Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chuck -- Season Finale -- "Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger" -- 5/16/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Chuck -- Season Finale -- "Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger" -- 5/16/11

Had a great time with this episode. With all these finales that they never know what's going to happen, they did a nice job. Had this actually been the series end, it would have been a tolerable end without being too happily ever after. Maybe they'll get an extension again next year? Would be nice to get a full season. With the reboot, it may bring back some people who had grown tired of it but it will take time for the word to travel. Of course a Friday night time slot won't be much better than Monday vs. DWTS or House. I'll be grabbing S4 upon release and doing another Chuck marathon
Old 05-17-11, 04:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I love how sweet this show is at its core... love the reboot, more Morgan is always a good thing... although would like to see Chuck get his ability back as well. Also eagerly awaiting the scene where Morgan kicks Casey's ass.
Old 05-17-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
although would like to see Chuck get his ability back as well.
If this doesn't happen, I wish this had been the series finale. I'm glad everyone else is so keen on Morgan getting intersect powers, but it doesn't work for me. That said, I'd go along with it if Chuck got them back as well.

Other than that, absolutely loved the episode. I just hope that Tim Dalton will be back at least once more next season.
Old 05-17-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a fan of Morgan getting the Intersect either. I also don't really like how easy it seemed for them to give or remove the Intersect, especially with Agent X. It seemed like that arc should have been more climactic, but Volkoff was turned back to normal so quickly and easily that it was kind of a letdown for me.

The rest of the episode I enjoyed though.
Old 05-17-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally
If this doesn't happen, I wish this had been the series finale. I'm glad everyone else is so keen on Morgan getting intersect powers, but it doesn't work for me. That said, I'd go along with it if Chuck got them back as well.

Other than that, absolutely loved the episode. I just hope that Tim Dalton will be back at least once more next season.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not a fan of Morgan getting the Intersect either. I also don't really like how easy it seemed for them to give or remove the Intersect, especially with Agent X. It seemed like that arc should have been more climactic, but Volkoff was turned back to normal so quickly and easily that it was kind of a letdown for me.

Looking at it from the standpoint that it was possibly the series finale it makes sense. One of the problems with this show has always been the underlying possibility of cancellation which changed the story arcs timelines
Old 05-17-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you're talking about Morgan, I don't see how it being the series finale would make sense. If that were the case, i'd just prefer that the Intersect was just gone and that was it.
Old 05-17-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

^ Because if this was the end, it's a fun little twist to go out on.

As for the ease of planting/removing the intersect lately, it actually makes sense if you take Decker at his word that this has all been one massive game between government players. What exactly would have been the turning point for the CIA to master the Intersect in the past 2 years? Why was Decker so hell bent on disbanding Castle and firing Chuck? It's hardly the first time Chuck has gone against orders. One Steven Bartowski. Mark my words. He's alive and helping the CIA... possibly in return for getting Chuck and his family free of the government. Decker also gave a wry smile when Chuck mentioned the CIA killing Steven. He's alive.

Great finale, btw. Loved Morgan getting choked up during the ceremony. I liked how the agent X/Volkoff plot worked out in the end. I didn't buy into Vivian being a villain. It just didn't work, so this was good closure to that plot.
Old 05-17-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
A fun little twist sure, but I think that's different from saying it makes sense as far as the show goes. A show like this, i'd rather just see it end with normalcy.
Old 05-17-11, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for the ease of planting/removing the intersect lately, it actually makes sense if you take Decker at his word that this has all been one massive game between government players. What exactly would have been the turning point for the CIA to master the Intersect in the past 2 years? Why was Decker so hell bent on disbanding Castle and firing Chuck? It's hardly the first time Chuck has gone against orders. One Steven Bartowski. Mark my words. He's alive and helping the CIA... possibly in return for getting Chuck and his family free of the government. Decker also gave a wry smile when Chuck mentioned the CIA killing Steven. He's alive.

Great finale, btw. Loved Morgan getting choked up during the ceremony. I liked how the agent X/Volkoff plot worked out in the end. I didn't buy into Vivian being a villain. It just didn't work, so this was good closure to that plot.
Agree. We never saw Steven's body. We saw him left for dead...if Shaw can come back from a couple in the chest, so can Steven. Hope we get one more go around with Orion!

