TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My X-files journey

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: My X-files journey

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I lamented the loss of Mulder, I think John Doggett was a great addition to the cast that many people dismiss too easily.

Originally Posted by darkblue
In season 4
Spoiler:
there was an episode about an inbreeding family (the Peacock family) - kind of a Hills Have Eyes nod.
Apparently the network received some complaints about it and it was pulled from any repeats. Only when the show was approaching the end did the network run it just one more time. Ah, memories.
That's actually one of my least favorite episodes of the show, although the music selection in the episode was great.
Old 04-14-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,032 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblue
In season 4
Spoiler:
there was an episode about an inbreeding family (the Peacock family) - kind of a Hills Have Eyes nod.
Apparently the network received some complaints about it and it was pulled from any repeats. Only when the show was approaching the end did the network run it just one more time. Ah, memories.
Thanks for the adding the spoiler tags. Probably not a big deal but mhg will be there soon at his rate. And for the record, I do consider that one of the more memorable episodes. I can't
Spoiler:
listen to Johnny Mathis
the same way now.

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
<3 X-Files. Got into it late during the original broadcast (Season 4), but caught up with it quickly on DVD. Pointless trivia note: X-Files was the first TV show to be released on DVD in "season" collections. Still remember opening up that package and seeing 6 discs folded out in front of me! LOL
Oh yeah. Those were the days of two Trek OS episodes per $20 disc. Of course The X-Files sets were like $149! Good times. People fault them for that now, but they were setting the pricing model because full seasons hadn't been released before.
Old 04-14-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Started Season 2 today:

1 "Little Green Men"** David Nutter Glen Morgan & James Wong September 16, 1994

Great opening, but Chris Carter not writing or Directing the season premiere and it's a mythology episode??? Very odd i figured he'd be heavily involved in the premiere episode. It was also a funny coincidence i watched this on the day Voyager 1 makes the news:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...518,full.story

2."The Host"* Daniel Sackheim Chris Carter September 23, 1994

First M.O.T.W. episode. Very fucked up creature. You can definitely tell the effects are getting better. at Mulder telling Scully; "Look Scully, it has no genitals!"
Old 04-14-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"The Host" has always been one of my favorite episodes. I've got a Flukeman action figure hanging around my place somewhere.
Old 04-14-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

"The Host" has always been one of my favorite episodes. I've got a Flukeman action figure hanging around my place somewhere.
Awesome. I still have a Mulder & Scully that adorn my DVD shelf, but Flukeman would be awesome.
Old 04-15-11, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flukeman!

Reading this thread makes me want to revisit X-Files.

Dude, if Flukeman is in my house, I want to know exactly where he is. Be very afraid.
Old 04-15-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the Flukeman.

Me and the wife still debate which X-files season was our favorite, Season 2 or Season 3.
Old 04-15-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know this thread inspired my to watch X-Files for the first time ever. I watch episode #1 last night and it didn't do much for me. I'm gonna give it a couple more tries.
Old 04-15-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
You know this thread inspired my to watch X-Files for the first time ever. I watch episode #1 last night and it didn't do much for me. I'm gonna give it a couple more tries.
Stick with it. The first season is very good, but once it gets into S2/3 the series really hits its stride.
Old 04-15-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
X-files takes about 4-5 episodes to really get clicking..at least you have the knowledge that it really amps up and will be a awesome ride for the next 5-6 seasons.
Old 04-15-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3 "Blood" David Nutter Teleplay by: Glen Morgan & James Wong
Story by: Darin Morgan September 30, 1994

"kill em! Kill em all!"

Great to see the Lone Gunmen return and Mulders line 'You give perversion a bad name"

4 "Sleepless"* Rob Bowman Howard Gordon October 7, 1994

I wonder what they're going to do with Scully? 'Scully is a bigger problem then we anticipated' and i see that Mulder's rookie agent is serving a bigger purpose.

5 "Duane Barry"** Chris Carter Chris Carter October 14, 1994

Awesome episode. Loved the scenes with Mulder being held hostage, Scully at the checkout counter scanning the implants and the cliffhanger ending.
Old 04-15-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They drill holes in my damn teeth!

After nearly 20 years you can just mention a character from X-files like Duane Barry and instantly recall them due to the stellar character actors they brought in to flesh out such unique characters.
Old 04-15-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

You're hitting the really good episodes now...enjoy!
Old 04-15-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved SLeepless and Duane Barry!
Old 04-16-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I'll stick with it!
Old 04-16-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6 "Ascension"** Michael Lange Paul Brown October 21, 1994

at Scully becoming impregnated by the aliens. I remember reading how they had incorporated her real-life pregnancy into the show but never knew how they were going to do it. I'm guessing this is gonna be a season long ark? The show just gets better and better.
Old 04-16-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

7."3" David Nutter Chris Ruppenthal & Glen Morgan & James Wong November 4, 1994

Mulder the vampire slayer going deep deep undercover!

