Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- Season 4 Premiere -- "Box Cutter" -- 7/17/11

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- Season 4 Premiere -- "Box Cutter" -- 7/17/11

They showed Mike call Gus but we didn't hear the conversation.
Old 07-20-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great season opener, and I buy that Gus would kill Whatshisface to both make a undeniable point and rid himself of a liability, but what I have a hard time buying is that he wouldn't do the same thing to Jesse. I understand why the show wouldn't go in that direction, so I'm willing to go along, but it's also a bit of a cop-out. If whatshisface is a liability, Jesse is a major liability with his drug problems and stupid mistakes. And Walt is who he needs, not Jesse. Jesse is nothing but a disaster waiting to happen.

I know the script tried to dismiss that with Walt saying "You don't have Jesse, you don't have me," but I just can't see how that would truly hold any weight with Gus. Slice Jesse's throat right in front of Walt and tell him his wife and kid are next if he has any problem with it, you think Walt stands on honor? That's exactly what Gus would be thinking. No way he lets Jesse live.

But it is what it is, so we'll see where they go with it, but it vis a bit of a dip in an otherwise excellent season opener in my mind.
Old 07-20-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its implied that Mike told him.
Old 07-21-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe Gus would rather have Walt scheming with Jesse (who will invariably screw something up ... bitch) than have Walt working alone?
Old 07-21-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boot
I know the script tried to dismiss that with Walt saying "You don't have Jesse, you don't have me," but I just can't see how that would truly hold any weight with Gus. Slice Jesse's throat right in front of Walt and tell him his wife and kid are next if he has any problem with it, you think Walt stands on honor? That's exactly what Gus would be thinking. No way he lets Jesse live.

But it is what it is, so we'll see where they go with it, but it vis a bit of a dip in an otherwise excellent season opener in my mind.

If I were in Walts shoes and Gus kills Jesse in front of me and threatens my family I would tell Gus whatever he wanted to hear and then find him and kill him. If you go too far and push someone in a corner like you suggest it all blows up.
Old 07-21-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Walter already showed big balls doing this. So Gus has to be careful. Gus knows that he's in charge, if he's really careful he can kill both Walter and Jesse later. No need to risk everything now.
Old 07-21-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

That was awesome. The dramatic tension as a result of silence was perfection. Gus is an evil, evil man. That throat cut was brutal. Glad the best show on TV is back.
Old 07-21-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Barings
So is Jesse. The eye daggers that he throwing at Gus when he was slitting Victor's throat was amazing. Loved that he said absolutely nothing in the scene while Walt was rambling on to justify their existence, knowing that Gus had already made up his mind about what to do.
I thought Jesse was phenomenal and was the standout.... Gus was great, but you kind of expect that now. Jesse's character (both the scene in the lab and the scene at Denny's) was really kicked up a notch. It was great to see his character evolve a bit and starting to see the bigger picture. I'm hoping he starts to become more of a player instead of just being a sidekick.

While I liked the followup on Hank and the tension as he goes through his recovery, I hope that's not a huge focus as I think it will get tired if it is the same thing over and over until he gets better (I'm assuming he gets better?). While that would be realistic, it's just something I'd rather they not spend a huge amount of time on.
Old 07-22-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So why is Hank buying minerals?
Old 07-22-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
That was awesome. The dramatic tension as a result of silence was perfection. Gus is an evil, evil man. That throat cut was brutal. Glad the best show on TV is back.
From the second Gus walks in to the moment he leaves is about 10 minutes long, didn't seem that long at all. Just a really well executed sequence.
Old 07-22-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats just it I don't think Gus is an evil man. I think he is very normal, but cold and calculating what he did is the only means to an end that he knows. What he has it too good and doesn't want to lose it.

But when Walt gets a hold of him he'll looking like Buggin Out from Do the right thing.

Last edited by Larry C.; 07-22-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Slicing the throat of a guy isn't an act of an evil man?
Old 07-22-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slicing the throat of a guy isn't an act of an evil man?
Depends on the guy your slicing. Vic was a a no good "gansta" type punk who I'm going on the hunch as killed before.

I tend to reserve Evil for the killing of the innocent or defenseless.
Old 07-22-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

and Vic probably did all those bad things at the behest Gus.
Old 07-22-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and Vic probably did all those bad things at the behest Gus.
I don't know bud I don't write the show, but more than likely if your involved in that lifestyle your no saint. You've done things in the past. Vic was always aggresive and thought he was a badass.
Old 07-22-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Depends on the guy your slicing. Vic was a a no good "gansta" type punk who I'm going on the hunch as killed before.

I tend to reserve Evil for the killing of the innocent or defenseless.
Didn't Gus essentially condone the murder of a little kid (Jesse's girlfriend's little brother, wasn't it)?

He's not a good man. I suspect we're going to find he's even more monstrous than they've let on,.
Old 07-22-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The one thing that may take away from this season is Hank. Unless the show jumps ahead at least 6 months in timeline at some point this season, Hank looks like he'll be a non-factor due to his injuries.
I figured Hank would find out about Walt through his investigating, but I'm not sure how he can do much from a bed. We may have to wait till next season to see Hank get back into the mix.
Old 07-22-11, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
The one thing that may take away from this season is Hank. Unless the show jumps ahead at least 6 months in timeline at some point this season, Hank looks like he'll be a non-factor due to his injuries.
I figured Hank would find out about Walt through his investigating, but I'm not sure how he can do much from a bed. We may have to wait till next season to see Hank get back into the mix.

Maybe his ebay "rock" shopping is actually mineral/chemical research and he is still on the case?!? Hank will be reckoned with evetually.
Old 07-22-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Didn't Gus essentially condone the murder of a little kid (Jesse's girlfriend's little brother, wasn't it)?

He's not a good man. I suspect we're going to find he's even more monstrous than they've let on,.
Not a good man agreed. Monstrous maybe I hope the dive into Gus and his dark closet.
Old 07-22-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

If Hank has internet access and contact with Gomie then he will still be a big factor....and yeah I'm curious to see where the mineral thing goes.
Old 07-22-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, it seemed weird that they would focus on the mineral thing unless somehow it played into hank's investigation into Heisenberg.
Old 07-22-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

or he's just really fucking bored. But it probably does play in.
Old 07-22-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Great episode. Intense, as usual.

I have that exact same Kenny Rogers shirt that Walt wore. Got it for $5 (maybe it was even less) at this junky discount store called Ollie's.
I have the same shirt too... got mine a couple years back from Walmart
Old 07-22-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

It's unclear about the kid. In the season 3 finale he asks Heisenberg something along the lines of "are you asking me if I had the child killed" and he acted all offended and such. Either way, Gus is pretty evil, ha...
Old 07-22-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Larry C.
If I were in Walts shoes and Gus kills Jesse in front of me and threatens my family I would tell Gus whatever he wanted to hear and then find him and kill him. If you go too far and push someone in a corner like you suggest it all blows up.
Good point and I agree that could be true. What about just killing Jesse, though? What does he bring to the table but high probability for fucking up and bringing everyone else down in the process? And what is he to Walt? Some kind of misplaced loyalty? How much would Walt really be willing to risk for him? Of course, this very well could be if not will be a plot point that comes up in future episodes. You know Jesse is going to fuck up again. He's just a fuck up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.