Old 07-11-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Closer -- Season Premiere -- "Unknown Trouble" -- 7/11/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-07-10

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The seventh and final season kicks off with Brenda investigating the shootings of a rap star and six bystanders. Meanwhile, Delk (Courtney B. Vance) gets set to announce seismic organizational changes; and a civil suit targets Brenda and the department.

FYI, this is a 21 episode final season.

10 will air this summer.

5 will air this winter.

6 will air in summer 2012......yeah they are really stretching this sucker.

Mary McDonnell is joining the final season as a series regular. After The Closer ends next summer, she will be the lead of the new spinoff "Major Crimes" which already got a 10 episode order.

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0htr7Q64OYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZeV574sVn5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-11-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Closer -- Season Premiere -- "Unknown Trouble" -- 7/11/11

Great Opening to this final season.
Old 07-12-11, 11:51 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I agree, very strong opening. Can't wait to see how the ending will affect the hierarchy. This episode did a good job of showing just how important Pope is to how Major Crimes functions.
Old 07-12-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Good episode and I certainly didn't see that ending coming. Interspersing the song and video throughout the episode was really effective. It will be interesting to see how the hierarchy shakes out.
Old 07-13-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Good episode and I certainly didn't see that ending coming. Interspersing the song and video throughout the episode was really effective. It will be interesting to see how the hierarchy shakes out.
Was that supposed to be a stroke or what?
Old 07-13-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I think so: the inability to form words makes a stroke the most likely candidate.
Spoiler:
The preview for next week showed Brenda in her dress blues so I assume Chief Delk is not long for this world which is unfortunate since I like Vance even if his character was a bit of an ass
Old 07-14-11, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So,
Spoiler:
who becomes chief of police?
Old 07-17-11, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Just finished this episode. As already said, great opening episode to the final season. Although that C-Game rap song was annoying as hell.

The whole re-arrangement of the LAPD with Will getting demoted and Taylor taking his place was very interesting. And Delk suffering a stroke at the end was very unexpected.

Mary McDonnell is a great addition as a series regular. It's going to be interesting to see how her character develops as the final season moves on since she's scheduled to be the lead of The Closer spinoff next summer.
Old 07-18-11, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

Although that C-Game rap song was annoying as hell.
Mary McDonnell is a great addition as a series regular. It's going to be interesting to see how her character develops as the final season moves on since she's scheduled to be the lead of The Closer spinoff next summer.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one irritated by the over use of the song.

There's going to be a spinoff? This is news to me. How definite is this? McDonnell certainly has the acting chops to be a lead, but her character can be quite abrasive. I must admit they have made the character more sympathetic since her initial introduction on the show years back.
Old 07-18-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Is Major Crimes really going to start after the final 6 air next summer? Paired with those, 10 episodes is more than enough to fill their summer schedule and would certainly be a nice way to "transition" their existing audience to the "spin off" for sure.

Originally Posted by jack999
So,
Spoiler:
who becomes chief of police?
I don't see the need for a spoiler. Delk was appointed, not elected. So the mayor can simply make another selection - most likely his second choice. We'll just have to wait and see who that was. It would not surprise me if it turned out to be Pope since I don't see any reason they'd get rid of J.K. Simmons - consigning him to Farmer's Insurance commercials. That sort of yo-yo for his career would be fun now that he's been "humbled" a little.
Old 07-18-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jack999
I'm glad I wasn't the only one irritated by the over use of the song.

There's going to be a spinoff? This is news to me. How definite is this? McDonnell certainly has the acting chops to be a lead, but her character can be quite abrasive. I must admit they have made the character more sympathetic since her initial introduction on the show years back.
Yes, TNT greenlit a spinoff called "Major Crimes" with McDonnell returning as Captain Raydor. It's tentatively supposed to replace The Closer after it wraps for good next summer.
Old 07-19-11, 10:35 AM

Yes, TNT greenlit a spinoff called "Major Crimes" with McDonnell returning as Captain Raydor. It's tentatively supposed to replace The Closer after it wraps for good next summer.
Any news on other cast members It sounds like she's going to head up Brenda's division. One could logically claim that it would make sense to keep the current staff. Of course this is TV which doesn't always adhere to the real world.

I like the ensemble cast that has been assembled, but I wonder if I want to watch what is essentially the Closer with a new star? Maybe they do need to recast every part.

I would miss Provenza.