Old 02-04-11, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Fringe -- "Concentrate and Ask Again" -- 2/04/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When a scientist falls dead after ingesting a lethal cloud of blue powder and his bones disintegrate in his body, the CDC suspects a biological attack. As the Fringe Team investigates further, a subject from Walter's past with ties to Olivia reluctantly agrees to assist with the intense case.

Episode 12 of 22

Sneak Preview with some interviews:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dkvfASNVsEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-04-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fringe -- "Concentrate and Ask Again" -- 2/04/11

It would have made more sense to bring the patient to the mindreader in the woods and he wouldn't have had to navigate through the many minds in Boston. Having him there at the event to identify the guys in question made more sense, though. This was a FOTW episode for those who've missed that type of episode. I like the Peter/Olivia issues. Of course the mindreader says you shouldn't know exactly what other people are thinking, then proceeds to let Olivia know what Peter's thinking. Good job.
Old 02-04-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

I liked it. They're still doing a good job of dealing with the Peter/Olivia/Fauxlivia issues while telling the larger story. Although the ending of this episode indicates that the Peter/Olivia/Fauxlivia issue IS the larger story.

I thought the note the mind reader left for Olivia would have something to do with Peter being the one who killed the shapeshifters.

Looks like next week's episode will follow the alt-universe Fringe team.
Old 02-05-11, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
Of course the mindreader says you shouldn't know exactly what other people are thinking, then proceeds to let Olivia know what Peter's thinking. Good job.
He didn't let her know. By writing it down and putting it in an envelope she had the choice not to look. By opening and reading the note she "read Peter's mind". Same as if she had the chance to really read his mind. Now she knows what it's like to find out these things and what a bummer it is. She told him to approach that girl he liked, now she knows exactly why he is scared to do it.
Old 02-05-11, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by MikahC
It would have made more sense to bring the patient to the mindreader in the woods and he wouldn't have had to navigate through the many minds in Boston.
He probably wasn't stable enough for that kind of travel.

Loved the Dr. Spock/William Bell joke.
Old 02-05-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
He didn't let her know. By writing it down and putting it in an envelope she had the choice not to look. By opening and reading the note she "read Peter's mind". Same as if she had the chance to really read his mind. Now she knows what it's like to find out these things and what a bummer it is. She told him to approach that girl he liked, now she knows exactly why he is scared to do it.
He gave her the information. That's what letting someone know something means. If I leave my best friend a message that his wife is cheating on his voice mail, I'm not letting him know because he has to decide whether to listen to it or not? Nah. If you hand Olivia (or really, anyone) a letter, she's going to read it.

Also, Olivia's harmless wish to be able to read Peter's mind (who hasn't wished that at some point) doesn't require a tough love lesson so she no longer wishes that. Mind Reader Guy had already told her people shouldn't know exactly what others think. Move on. It's not like she was about to go down a dark path and he was deterring her. She had no way of acting on her desire to know exactly what Peter was thinking -- until he gave it to her.

If you have a conviction, live by it. He turns right around and undercuts his own conviction. And why? To prove to someone isn't an on-going part of his life that his conviction is correct? Who cares if she agrees? She can't do anything about it. What wimpiness. You may as well tell your girlfriend you don't believe in premarital sex, have sex with her, then say, "See, this is why I don't believe in premarital sex."

Originally Posted by TerryW
He probably wasn't stable enough for that kind of travel.
Fragile patients are airlfted all the time. I don't buy that it's more realistic to make him navigate Boston and evacuate a whole hospital floor. BTW, "within 50 feet" covers up and down too, so they'd have to evacuate 5 floors down and 5 floors up (a sphere).

Still, those were just minor quibbles. Overall, the episode was decent, and the Peter/Olivia stuff was good. It treads dangerous waters, though. Olivia is in danger of taking romantic interest into romantic poppycock. There's a point where "I want you" should be enough if stated truthfully and supported with actions. Olivia is making like she's disappointed that this cosmic connection they had was broken. Well you know what? They weren't even a couple. So if you care about him and and you're hurt that he cared for someone else (even though you understand), I'm in for that. But they need to be careful about how they execute this storyline. So far, so good.
Old 02-05-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Walter was great, as usual.
"I broke wind in my (biohazard) suit"
"Punch buggy blue!"

