episode 2 onwards was made for The CW. I think they may have added some more Pop music in the episode soundtrack too to make it CW friendly. Also, the Pilot was produced by 3 studios: CBS, ABC Studios and Warner Bros. ABC dropped out because of the budget cuts for The CW.
Old 09-15-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Yeah, the boat scene was pretty bad and the dialogue a bit clunky but this could turn out to be pretty good.
SMG was great in both roles.

I agree with on the dialogue. But I think this can turn out to be good. A lot of pilots are sometimes bad in acting and production quality due to a limited budget. I thought SMG was great in both roles too. As Bridget she played the conflicted and tormented person very well and she was great at playing deceptive Siobhan.
Old 09-16-11, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoboDad
The difference being that "Shauvon" is basically a made-up name that some woman probably thought sounded nice, where Siobhan is an old Irish (well, Scotch-Irish, really) name that has been around for a thousand years or more, and comes from the Gaelic version of Joan.
Thanks for that, interesting lesson.
Old 09-16-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually thought the pilot was pretty good and that boat scene hilarious. I still laugh thinking about it. What made that scene even more ridiculous was the music used - so damn cheesy.

I actually thought SMG and the other actors were pronouncing it Shabon as well until I read it was pronounced with a V. To me, it just isn't a 'tv name'.
Old 09-16-11, 09:24 PM

Solid pilot, and was good enough to have me check back next week. Has some promise.
Old 09-16-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't anyone else think the whole sister committing suicide thing is poorly set up in this show? She just sees her sister for the first time in years and they immediately go for a boat ride (which is an odd thing to do after years apart and on the run) and the rich sister jumps into the drink after a few hours together? Certainly, she's smart enough to suspect things are a bit off with the suicide? If not, then she deserves to get what's coming.
Old 09-16-11, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Doesn't anyone else think the whole sister committing suicide thing is poorly set up in this show? She just sees her sister for the first time in years and they immediately go for a boat ride (which is an odd thing to do after years apart and on the run) and the rich sister jumps into the drink after a few hours together? Certainly, she's smart enough to suspect things are a bit off with the suicide? If not, then she deserves to get what's coming.
I think that's a Scotch-Irish tradition, or at least a Rum-Coke one.
Old 09-17-11, 12:03 AM

Pretty good pilot. I look forward to the episodes made for the CW. I suspect we shall see much more of Mr. Fantastic's daughter and the dudes she fucks, the school she goes to and the 4 episode arc in season 3 when she goes lesbo.

Also, it was good to see the dude from Life, Unexpected even though his character could have been replaced by a cardboard cut-out.
Old 09-17-11, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Pretty good, will keep watching. SMG looks real good.
Old 09-17-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Intrigued enough to watch another episode
Old 09-18-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Ignore the positive reviews. Most here are in it for SMG, and SMG alone. The whole setup was silly and pretentious, something that might be okay for a 2-hour movie but is not solid enough for a season-long drama. None of the characters are likable for a minute. I give the show a month before it's on life support.
Old 09-18-11, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it is going to be a full on soap they need to make it trashier like Dynasty.

They actually made fun of the bad CGI boat scene on the Soup this week.
Old 09-18-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I enjoyed it. All the twists were already revealed to us through the advertising for the pilot, but I thought it worked pretty well. Boat scene was ludicrously bad. Not sure what people are talking about in regards to Siobhans husband being named Xander. Could have sworn they said his name was Andrew. I'll stick with the show for now. As someone else already said, Tuesdays are light right now.
Old 09-18-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

A simple look up on IMDB shows his name to be...

Spoiler:
Andrew
Old 09-19-11, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Ignore the positive reviews. Most here are in it for SMG, and SMG alone. The whole setup was silly and pretentious, something that might be okay for a 2-hour movie but is not solid enough for a season-long drama. None of the characters are likable for a minute. I give the show a month before it's on life support.
I'm in for SMG alone even though I'm not a SMG fan. I wanted to see what she'd do after Buffy because I've never considered her much of an actress. Based on what I saw, I still don't. Her inability to show much range worked in Buffy, though, because she had the weight of the world on her shoulders.
Old 09-19-11, 08:18 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Intrigued enough to watch another episode
That's how I felt as well. I didn't see many of the trailers, so I wasn't expecting the twist at the end. Agree that so far, the sponser is about the only likable character on the show. They need to change that fast, IMO.
Old 09-19-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MikahC
I'm in for SMG alone even though I'm not a SMG fan.
Agreed. I think her best role was in Cruel Intentions and while I don't think she is Meryl Streep she's a decent actress (see Cruel Intentions). She isn't even the tenth best thing about Buffy.

What or who else in this show would anyone be watching because of except SMG? Eyeliner guy?
Old 09-19-11, 02:17 PM

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading this thread. I'm stunned by the number of people who thought that this was pretty good or even okay. This was the worst thing I've seen in a long, long time (and not just the hilariously awful boat scene). I'm an enormous Buffy fan, but it's become clear to me that she's just not a good actress at all.
Old 09-20-11, 04:26 AM

I am intrigued by the plot possibilities, but some of the careless mistakes drove me nuts. Like when the twin sisters hug at the bus stop, the "double" was like two inches shorter than her sister. And the scene where she goes to make sure the gun is still in the drawer, there's a big clunky bracelet on her right arm when she's putting the gun in the handbag and then in the next scene the bracelet is gone. And I *NEVER* notice stuff like this, so it must be pretty blatant.

Question: what was the red thing that Andrew found in his daughter's stuff? I didn't understand that.
Old 09-20-11, 08:40 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by barbybrant
I am intrigued by the plot possibilities, but some of the careless mistakes drove me nuts. Like when the twin sisters hug at the bus stop, the "double" was like two inches shorter than her sister. And the scene where she goes to make sure the gun is still in the drawer, there's a big clunky bracelet on her right arm when she's putting the gun in the handbag and then in the next scene the bracelet is gone. And I *NEVER* notice stuff like this, so it must be pretty blatant.

Question: what was the red thing that Andrew found in his daughter's stuff? I didn't understand that.
I noticed the height thing, but if you watch the next scene, Bridget looked like she was wearing flat shoes and Siobhan was wearing heels. I'm pretty sure the creators would at least get a stunt double that was the same size as SMG.

I did not notice the bracelet thing.
Old 09-20-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Knew nothing of the spoilers beforehand and pretty much enjoyed it, I'll watch again.
Old 09-20-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I noticed the height thing, but if you watch the next scene, Bridget looked like she was wearing flat shoes and Siobhan was wearing heels. I'm pretty sure the creators would at least get a stunt double that was the same size as SMG.
Cool, I was wondering about that
Old 10-05-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by barbybrant
Sorry for the bump, but just watched this. Looked like drugs to me...