Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Good lord, I really like this Nefarious person.

The Tier 2 list is fucking hilarious. Breaking Bad mixed in with most of that shit.

And dolphinboy, people like Breaking Bad because it's GRIPPING.

This was a stupid thread to begin with. If I buy a TV series (having never seen it) I should just start a thread bitching that I bought something sight unseen??

UMMM. NO. REALLY DUMB.
Old 06-21-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by northmoor
Interesting to read the comments on the tiers. I guess Friday Night Lights didn't rate for many? I'd certainly have that in the top tier, as well as The West Wing, and others. I guess I'll need to watch Treme, as some are placing it in some outstanding company.
You're only looking at one guy's opinion. Only one person put Treme next to and above all those other shows. I think you'll find that most people would disagree.
Old 06-21-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Good lord, I really like this Nefarious person.

The Tier 2 list is fucking hilarious. Breaking Bad mixed in with most of that shit.

And dolphinboy, people like Breaking Bad because it's GRIPPING.

This was a stupid thread to begin with. If I buy a TV series (having never seen it) I should just start a thread bitching that I bought something sight unseen??

UMMM. NO. REALLY DUMB.
I wasn't going to take your comments seriously until I saw you typed parts of it in all caps.

Originally Posted by dino88
You're only looking at one guy's opinion. Only one person put Treme next to and above all those other shows. I think you'll find that most people would disagree.
It is just my opinion. I wouldn't encourage anyone to watch Treme unless they like The Wire. It's not for everyone. So if one requires highly sensationalized drama that requires constant temporary suspension of disbelief, then no, it wouldn't be a show for him or her.
Old 06-21-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Breaking Bad is hands down just pure awesome. I'm 37 now and I used to watch any and every show. I have noticed in that last year, year and a half I'm really starting to not like much anymore. More selective. But the anticipation I feel for Breaking Bad is unlike any show I've watched. Is it for everyone? Maybe not, but just when you think you've figured out how far this they show will go, it goes 3 steps further.
Old 06-21-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
It is just my opinion. I wouldn't encourage anyone to watch Treme unless they like The Wire. It's not for everyone. So if one requires highly sensationalized drama that requires constant temporary suspension of disbelief, then no, it wouldn't be a show for him or her.
You're insulting The Wire by putting them on the same level. Outside of the excellent season one finale, Treme's first season was an absolute mess. The second season has been much better, but it is nowhere close to any of the shows you mentioned.
Old 06-21-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only watched the first season so far, but I've been hooked since the pilot. Different strokes...
Old 06-21-11, 10:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xVladx
Disclaimer: Breaking Bad is currently my favorite show currently airing, and if it keeps up at its current pace, will be replacing The Shield as my favorite show of all time.

With that said, I don't know what to say...

If you didn't like it after the first three episodes, I really don't know if you're going to.

Personally, I was hooked after the end of the second episode. I'm really surprised that you wouldn't be interested after what happens at the end of episode three.

Here's the thing, season one has a kind of parabolic intensity curve. The first three episodes are VERY eventful. Lots of stuff happens in the first the first episode, and the next two are spent cleaning up after the fallout from the Pilot.

The next two episodes slow things WAY down (and that's where I was expecting you to have lost interest when I saw the thread topic), but in a good way. They allow the characters to react to the events so far without new stuff being dumped in their lap. After that, the last two episodes really ramp back up to the intensity of the first three.

What baffles me is that you said you were bored watching the first three episodes? How?

I just started watching the series this month like the OP. I thought the pilot was fantastic. Mr. White out in the desert with his underwear and a gas mask just spoke volumes about this world that he had no business entering.

With any successful tv show, characters trump plot. I quickly became invested in the character of Mr. White and his emotional journey dealing with the cancer.

Then I get to the part where he assembles the plate and finds the missing piece and almost starts crying. Brilliant writing. Definitely not one dimensional characters here.
Old 06-21-11, 10:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Compared to The Wire it is clearly a Tier 2. Any show, supposedly grounded in reality, that relies that heavily on temporary suspension of disbelief cannot expect to be Tier 1.
No fucking way The Shield is tier 2. You could claim that the plot itself was too unrealistic, but the main characters deal with real life consequences and moral conflicts. The writing is so incredible that you totally forget that you are rooting for the bad guys especially in season 5.
Old 06-21-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Well jeez, when you say it that way...
Old 06-21-11, 12:55 PM

dolphinboy: If you got the blu-rays and really don't like it, I'll buy them off you. Breaking Bad rocks!
Old 06-21-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Just watched the 3rd Season Finale again, it's amazing how different it is from every other episode of the series. From start to finish, curious if that'll carry into 4.
Old 06-21-11, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
No fucking way The Shield is tier 2. You could claim that the plot itself was too unrealistic, but the main characters deal with real life consequences and moral conflicts. The writing is so incredible that you totally forget that you are rooting for the bad guys especially in season 5.
Yeah the Shield is definitely Tier 1 for me. There are only 5 shows that I would say are in that category for me: The Wire, The Sopranos, The Shield, Six Feet Under, and Breaking Bad. Curb Your Enthusiasm, Mad Men, Deadwood would be in that next tier for me. Boardwalk Empire , Game of Thrones could get there but it is wayyyy too early for both shows.
Old 06-21-11, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dino88
You're insulting The Wire by putting them on the same level. Outside of the excellent season one finale, Treme's first season was an absolute mess. The second season has been much better, but it is nowhere close to any of the shows you mentioned.
You're right. I like Treme but it is not on the level of The Wire. I think even if this season and following seasons turn out to be really good it still won't be better than The Wire.
Old 06-21-11, 09:49 PM

Ok, looks like I gotta say something...