Yay, altverse story next week!
Old 02-05-11, 09:34 AM

what are they implying with Sam being the author of those books? That looks like an interesting tangent.
Old 02-05-11, 10:44 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
what are they implying with Sam being the author of those books? That looks like an interesting tangent.
I was wondering the same thing.

I like how they opened the door to their being more children like Olivia. I thought that it was dumb to close it like that last season with those final four. But as in everything, you can open any "door" when you need to. Walter is a good vehicle for that.
Old 02-05-11, 12:20 PM
ATX

i'm glad they went back to the Sam character instead of acting like he never happened

all O needs to do is get off her horse and make Pete forget about Faux

she was making progress, now it looks like w/ that letter the mindreader left she's gonna go back into bitchmode

hopefully she takes the different preferred approach and try to make Faux a memory
Old 02-05-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I liked it also and that they are continuing to touch on the Peter/Olivia/Fauxlivia storyline as well with the cases of the week.

at Walter driving to New Hampshire and running out of gas and asking Peter to bring money for food.

I agree that if Olivia cares enough about Peter, she should do something about it than rubbing it in to him how much he enjoyed banging Fauxlivia.

and Olivia did look good in that dress and that was badass with her using the silencer on the 2 suspects.

at the William Bell/Dr. Spock's books.

Looking forward to the alternate universe episode next week.
Old 02-05-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read online that the Observer was at the gala event, but watched it over and over and never saw him. Anyone care to point out exactly where he was? I started wondering if when I DVR'd it the picture was altered in some way that cut out the Observer.
Old 02-06-11, 05:40 PM

Question about Nina in this episode...

Towards the end of the episode, when she figured out that the bowling alley guy's name was an anagram for the First People author's, was she shown with no gloves on? I thought that her fake arm didn't have a skin-like covering over it, and she always wore a black glove over the arm.

I'm trying to remember if her arm was replaced in a past episode or something, but I can't remember anything like that, but it does seem like a fairly large detail to overlook.
Old 02-08-11, 01:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Olivia's dolled up hairdo was so much nicer than her usual ponytail...
Old 02-08-11, 01:23 PM

The way Olivia tries to smile everytime she starts talking about something uncomfortable is heartbreaking.

There needs to be more episode with excuses to get her into an evening gown.

I'm guessing that by the end of the season, Peter is an all out villain.

D
Old 02-08-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by joefrog91
I read online that the Observer was at the gala event, but watched it over and over and never saw him. Anyone care to point out exactly where he was? I started wondering if when I DVR'd it the picture was altered in some way that cut out the Observer.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Hizu3Hw7Ss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-09-11, 11:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Finally caught up with this episode -- really liked it. Great scene between Peter/Olivia around him adding milk to her coffee.
Old 02-09-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait..so Peter still has feelings for the version of Olivia that was going out with him and banging him and not the version that is mad at him for loving her? What a total dick! Not too interested in the love triangle thing being drawn out, but only because I still think Olivia is being a total bitch about the situation and not looking at the obvious fact that Peter is in love with her and not that he knowing loved Fauxlivia just because she was different. ARGH!

Super excited for next week. Any thoughts on it maybe being an origin story of sorts? The have referenced Charlie and his "bugs" a few times when he had to take meds. What we saw of next week seems to be something right in that ballpark. Hmmmm...
Old 02-09-11, 01:54 PM

Is fringe the only show that randomly switches up going straight into the show or going to commercials after the opening credits? I don't recall any other show doing this. I hate it because I don't know whether I should start fast forwarding or not.
Old 02-09-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Super J
Is fringe the only show that randomly switches up going straight into the show or going to commercials after the opening credits? I don't recall any other show doing this. I hate it because I don't know whether I should start fast forwarding or not.
No...it happens with some other shows too. I think it usually depends on the length of the show open. It's off and on with Office and 30 Rock sometimes too. Usually, it's opposite of what I do.