Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

In Plain Sight -- "Kumar vs. Kumar" -- 6/26/2001

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Plain Sight -- "Kumar vs. Kumar" -- 6/26/2001

I didn't see a thread for this ep, so I'm making one belatedly.

I was pretty disappointed with this episode.

First, a minor nitpick: What's up with all the Nichole Hiltz's phones scenes. I know they addressed it this week with Mary avoiding Brandi finding out she's preggo, but if it was only for story purposes you would think they would have had a scene together when she broke the news in this ep. I'm not a huge Brandi fan, but these phone scenes are almost as annoying as Thiessen's on White Collar.

(PS. I did a little googling and found that Hiltz was arrested last month for child neglect and her kid taken into CPS because she called 911 completely wasted. Maybe they were giving her a light shooting schedule because she had a newborn to take care of, but that doesn't seem to be an issue any more. (just kidding) )

Anyway, as for this ep. I felt completely lost for most of the episode. The husband was an ass, but the wife didn't seem to care about that. She didn't even particularly want to be "liberated". She defended it being an arranged marriage. She didn't feel unappreciated as a wife/mother. In the end I guess she just wanted him to be interested in her as a person or something. And let's not even talk about the drug abuse, which was played more as a plot point than a dramatic issue. Then there was the wife as witness angle. That made little sense, even as they strained to make it a reason why WITSEC should care about these their marriage. The court scene was bad as it was, but I'm trying to figure out how the defense was planning for it to go: The wife calls her husband an inattentive asshole, and that makes him worthless as a witness. Huh?

The episode had a lot in common with the Amish episode from a couple of weeks ago, but that was done much better. I think that was in large part because the actress in that episode was very good. I can't put the fault for this episode on the actress playing the wife, but she didn't bring much to the table either.

Last edited by wmansir; 06-30-11 at 03:20 AM.