I just started the Blu for S3 and holy shit has the first 5 eps been boring as hell. I loved the show since ep 1 and this season has really started as a let down. All the focus on the whore wife that could have been put into 2 episodes. It hasnt started rolling. Im pretty damn dissapointed in this season so far and its kinda cooled me on S4 starting
Old 06-21-11, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ravenous

I just started the Blu for S3 and holy shit has the first 5 eps been boring as hell. I loved the show since ep 1 and this season has really started as a let down. All the focus on the whore wife that could have been put into 2 episodes. It hasnt started rolling. Im pretty damn dissapointed in this season so far and its kinda cooled me on S4 starting
All the focus Did you fall asleep during those first 5 episodes. There was a whole host of things going on:

Spoiler:
Jesse getting out of rehab and cooking and selling his own meth after Walt tells him his product is inferior.
Walt gets half of the money from Jesse's deal to sell meth for Gus
Because of that, Jesse and Walt breaking up their partnership again
Walt not wanting to accept Gus' offer and then accepting with his own lab
THE TWINS
Mike observing the twins going into Walt's house to kill him and then contacts Gus who calls off the attempted kill.
Hank getting promoted to El Paso again and then wanting to stay to investigate the linking between the blue meth and the RV.
Gus being pressured to allow the Twins to carry out their hit on Walt.
Jesse secretly buys his parents house with help from Sal.
Hank taking on those two guys at the bar, and his panic attacks.

IF you were bored by those first 5 episodes I don't know what else to tell you except PAY ATTENTION.
Old 06-22-11, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous

This is even more baffling than the OP.
To each their own indeed.
Old 06-22-11, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I thought the first few eps of season 3 were a little slow as well, though imo episode 5 was pretty badass, sure it was completely focused on the RV but it was phenomenally tense near the end. Then save for the horrible Fly the rest of the season was great.
Old 06-22-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the show, been watching on DVD and now season 3 via AMC Sunday night re-runs. I agree(I have watched through "The Fly" that season 3 isn't as good as the first two IMO. Although there are some amazing episodes mixed in.
Old 06-22-11, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde
This is even more baffling than the OP.
To each their own indeed.
I think that some people are expecting the show to just "take off" at some point and end up being non-stop action/criminal activity or something. While the episodes were originally airing, I remember various forum threads around where people were complaining about the downtime after the first three episodes in both S1 AND S2, as well as the first stretch of episodes in S3.

That's just the kind of pacing the show has, and I guess it's just not for everybody. Personally, I love that we get the time to step back every so often and watch everybody scramble around and react to all the stuff that just happened.
Old 06-23-11, 12:49 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Season 3 really takes off from eps 7-13. The Fly is kinda one note with just the two of them, but the others are really mind-blowing.
Old 06-23-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched the one after the Fly, really good...can't wait for the last two!
Old 06-23-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone who cares about watching quality tv shows, should watch breaking bad......if they haven't so already.
Old 06-23-11, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy

IF you were bored by those first 5 episodes I don't know what else to tell you except PAY ATTENTION.
How the fuck does my assessment show Im not paying attention? I payed attention, and yea all that was great, but it could have been put into half the episodes. THATS my point. Fly is the perfect example. It was good but that close to the end of the season? It was meaningless, it like they didnt have much story to tell so they dragged it all out

I actually didnt like the twin brothers, kinda stupid infact. THough seeing him crawl on his nubs made me Yea ep 5 about the RV was great but after 6 it really kicked in, I finished the season last night and goddamn that cliffhanger. But when Gus and Walt confront each other at the beginning Gus has a really thick accent, wtf was that
Old 12-20-11, 08:06 PM

Well I have just signed up to this forum because I have spent the last few hours trying to find some people who share my views on Breaking Bad and it looks like I found some!

I agree completely with the OP. I have just finished watching episode 6 and am considering just throwing in the towel. The final straw for me was the introduction of the character of Tuco. What the hell? So much of that character doesn't make any sense.

1. He lets complete strangers walk straight into his compound carrying huge bags of meth?
2. He is a complete psycho yet he manages to dominate the drug trade and not get caught.
3. He beats up Jesse, but when Walt comes in and asks for more money and then blows up his compound he gives him the cash?
4. He doesnt kill Walt for blowing up his compound?

Compare Marlo Stanfield, Proposition Joe, or any other drug dealer type from the Wire with Tuco. Breaking Bad is not a good show. Over acted and badly directed.

Also, can someone explain to me why Walt's son has CP? Do they try and turn that in a plot line at all? I don't understand that casting decision at all.
Old 12-20-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Dragon Tattoo, Dragon Tattoo, Dragon Tattoo!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.