Reload this Page >

The lightification of shows

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-11-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A few years ago, there were shows like buffy/angel/heroes and others which, although had comedic moments, were serious and spent time reflecting.
Currentlt we have Psych, No Ordinary Family, Castle which have a lighthearted take on crime dram. Dexter is an exception.

Has the audience grown tired of serious shows due to the financial crisis?
Old 01-11-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The lightification of shows

What about Supernatural, Hawaii Five-O, Terriers, Burn Notice, White Collar, The Closer or Covert Affairs to name a few? I don't even see No Ordinary Family as "light" as you seem to as the show progresses. The story arc for this season is starting to get pretty dark as it progresses.
Old 01-11-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you asking if shows with a strictly dramatic have lost their audience due to a lack of interest? Or if these shows are down due to real-life economic/social issues of the day?

I wouldn't be surprised if more serious minded shows are not doing as well right now due to economic stress. Many people (not all!) view television as an escape from the pressures and issues of real-life. It may be the current trend to produce dramatic procedural shows that have a more overt comedic tone.

As far as another Buffy, or Angel, or Heroes, depends if the audience exists. Buffy and Angel were never breakout series in terms of ratings (hence why they survived on low-rated networks The WB and UPN). Heroes died due to a combination of the writer's strike (which resulted in lower TV viewership across the board) and terrible storytelling after season one.

It's a cyclical business, and trends change. It may be in a few years we return back to shows that have a more serious, reflective tone. Doesn't mean TV is getting worse, it's a constantly evolving medium that has to make changes, and part of those changes involve sustaining an audience.
Old 01-11-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
A few years ago, there were shows like buffy/angel/heroes and others which, although had comedic moments, were serious and spent time reflecting.
Currentlt we have Psych, No Ordinary Family, Castle which have a lighthearted take on crime dram. Dexter is an exception.

Has the audience grown tired of serious shows due to the financial crisis?
No. There's always been room for light hearted dramas in the mix with the super serious ones which still take up most of the air waves. However, it does appear people have grown tired of these shows taking themselves too seriously. Alas, serious drama is still the most highly rated stuff out there - NCIS, CSI, CSI:NY, Law and Order:SVU, Southland, The Closer, The First 48 (though that's reality tv), etc;

Also, Psych started at the same time as Heroes, so it isn't exactly a new breed of show. Plus it survives off comparatively low ratings since it's on cable.
Old 01-11-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

The Good Wife is a serious drama with lighthearted moments that is critically acclaimed and garners high ratings.
Old 01-11-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i don't watch that due to the economic climate.
Old 01-11-11, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
No. There's always been room for light hearted dramas in the mix with the super serious ones which still take up most of the air waves. However, it does appear people have grown tired of these shows taking themselves too seriously. Alas, serious drama is still the most highly rated stuff out there - NCIS, CSI, CSI:NY, Law and Order:SVU, Southland, The Closer, The First 48 (though that's reality tv), etc;
Wait, what? Southland...highly-rated? Is that why NBC canceled it and it was relegated to TNT (Is that even the network it's on now, I don't know.)

Southland may be a critical darling, and I don't even know if that much is true, but I wouldn't use it to try and make a point that "serious drama is still the most highly rated stuff out there".
Old 01-11-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

It seems that once Monk took off, tons of comedy-heavy drama shows started popping up. Chuck, Psych, Royal Pains, Burn Notice, etc.

They are OK but, like Monk, they get old fairly quickly as the comedy becomes the foremost element of the shows.
Old 01-11-11, 03:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

at Buffy, Angel, and Heroes being mentioned as "dark" shows.
Old 01-11-11, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdollaz
It seems that once Monk took off, tons of comedy-heavy drama shows started popping up. Chuck, Psych, Royal Pains, Burn Notice, etc.

They are OK but, like Monk, they get old fairly quickly as the comedy becomes the foremost element of the shows.
Aren't all these shows on the same network (USA), anyway?
Old 01-11-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Wait, what? Southland...highly-rated? Is that why NBC canceled it and it was relegated to TNT (Is that even the network it's on now, I don't know.)

Southland may be a critical darling, and I don't even know if that much is true, but I wouldn't use it to try and make a point that "serious drama is still the most highly rated stuff out there".
it's on TNT, more an example of just a serious show than a highly rated one.
Old 01-11-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Part of the reason that NBC didn't proceed with the Season 2 episodes was that they no longer had a 10PM hour to put it on, as Leno was occupying Mon-Fri.
Old 01-12-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
at Buffy, Angel, and Heroes being mentioned as "dark" shows.
I think Angel is pretty dark. Not as dark, as, say, a Lars von Trier film, but it's no Partridge Family.