Old 01-24-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Castle -- "Knockdown" -- 1/24/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Old wounds are reopened when the retired lead detective on Beckett's mother's homicide case contacts her with new information, but then is gunned down right in front of Beckett before he can tell her what he knows. The investigation into his death leads back to a decades-old conspiracy that may hold the answer to who was behind Beckett's mother murder and why. With the stakes and emotions running high, Castle and Beckett take their partnership to the next level.

Episode 13 of 24

Preview:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dvG0MK6BQ9s" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Looks great, can't wait for this one.
Old 01-24-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Castle -- "Knockdown" -- 1/24/11

Solid episode, although I hope they aren't building up the killer of Beckett's mother to be more powerful than is believable.

Stana Katic looked fantastic.

Did I miss Molly Quinn somewhere? I don't recall her being in this episode at all.
Old 01-25-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Did I miss Molly Quinn somewhere? I don't recall her being in this episode at all.
Ditto. Although the scene with Castle and his mom was great, I'm surprised the daughter didn't show up to express a similar sentiment.
Old 01-25-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They so rarely give Castle's mom any chance to break her flamboyant personality that it was good to see a different side of her.
Old 01-25-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I found the individual elements of the episode pretty enjoyable I didn't like the overall story. But to be fair the overarching series storyline on quasi-procedural shows are kind of a pet peeve of mine. They always feel dragged out and become overcomplicated and more ridiculous as the show goes along. When the guy was all "You have no idea how high this goes! You're waking a dragon!" it was too much.
Old 01-25-11, 09:57 PM

I think the daughter was kept out as anything she had to say would have weakened the subtext of Castle being in harm's way - Castle's mother played the scene flawlessly.

Despite the tone, they still snuck in some comedy ... "Tell me what the cops know!" ... "It's too late, they know all about me and your mother." Gold.

This was my favourite Castle episode to date. The conspiracy is over the top, or nearly so, but the way the actors played it was great. Castle's mother had her best scene yet, as did Castle when he told Becket he would have been long gone if he was just writing books. Series that are dark and brooding don't hold my interest, but the difference between this episode and previous Castle outings was striking and a real treat.

More than ever I am looking forward to seeing where the show goes next.
Old 01-27-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent episode. One of the best so far this season. I am trying to remember...is that the first time Beckett and Castle have kissed?
Old 01-27-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Beckett looked fantastic in this ep. It more than made up for the lack of Molly Quinn
Old 01-27-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZdjaqsycDM

Beckett hair (and makeup) the first 2 seasons. That's in honor of the fact that in the beginning, folks were wondering if the actress is lesbian in real life. We've gone from that to this most recent episode where she was flat out hot.
Old 01-28-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djones6746
I am trying to remember...is that the first time Beckett and Castle have kissed?
I believe so... and that would be why Castle was so extremely stunned speechless afterwards. That combined with him facing the truth that he really had no need to continue his "partnership" with Beckett in order to continue writing Nikki Heat novels obviously blew him away. I too am interested to see where the heck they're headed with that storyline!
Old 01-28-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MikahC

Beckett hair (and makeup) the first 2 seasons. That's in honor of the fact that in the beginning, folks were wondering if the actress is lesbian in real life. We've gone from that to this most recent episode where she was flat out hot.
I don't recall anyone thinking she was a lesbian. I do recall her as the bubbly and cute cop in The Spirit. The only time I didn't care for her look was in Quantum Of Solace.
Old 01-28-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I don't recall anyone thinking she was a lesbian. I do recall her as the bubbly and cute cop in The Spirit. The only time I didn't care for her look was in Quantum Of Solace.
Stana and Paz Vega were the only good things in The Spirit.

Was Stana in a "blink and you'll see her" type of role in QoS? I really don't remember seeing her in that movie.
Old 01-28-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC

Wait!
You don't think her old look was hot?

Old 01-28-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yikes
Old 01-28-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

She was in the end segment where Bond tracked down the guy that was setting her up to think he was in danger so she would steal info to save him.
Old 01-28-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
Was Stana in a "blink and you'll see her" type of role in QoS? I really don't remember seeing her in that movie.
She was "the Canadian" that was briefly mentioned in the Quantum meeting at the opera. You see her at the end with Vesper's boyfriend (the one who supposedly died).

Here's the scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2MYbrQ02s
Old 01-28-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, no wonder I have no recollection of her in QoS, but after seeing the clip, I now vaguely remember it, though since I only watched QoS once, her appearance didn't really leave an impression on me.
Old 01-29-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Since it was the chief detective who shot the man who killed Beckett's mom right as he was about to talk, I thought it would be revealed that he was somehow involved. I doubt they will take that route now. I predict they're going to find out it's someone like New York's mayor, which is really too much of a high level conspiracy stretch for my taste.

Good ep. though. While this show is best when it keeps a comedic tone, they do their serious stuff well.
Old 01-29-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Beckett shot that guy since he had a gun on Castle.
Old 01-29-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, this episode came out of the blue. Usually its so very light and forgettable. This one was good.
Old 02-03-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I thought this was a fantastic episode. In fact, it may be my favorite episode of the series so far!

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Since it was the chief detective who shot the man who killed Beckett's mom right as he was about to talk, I thought it would be revealed that he was somehow involved. I doubt they will take that route now. I predict they're going to find out it's someone like New York's mayor, which is really too much of a high level conspiracy stretch for my taste.
You know, I thought they may actually have pointed out the mayor before the episode was out. Normally I'd say that's cliche, but it would be a pretty big tie into Castle himself since he's been so buddy, buddy with the mayor in the past (at least on the phone).