TK
Old 05-18-11, 04:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

so, what about the rumor that they were going to kill off a major player? looks like that never happened...
Old 05-18-11, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
so, what about the rumor that they were going to kill off a major player? looks like that never happened...
Volkoff? From a certain point of view
Old 05-18-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

LOVED the finale! This is what a finale should be like..not like the crap smallville finale. Loved the marriage vows too. Great reboot and twist. The ease of it was a bit offputting, but this is Chuck and within the Chuck universe it makes sense.

While I liked Morgan getting the intersect, I dont know if the actor can pull it off, he doesnt have the acting chops of Levi.

Hope Chuck goes beyond the next 13 episodes
Old 05-18-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

That's my only gripe about the cliffhanger. I think it works as a cute joke, but to have Morgan the intersect for any number of episodes could be draining.
Old 05-18-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

Earlier this season, when Chuck lost the Intersect, they showed he could be an effective agent without it. He just didn't really see it.

I'd like to see a useful, intersect-free Chuck as a sort of Mr. Phelps to the team.
Old 05-18-11, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't Chuck and Volkoff still have the intersects? I thought the agent said something about the glasses will suppress them?
Old 05-18-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Don't Chuck and Volkoff still have the intersects? I thought the agent said something about the glasses will suppress them?
yeah. I think he called it an inhibitor.
Old 05-18-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
I'd been wondering the same thing. I went back and watched this part. Decker referred to it as a "suppression device".

Now, whether that means the device removed the intersect or whether it just eliminated the intersect from the Chuck's conscious self as Orion's device did to Chuck earlier in the season...I don't know.

Decker did say he needed some CIA property back from Chuck before using the device, so???
Old 05-19-11, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I finally got to see this episode last night and was sort of let down. Chuck is once again w/out the intersect? They already did that and he was a dud of a special agent. Just 6 weeks later we're to believe that he's a fully capable spy? Part of me is glad it's coming back for 13 more episodes, I know the writers will do a great job... but I wouldn't have lost any sleep if they would have concluded the series this past Monday.

PS - I do like the idea that the team is freelance... but I hope we don't have to endure 13 weeks of a bumbling Chuck.
Old 05-19-11, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chuck was only bumbling because he was so obsessed with getting the intersect back. However, during his intersect-free adventures they showed hints of him being very capable at intelligence gathering without it. I was hoping they would have explored it further but then he got the intersect back and it was business as usual.
Old 05-19-11, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is exactly how you do a season finale (unlike the crap that was the series finale of smallville - worst than Lost anyone???). Back on track - hitting the reset button in this way was pure genius.

Can't wait.

Last edited by dan30oly; 05-19-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-19-11, 10:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
This is exactly how you do a season finale (unlock the crap that was the series finale of smallville - worst than Lost anyone???).
I havent watched Lost; but I'd venture that yes, the Smallville finale was worse than the Lost finale.
Old 05-23-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I burned through all the episodes on my DVR and was happy to be back in the world of Chuck. I still wasn't entirely convinced of the Vivian story line, but I'm glad with the way it was resolved.

I especially liked how they handled Volkov and tied him back to Chuck's dad. Funny that the mention of Steven Bartowski shadows anything to do with their mom. I thought it was a fitting send off - coupled with his gift to Mr and Mrs Bartowski - so I'd be very please if that was the last we saw of him.

That's my only gripe about the cliffhanger. I think it works as a cute joke, but to have Morgan the intersect for any number of episodes could be draining.
Originally Posted by fumanstan

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Looking at it from the standpoint that it was possibly the series finale it makes sense. One of the problems with this show has always been the underlying possibility of cancellation which changed the story arcs timelines
This was my biggest issue with the finale. Between the Grettas and the Season 2 flashbacks to Stanford, I thought we learned that you couldn't just Intersect anybody. I know they can turn around and say Morgan is special, but to me that story has always been reserved for Chuck. Given the limited number of episodes I'd be happy with the first mission as a way to deintersect Morgan, but unfortunately it sounds like he's going to be S1 Chuck while Chuck becomes S1 Casey/Sarah.

Last edited by Superman07; 05-23-11 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will they release S4 soon or will they wait closer to the beginning of S5 to release the DVD's?
Old 06-02-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to The Digital Bits: Chuck S4 on 9/6 DVD and Blu
Old 06-04-11, 10:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 - Blu-Ray and DVD Release of season 4

Friday, October 21st, 2011 - The date circulating as the date of the season 5 premiere.

Friday, February 2nd, 2012 - CHUCK Series Finale date circulating online