Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Killing -- "Undertow" -- 5/22/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Killing -- "Undertow" -- 5/22/11

Loved the scene with the dad and the random girl.
Me too. But, really? Even if they live in the Seattle suburbs, would you allow a girl to go alone in a bike? What if she has an accident?
Old 05-24-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
Linden, a seasoned detective not only lets her kid play with her work computer, but she also promised Mitch that the case was about to be closed.
I had issues with both of these things. Big time rookie mistakes.
As soon as she told Mitch "It'll be over tonight", I let out a sigh. This woman's daughter is murdered... she easily sees the photographs of the crimescene while at the police station and then those images get leaked to the media. After that, you figure Linden wouldn't commit to anything and get Mitch's hopes up. It's almost as if she's purposely torturing her.
Old 05-24-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Me too. But, really? Even if they live in the Seattle suburbs, would you allow a girl to go alone in a bike? What if she has an accident?
Sure, why not? When I was that age I used to go bike riding all the time, so did my sister, and now my little 10 year old sister goes out bike riding around the neighborhood too.
Old 05-24-11, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raul3
She had a helmet and training wheels which seemed like overkill. But, when I grew up I used to ride my bike into other towns when I was 10-11 years old. I don't think I ever wore a helmet either.
Old 05-24-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but a local girl was just murdered and the killer hasn't been caught yet. I think I'd be keeping a closer eye on my kids than normal under those circumstances.
Old 05-26-11, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
Anyone know the name of the song that was playing when Richmond was drinking at the bar? I must suck at internet searches, because i cannot seem to find it.
Sounded like Antony and The Johnsons.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-26-11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/amc-re...eason-mystery/

Apparently they are still awaiting word on a 2nd season.

Mireille Enos says that Veena Sud, The Killing's Showrunner, has multiple seasons planned. Didn't say if it revolved around Rosie.
Old 05-26-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/amc-re...eason-mystery/

Apparently they are still awaiting word on a 2nd season.

Mireille Enos says that Veena Sud, The Killing's Showrunner, has multiple seasons planned. Didn't say if it revolved around Rosie.
If they drag this mystery out into a second season I'll be done with the show as it's already excruciatingly slow. Another season's worth of red herrings? No thanks. My hope is that the mystery gets wrapped in the finale, and then a new season-long case is introduced in next season's premiere. (That formula worked for The Wire, to great effect.)
Old 05-26-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I think AMC is having the same viewer fatigue the viewers are probably feeling. I don't think they'd allow this show to drag Rosie into season 2. But who knows. They could definitely have something here if they do it right, they need to tread carefully.
Old 05-26-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think AMC is having the same viewer fatigue the viewers are probably feeling. I don't think they'd allow this show to drag Rosie into season 2. But who knows. They could definitely have something here if they do it right, they need to tread carefully.
I don't understand that. It's the same way ABC killed Twin Peaks. David Lynch never wanted to show who killed Laura Palmer, but ABC forced him to end the mystery. However, ABC let LOST go on for 6 seasons?!?!
Old 05-26-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's always interesting to see how other people react to shows. For me, "The Killing" isn't slow paced at all. In fact, I like being along for the ride, seeing where each new piece of evidence will lead Holder and Linden. I'm not going to complain about where the show may or may not lead us, because we have more episodes to come.

Comparatively, I think "The Wire" is slow as hell. I'm watching it on DVD now and am in the third season. I can appreciate a lot about it in terms of local government, politics, etc, but I don't find it engaging or immersive at all. I think, in many ways, it's a chore to sit through.
Old 05-26-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Comparatively, I think "The Wire" is slow as hell. I'm watching it on DVD now and am in the third season. I can appreciate a lot about it in terms of local government, politics, etc, but I don't find it engaging or immersive at all. I think, in many ways, it's a chore to sit through.
Took me three seasons to get into The Wire. Season 2 was a major drag. Picked up considerably thereafter and ended up being my favorite show of all time.

Can't see The Killing reaching those heights, however, so unless the writing takes a turn for the better and the characters become more relate-able and appealing, I'll have to think about whether I want to invest in a second season.
Old 05-26-11, 11:30 PM
Banned

Who sticks with a show that is a chore to sit through for three seasons?

A masochist.
Old 05-26-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
My guess is that Belko was punching the rock in order to scuff up his hand so that he could turn himself in for the beating. I don't know why he'd do that, but that was my first thought when seeing him do it. At this point in the series, it seems like a conceivable plotline, right?
My guess:
Spoiler:
Belko killed Rosie, and was punishing himself for allowing an innocent man to get beaten for it. I got a weird vibe from him in the moving van while talking to Rosie's dad.
Old 05-26-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly.

I'm sorry but the senator stuff seems to be going nowhere, Richmond doesn't want to play dirty, then he wants to play dirty, and now back to him not wanting to play dirty, etc. Not really interesting. I do like the father storyline, I think he's a good actor and I like the main storyline but overall it's pretty meh.

Oh and The Wire is the greatest show ever made.
Old 05-27-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I don't understand that. It's the same way ABC killed Twin Peaks. David Lynch never wanted to show who killed Laura Palmer, but ABC forced him to end the mystery. However, ABC let LOST go on for 6 seasons?!?!
Every season of Lost was more-or-less a self contained storyline that had the overarching "What is this place?". You can't do the same with a murder mystery unless you do it like Monk and go off your other strengths and ignore it until the series finale. Plus the first season of Lost never felt like it was simply spinning its wheels (at least not on DVD).

I like the 13 episode/storyline setup the best, a la Damages where you carry over details and characters but the main story is completely different. Of course, Damages peaked in its first season (hope S4 is good).
Old 05-27-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If they stick to the original, this case will be resolved by the end of this season and any future seasons would revolve around new cases.
Old 05-27-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no way they'd drag the Rosie business into Season 2. The show would be dead in the water...
Old 05-27-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Who sticks with a show that is a chore to sit through for three seasons?

A masochist.
I find it to be a chore for the same reasons some here are bothered by The Killing--the slow pacing.

Doesn't mean it's devoid of story aspects that interest me.
Old 05-27-11, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
I'm not sure, but it sounded like Nina Simone to me.
"Nina Simone - If I should lose you", exactly.

watch?v=UUCW6n3wyTw&wl_token=ob5EerPiwjPPu3Q0e051WBVoy4J8MTMwNjUzMDYxM0AxMzA2NDQ0MjEz&wl_id=UUCW6n3wyTw
Na zdrowie .
Old 06-17-11, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous
The punching the rock thing was so stupid, but I laughed.
Catching up now. That scene (maybe it plays a bigger role later) was just so stupid and made no sense. The only thing I could think of is of course he's going to cut his hand punching the rock and his DNA will be all over the place. Hopefully that scene did pay off because it was pretty comical.