Old 12-13-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Hawaii Five-O -- "Hana 'a'a Makehewa" -- 12/13/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
It's Christmas in Hawaii, but instead of celebrating, Five-0 is negotiating a hostage situation when Victor Hesse resurfaces. Hesse, threatens to detonate an explosive that he's strapped to Chin Ho's chest.

Episode 11 of 22-24

Special Guest Stars:

Spoiler:
James Marsters as Victor Hesse (last seen in the Pilot)
Mark Dacascos as Wo Fat
Will Yun Lee as Sang Min

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bze5-ieYrXA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bze5-ieYrXA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last episode of the year. Returns January 3rd

Nice little interview here with Peter Lenkov, the showrunner, and Daniel Dae Kim. They talk about the season so far and what's ahead.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/interv...3_hawaiifive0/
Old 12-13-10, 05:08 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: Hawaii Five-O -- "Hana 'a'a Makehewa" -- 12/13/10

Originally Posted by DJariya
Special Guest Stars:

Spoiler:
Mark Dacascos as Wo Fat
It's the Chairman! Sweet!
Old 12-14-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah some classic Dr Evil bad guy work in this ep!

Detonation Device Options?
A. Oldschool clacker switch
B. Countdown timer with code to disarm
C. Super overly complicated finger print recognition wireless device with long delay timer activation.
D. Cellphone activated switch

Bad guy "Well I like the fool proof nature of A, B and D, but something about C is really catching my eye!"
Old 12-14-10, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
It's the Chairman! Sweet!
Exactly! The reason we haven't seen Wo Fat yet is because he's been hiding in Kitchen Stadium.

The fight scenes though should be really good when they get around to them.
Old 12-14-10, 08:36 AM

I didn't think it was one of the best 5-0 episodes of this season, so far. It was't horrible, but it was kind of a let down after the opening scene. This show always kind of grabs you in the first few seconds, and then sometimes the show lives up to the start and sometimes not.

The best thing about it was the re-apppearance of Wo Fat and the references to the killing of McGarrett's father and the son's investigation and what that will mean for future eps. But, that was only the last few seconds.

What was your favorite episode of the fall part of this show so far?

My vote goes to the ep with Emmanuelle Vaugier and Max Martini in the episode having to do with the assassination plot of the foreign dignitary -- ep title = "Po'ipu"
Old 12-14-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I'm sure Hawaii had something to say about the description of the hostess bar.

"What, they don't get to touch them?!"
Old 12-15-10, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by northmoor
I didn't think it was one of the best 5-0 episodes of this season, so far. It was't horrible, but it was kind of a let down after the opening scene. This show always kind of grabs you in the first few seconds, and then sometimes the show lives up to the start and sometimes not.

The best thing about it was the re-apppearance of Wo Fat and the references to the killing of McGarrett's father and the son's investigation and what that will mean for future eps. But, that was only the last few seconds.

What was your favorite episode of the fall part of this show so far?

My vote goes to the ep with Emmanuelle Vaugier and Max Martini in the episode having to do with the assassination plot of the foreign dignitary -- ep title = "Po'ipu"
Yeah it definitely wasn't one of the better 5-0 episodes this season. It was just okay. I appreciated that this was a follow up to the Pilot episode and included more storyline about McGarrett's father and of course Victor Hesse, since we didn't see his body after McGarrett shot him. I also didn't think the non-linear storytelling worked very well. It was a little repetitive.

I had to laugh about the blue prints to the Police headquarters where the money was being stored and there was luckily an underground tunnel that led directly to the locker. And there was no cameras to top it off. And of course they throw in the nosy old lady...Why couldn't Kono have just shown her badge and say she's a Cop? Seemed like they were taking a page from 24 and CTU's Underground tunnels.

I like the introduction of Wo Fat now that Hesse is out of the picture. Hopefully the writers know what the hell to do with him. Since Mark Dacascos is a trained martial artist, I would like to see them utilize those skills.

Oh yeah, someone pointed out a week or 2 ago how McGarrett always calls the team "Five-O" when they go on busts etc. Now that bugs the crap out of me as I wonder is everyone in the State of Hawaii is supposed to know what the fuck "Five-o" means? Did the original McGarrett always call the team "Five-O" as well?

Last edited by DJariya; 12-15-10 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-15-10, 07:52 AM
Banned

I wonder how the stolen money could even come back to hurt McGarrett, considering the fact that we didn't see any cameras. How would they know it was him?