8 "One Breath"** R.W. Goodwin Glen Morgan & James Wong November 11, 1994

Scully returns but is Comatose in the Hospital. Deepthroat 2.0 is a bad ass and some more background on Cancer man. Was hoping they'd reveal who he works for but is still a mystery.

10 "Red Museum"** Win Phelps Chris Carter December 9, 1994

Good M.O.T.W. episode that turns out to be a mythology ep. Was that Nina Myers from 24 playing the woman speaker cult at the beginning?

11 "Excelsis Dei" Steven Surjik Paul Brown December 16, 1994

I like how this episode and some past ones have shown Mulder to be a skeptic at a case. Good ep.
Old 04-16-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,472 Likes on 936 Posts

"One Breath" is one of my favorite episodes. That rowboat is one of the best-done metaphors I've ever seen on television.

RE: John Doggett -- the character was great and the actor was giving it his all, but the program had run out of gas. Chris Carter and Co were out of ideas and were just thrashing around. Around season six or seven, I saw an interview with Carter saying that he was happy and was wrapping up the program. Only a few months later, he said in another interview that Fox had given him so much money that he couldn't say no, and that he thought there were some good plots left.

Mrs Danger had never seen the X-Files, so I was excited to share it with her. But I only bought seasons 1-6, because I didn't feel the need to show her the ashes of a once-great program.
Old 04-16-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,760 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
"One Breath" is one of my favorite episodes. That rowboat is one of the best-done metaphors I've ever seen on television.

RE: John Doggett -- the character was great and the actor was giving it his all, but the program had run out of gas. Chris Carter and Co were out of ideas and were just thrashing around. Around season six or seven, I saw an interview with Carter saying that he was happy and was wrapping up the program. Only a few months later, he said in another interview that Fox had given him so much money that he couldn't say no, and that he thought there were some good plots left.

Mrs Danger had never seen the X-Files, so I was excited to share it with her. But I only bought seasons 1-6, because I didn't feel the need to show her the ashes of a once-great program.
RE: John Doggett:

Spoiler:
The problem with Doggett is the way he was integrated into the show. He was brought in as a fairly obvious replacement for Mulder since Duchovney was getting squirrely around season seven.

They should have closed off Mulder's character arc instead of just leaving him in jeopardy (the abducion in season eight, on the lamb in season nine) and then brought in Doggett to partner with Scully. The way it turned out, the spectre of Mulder hung over the last two seasons and it just felt like they were fishing around for direction.

Knowing that DD's contract was up at the end of season seven, they should have used that season to close off Mulder and his quest for truth; and either kill him off just give him closure.

Instead, we got a season seven full of awkward one-off episodes and joke episodes while everyone was waiting for DD to either shit or get off of the toilet.

In a way, I think it might have been interesting if Mulder had joined "The Conspiracy" at the end of season seven, become a bad guy, and then had Doggett pair up with Scully as his replacement on The X-Files. That way, his character is closed off, but still available for an occasional guest appearance, and then something huge for the series finale.
Old 04-21-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is it going?
Old 04-21-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
How is it going?
I'm on a new schedule that by the time i get home i barely have enough time to get in an episode. But the weekend i'll have plenty of time to catch up. Still on season two.
Old 04-22-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool, I'm enjoying the updates.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
RE: John Doggett:

Spoiler:
The problem with Doggett is the way he was integrated into the show. He was brought in as a fairly obvious replacement for Mulder since Duchovney was getting squirrely around season seven.

They should have closed off Mulder's character arc instead of just leaving him in jeopardy (the abducion in season eight, on the lamb in season nine) and then brought in Doggett to partner with Scully. The way it turned out, the spectre of Mulder hung over the last two seasons and it just felt like they were fishing around for direction.
Totally.

Spoiler:
Kinda similar to how Zach Braff managed to drag down the final season of Scrubs.
Old 04-23-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

12 "Aubrey" Rob Bowman Sara B. Charno January 6, 1995

Episode felt kinda weak. Didn't care for the main girl that kept digging up bodies. Seems like x-files likes to revisit the theme of humans being possessed.
Althogh i did like Mulders facination with women named BJ

13 "Irresistible" David Nutter Chris Carter January 13, 1995
Great performances by Gillian Anderson and the serial killer.
Old 04-24-11, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

14 "Die Hand Die Verletzt" Kim Manners Glen Morgan & James Wong January 27, 1995

Loved this episode. A truly scary episode that ranks up there with Tooms. Everything from the actors playing the demonic teachers and parents, to the cinematography, music all were top notch. It felt like a mini-movie.
Old 04-26-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

16 "Colony"** Nick Marck Teleplay by: Chris Carter
Story by: David Duchovny & Chris Carter February 10, 1995

Fox: Who's that talking to mom?

Fox's Father : Your sister

Best episode of season 2 so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.