The Office -- "The Seminar" -- 1/27/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Seminar" -- 1/27/11

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
One scene does not an episode make.
That was one scene of many in this episode that felt like classic Office to me. But what do I know, I've only been watching since Episode 1.
Old 01-28-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That was one scene of many in this episode that felt like classic Office to me. But what do I know, I've only been watching since Episode 1.
Me too
Old 01-28-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinata242
Sorry. I misread your initial post. I knew Gervais was coming back, but I thought you were saying he was only getting a 3 second cameo. My bad.
Old 01-28-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You guys weren't at Kevin running around to Ozzy and then collapsing on the floor and That was absolutely freakin' hilarious
Laughed until I cried.
Old 01-28-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I agree. I really liked the episode. Lots of great moments.
Old 01-28-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Andy's big plan was to sell these people some kind of small business kit in hopes that they would some day come back and he could sell them paper for Sabre? What? I don't really get the seminar. Anyway it was kind of funny. Holly really needs to go though. She's more annoying that Micheal ever was. I cringe when she enters the scene.
Old 01-28-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At first I thought the seminar had nothing to do with Sabre and paper and it was just a side-scheme to make money.

I was confused when paper was brought into it.

I don't like Andy. Never have. I don't like Ed Helms. I didn't like The Hangover. I don't know why Andy is still there, much less getting an expanded role. I don't like Andy's crush on Erin, either.

*huff puff huff puff* ----- *puke!*
Old 01-28-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

As someone who never watched the UK Office, I wish the intro was set up better. Otherwise it means nothing unless you know who David Brent is.
Old 01-28-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopower
So Andy's big plan was to sell these people some kind of small business kit in hopes that they would some day come back and he could sell them paper for Sabre? What? I don't really get the seminar.
He was using the seminar to generate leads - small business owners just getting started who probably didn't have a paper supplier. He said he wasn't good at sales, so this was an attempt to bring potential clients to him. Not a great idea, but he felt he had to do something.

I assumed the "kit" was just like a first-order or introductory order package.
Old 01-28-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I don't like Andy. Never have. I don't like Ed Helms. I didn't like The Hangover. I don't know why Andy is still there, much less getting an expanded role. I don't like Andy's crush on Erin, either.
I didn't like him at first either, but he's grown on me. And ... not liking The Hangover?!? Ghastly!
Old 01-28-11, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
As someone who never watched the UK Office, I wish the intro was set up better. Otherwise it means nothing unless you know who David Brent is.
I think that was the point, it was just a little fan service for those familiar with David Brent. I watched the UK Office years ago, I don't think being familiar with the original show really sets up the scene better. Really, there is no way to set that up without ruining the effect.

All you need to know is that Ricky Gervais played Michael's role in the original Office, and even if you don't know that it's still just a harmless interaction that at worst would seem a bit random.
Old 01-28-11, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Holly really needs to go though. She's more annoying that Micheal ever was. I cringe when she enters the scene.
I know it's supposed to be awkward, but every time Holly and Micheal are doing some back and forth voices, it's just painful to watch. I don't know if Holly is more annoying now or what but I'm not exactly rooting for them to get back together anymore.
Old 01-28-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
I think that was the point, it was just a little fan service for those familiar with David Brent. I watched the UK Office years ago, I don't think being familiar with the original show really sets up the scene better. Really, there is no way to set that up without ruining the effect.

All you need to know is that Ricky Gervais played Michael's role in the original Office, and even if you don't know that it's still just a harmless interaction that at worst would seem a bit random.
Clearly it was fan service and I understand that all UK Office watchers need to know is who the character is to get it, but I think they could have set up the encounter better so that it would be less random for anyone who doesn't know who that is.
Old 01-28-11, 07:56 PM
Banned

I know it's supposed to be awkward, but every time Holly and Micheal are doing some back and forth voices, it's just painful to watch. I don't know if Holly is more annoying now or what but I'm not exactly rooting for them to get back together anymore.
What, really?! There are people who actually think like this? I'm sorry you're dead inside. These two are at their best when they're together. I'm constantly impressed with how well the writers put across how they're obviously meant to be with each other.

And if you don't like her, you should probably rethink that last sentence you typed, because it doesn't make any sense. If they get together then she is obviously leaving with Michael. Saying you don't want them to get back together seems like saying you want her to stay on the show, even once he's gone.

So they should cater to the whims of people who couldn't be bothered to watch a 14 episode series from 10 years ago for a minute-long bit of fanservice? That's ridiculous, to say the least.
Old 01-28-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I just caught this today and it was just alright.

The Michael/David Brent open was good and I enjoyed that it appeared to be unscripted.

But, Andy's plot was almost unwatchable.

I kind of liked Erin's subplot and the end when she was surprised that Shrek 2 existed.
Old 01-28-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

For those, like me, that may have missed it:
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/L6rl-TZw_Vdld2aQHDgMKg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/L6rl-TZw_Vdld2aQHDgMKg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 01-28-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
So they should cater to the whims of people who couldn't be bothered to watch a 14 episode series from 10 years ago for a minute-long bit of fanservice? That's ridiculous, to say the least.
It's not catering when the US series has been entirely independent of the UK for 7 seasons. I think it's silly for you to assume the millions of US viewers should seek out a 10 year old UK series. I don't mind fan service, I just think it could have been presented better. Not sure why that's so ridiculous
Old 01-28-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And that's fine because it's still funny to just see a guy who totally gets Michael. They even dressed them the same.
Old 01-28-11, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was shocked by how funny last week's episode was. This episode was extremely bland in comparison. I might have laughed once.
Old 01-28-11, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
What, really?! There are people who actually think like this? I'm sorry you're dead inside. These two are at their best when they're together. I'm constantly impressed with how well the writers put across how they're obviously meant to be with each other.
Is it really that impressive? Micheal approaches Holly with one of his terrible impressions, then Holly plays along. Hey look, they're soul mates, because they're doing the same thing! Maybe I'm just missing the complex subtleties of the relationship, on account of me being dead inside.
Old 01-28-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And that's fine because it's still funny to just see a guy who totally gets Michael. They even dressed them the same.
Well that was the point of my comment initially, that I didn't find it very funny. Forget it, I guess i'm alone on this

Is it really that impressive? Micheal approaches Holly with one of his terrible impressions, then Holly plays along. Hey look, they're soul mates, because they're doing the same thing! Maybe I'm just missing the complex subtleties of the relationship, on account of me being dead inside.
I agree, at least so far this season. The Greek thing and the ET thing from the other week weren't particularly funny to me. I enjoyed it when Holly was initially around, but I think it should show that they're compatible for something other then making silly voices and characters all the time together.
Old 01-28-11, 11:54 PM

Clearly it was fan service and I understand that all UK Office watchers need to know is who the character is to get it, but I think they could have set up the encounter better so that it would be less random for anyone who doesn't know who that is.
I see your point, I'm just not sure how it could have been set up better without either wasting too much time or breaking the fourth wall.
Old 01-29-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They could've had Brent step out of the elevator with his own camera crew, lol.
Old 01-29-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved Kevin saying he was the "Charm" type

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y6-7zbclrxs" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 01-29-11, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kstublen
They could've had Brent step out of the elevator with his own camera crew, lol.
I would have loved that but then it'd only garner a major WTF reaction from non-fans of the UK show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.