It's undoubtedly going to be an issue, since they spent so much time playing the dramatic music as he watched the money go up in flames,combined with the conversation between him and Danno after he decided to keep it from the governor.
Old 12-15-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

at $28M asset forfeiture money sitting there for 8 years in a 'vault' so easy to access. Yeah, the police nor government wouldn't have put that money to use.

And what a lame Wo Fat.
Old 12-15-10, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog
r

And what a lame Wo Fat.
WTF? He said like 5 words.
Old 12-15-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
WTF? He said like 5 words.
It's the guy from Iron Chef. How menacing can he be?

The original - now there was a Wo Fat.
Old 12-15-10, 08:41 AM

For those who aren't familiar with the old series... I give you the original Steve McGarrett (Jack Lord) and Wo Fat (Khigh Dheigh):

Old 12-15-10, 08:49 AM
Banned

Wow, I have to assume that you only know Mark Dacascos from Iron Chef. That's the only reason someone would make such an ignorant statement.
Old 12-15-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm ignorant enough that I didn't know his real name, so yeah.
Old 12-15-10, 08:57 AM

It's better to know him as The Chairman from Iron Chef America than as Jimmy Lee in Double Dragon.
Old 12-15-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
It's better to know him as The Chairman from Iron Chef America than as Jimmy Lee in Double Dragon.
Yeah, I looked at imdb. It's no wonder I don't know him outside of ICA - not into martial arts films. I can see him portraying an action-type villain, which I suppose would fit this version of H50 more.
Old 12-15-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Dacascos is fucking awesome in Brotherhood of the Wolf.

The only thing I didn't like was the "heist" for the money. They had three hours to get the van and the costumes and drive to the station, and then the "break-in" was so easy I could have done it. I usually give the show a pass but that was just dumb. He should have just talked the governor into giving him the money. They could have still gone with him losing it (which was very unexpected, so nice job there) and dealing with the aftermath that way.
Old 12-15-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven
He should have just talked the governor into giving him the money.
Funny thing is that if it was a crony friend of the Guv's, she would have forked over the money in a heartbeat. Poor Chin.
Old 12-30-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did a 12 episode marathon and loving it so far. Yeah, there's plenty ridiculous about it ("We're 5-0!"; the absurd plot devices like secret underground tunnels; bank robbing triathletes; the cliched troubled sister; etc.), but I liken it to Nikita, another show where it's best to leave brain at door.

Highlights:

The awesome array of guest stars from Mark Dacascos (Brotherhood of the Wolf), Jason Scott Lee (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story), Kevin Sorbo (Hercules), James Marsden (Buffy), Kelly Hu (Scorpion King), Max Martini (The Unit), Balthasar Getty from some of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Grace Park (big fan of hers from BSG)

The banter between Caan and O'Loughlin (which hasn't grown grating...yet)

That there's some gray in the portrayal of Kim's character.

The many locales used in the series. My son is part Hawaiian so it's cool to point out places where he's been and where his mom was from.

The SWAT action and SEAL stuff (I'm a geek for that...and it's believably filmed)

Can't wait for the other installments.
Old 12-30-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I totally dig McGarrett's flat backpack.
Old 12-31-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Just did a 12 episode marathon and loving it so far. Yeah, there's plenty ridiculous about it ("We're 5-0!"; the absurd plot devices like secret underground tunnels; bank robbing triathletes; the cliched troubled sister; etc.), but I liken it to Nikita, another show where it's best to leave brain at door.
The next episode will bring a tweak that will wrap up the storyline for McGarrett's sister. According to "TV Guide":

MaryAnn proved a challenge for producers from the beginning. She was originally slated to appear in the first four episodes and recur throughout the season. "The family mystery was supposed to slowly unfold over the first season and I was going to play a big part in that with my own Nancy Drew mission," says Taryn, who had been under the impression that her character would even return for future seasons. "It was told to me that the first season would be based around the team more, and I should just hang tight."

However, producers chose to shift greater focus to McGarrett's professional associations and less on his personal life. There was also concern that too much was being revealed too soon about the murdered mother. Also taken in the upcoming episode is Steve's father's lock box, which contains clues to the mother's disappearance. "I think they were going to show more of this throughout the season, but now it's all wrapped up in this episode," says Taryn.